Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Whats wrong with my scanner?

We purchased a Lexmark scanner a few months ago. My scans seem to be getting worse. Here is an example of two scans. The first one is not from my scanner

imageimage

Look at how white the flip is on the first scan and its really clear. My scan the flip looks off-white and dull.

I am scanning at 300dpi

Any ideas?

Thanks

matt

Comments

• Options
    zef204zef204 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭
    What model is it? I bought a scanner recently and it was somewhat pricey, I think in the $275 range. It's a multi function thingy but the scans are sweet.

As for the color, I don't know if there is an option on the scan for that. You may have a setting when you crop and save that might fcuk with it but from the scan side, if thats how it goes I think your up the creek.
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    zef

I think it was the best one at the store we bought it at. Its a Lexmark x7170. I dont get it. When I first got it, the scans were great. Now they look terrrible.

Matt
  • Options
    zef204zef204 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭

<< <i>zef

I think it was the best one at the store we bought it at. Its a Lexmark x7170. I dont get it. When I first got it, the scans were great. Now they look terrrible.

Matt >>

Have you cleaned the glass?
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options
    Yup, Still bad

At least on a positive note, I just ordered 14 wax boxes of early '90s football from bbcardexchange. It only cost 162.00

I feel better now image

Matt
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Whats wrong with my scanner? >>

in my professional opinion, i diagnose it as "gradually keeps sucking worser than it did the day before"..
    ·p_A·
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Whats wrong with my scanner? >>

in my professional opinion, i diagnose it as "gradually keeps sucking worser than it did the day before".. >>

I will concur or something.

• Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    I am using the same model.

If you hate the scans, you might try using a different
    picture manager. Also, go to their site and download
    the latest versions of their software.

Try not using the "quick fix" button, and using the manual
    adjustments first.

Also, the other card you showed for comparison could
    have been brightened up or otherwise adjusted manually.

The X7170 is pretty cheap and I think it may be on the near
    obsolete list. I have had it for more than a year. I am
    satisfied with the scans, but I am not looking for super
    high end pix.

The printer part of the X7170 has been a pain in the neck.
    It never wants to grab the paper when it should. I have
    to jiggle it and respond to repeated error messages. The
    paper-grabber thingey spins and spins, but seldom grabs
    the paper without my help.

I do not think I would buy another one of their scanners.

storm
    Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    My sure you have the latest driver for the scanner.

The lexmark site should have the latest driver.

Also try a computer help site.

I use Bleepingcomputer.com.

The advice is pretty good and they tolerate PC dummies like me

• Options
    jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a Canon scanner. I can scan flat items with no problem but when trying to scan a slabbed cards, the scans come out too dark. Any ideas what I can do to make them better?
    James
  • Options

<< <i>I have a Canon scanner. I can scan flat items with no problem but when trying to scan a slabbed cards, the scans come out too dark. Any ideas what I can do to make them better?
    James >>

I have the perfect solution for both of our scanners. I will "send it over" to you when I am through with it.

ps I will give you a 3 day advanced notice image

matt
  • Options
    as for scans coming out too dark....leave the cover open instead of putting it down on the card. Get a piece of white paper and just cover your cards with that as a background.

Note:if you have dark cards...like 85 Donruss..86 Donruss..71 Topps...use a white back ground..
    If the cards are light...use a black pice of paper...it will add more definition to your cards..

As for the flips being too dark lawnmowerman....try another dpi...I scan at 200 dpi....100% size....and then, if necessary...resize after the scan comes out.
    Also...check your sharpness....you can add or take away depending on your scanner.....

Go with a bigger scan...it takes longer...but is worth it in the long run.
  • Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    "I have a Canon scanner. I can scan flat items with no problem but when trying to scan a slabbed cards, the scans come out too dark. Any ideas what I can do to make them better?"
    James

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Try not closing the lid at all. Instead, place a big piece
    of colored craft-paper over the card on the bed. Make
    sure that as little light as possible is coming in under
    the craft-paper. Should help some.

If you have just been closing the lid and leaving a
    big crack at the non-hinge side, that will tend to
    cause the darker images. Also, you might try the
    fix-it software that came with your scanner to
    rehab the images if they are still too dark.

storm
    Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the responses. I have tried covering the card with a towel to keep out some of the light but it didn't help. I'll try scanning with the lid open.
    James
  • Options
    A lot of scan issues with graded cards can have to do with the type of scanner you are using. You need a CCD scanner to do a good job on graded cards because they handle the depth or thickness of a graded card better than a regular scanner.
  • Options
    CCD....

flashback...thought I was going off to Catholic classes again with Sister Paula and her wooden ruler...
  • Options
    Matt,
    Mine seems to work fine...

• Options

<< <i>CCD.... flashback...thought I was going off to Catholic classes again with Sister Paula and her wooden ruler... >>

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>CCD....

flashback...thought I was going off to Catholic classes again with Sister Paula and her wooden ruler... >>

Well now...

Isn't that special...

Mike
  • Options
    The Lexmark center's scan settings have always worked fine on mine, but 150dpi & text/pic seems best.

http://www.scantips.com/

Seems like it has contained answers for most of my snafu's.

good Luck
    Sig: Looking for a recent smr magazine, Please pm if you have one to recycle. Thank You
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Matt - this one was scanned at 250dpi and not run thru HP photo program - so it used a lot of memory at over 135k.

imageimage

The two were run thru the HP photo program which gave me the capability to "compress" the file at two levels. The one on the left at 100kb and the right at 27kb - I can't tell a big difference.

The one above does seem to have more clarity - this is a very old scanner - the underside of the class is really dirty but I'm not about to take it apart right now.

But, the plastic isn't as crisp as the first one you showed - is this age? Or the best the scanner with do?
    Don't know.

Just wanted to illustrate the way the scanner works at 3 different kb levels.
    mike

Mike
  • Options
    Cummon Stone...you just wanted to show that card off...admit it....lol
  • Options