Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1984 Topps Walter Payton - Time to update the SMR

ld_ferg just sold the '84 Payton PSA 9 for $166. The current SMR is $15. I have said for years that the SMR for that card is the least accurate of any card I know. There's something about that card, most seem to have significant print defects. Anyone know what the deal is on that card? I have managed to grade a few 8's but no 9's.

ferg, if you don't mind sharing, how did you acquire that card?

Comments

• Options
    zef204zef204 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭
    Wow, I had no idea how tough that card was. I ripped a 84 rack case years ago and just went to dig up all the Paytons. I don't think there is a 9 in the bunch.

I had no idea that they had such print issues.
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options
    envoy98envoy98 Posts: 4,000 ✭✭
    You want "least accurate"? How about a '66 Philly Chuck Howley. It's not even LISTED in the SMR yet a PSA 9 just sold for $1850 and an 8 will set you back over $300. Which is higher than almost every single card in that set, and just behind guys who have household names...Sayers and Butkus RC's at $500 and $550 respectively. Other cards in the SMR that are listed, are priced as low as $15, yet Howley isn't mentioned.

Zef-You need to send a few of those in. You'll be rich! image
  • Options
    ArnyVeeArnyVee Posts: 4,246
    Those are 8s in Zef's possession though. What would those bring?
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    shea,
    the payton came from a wax box i busted a while back. i'd love to have another box from that same case as almost all cards from that particular box was centered. i purchased a 2nd from the same seller and i'd say over half to 2/3 was OC.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    1966CUDA1966CUDA Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭✭
    Here is another one that doesn't even list in the SMR that I sold a couple months ago: 1967 Topps BB #90 Jim Nash PSA 8...went for over $350???

When/how do they go about updating prices...you'd think they'd have someone monitering current sales numbers don'y you think??

-Claude
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    I had no idea that they had such print issues.

Those aren't print defects, he has a mole under his eye! image
  • Options
    Envoy98,

The 66 Howley PSA 9 was my work. I was hoping to get it under $2,000 and it happened. I also sold my 8 the same day for right at $300. I have seen some go even higher than $350. I mainly collect Cowboys RC's and it seems that I always have to pay up to get them. All in all, I am very happy getting a 1966 PSA 9 two pop Cowboys RC for any price.
  • Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    The 85 payton is the same way.

SMR has a 9 at $85, even though I havent' seen one sell for much less than $200 in a very long time.