Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Which photo gallery do you prefer?

Coinpictures.com is long overdue for an update. Am toying with the idea of redoing the photo gallery mechanism.

Which do you prefer:

1. Old Look. Traditional HTML layout

2. New Look. Uses a flash player mechanism.

All suggestions appreciated...

Comments

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,112 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the first one. Easier for me to work.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    oldshepoldshep Posts: 3,240
    Old look - easier to use and quite nice larger pictures.
    Shep
  • Options
    Yep - I'll second.......errrrr, triple that. image

Old look for me too.
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    I say stick with the old one.
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    A lot of people have flash disabled in their browser as a way to kill all those incredibly annoying animated flash ads that plague the web these days.
    "Think of the Press as a great keyboard on which the Government can play" – Joseph Goebbels

"The Central Intelligence Agency owns everyone of any significance in the major media" - William Colby, former CIA director
  • Options
    coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭
    Yeah, that seems to be the consensus.

I think I'm going to overhaul the site to (1) get rid of the frames, and (2) use small image thumbnails for the obverse and reverse. Rather than trying to cram the display of the full-sized images onto the same page as the list of coins for each letter, I think I will do pages like this one, where clicking on an image thumbnail pops up a window with the full-size image in it.

I needed to do more work on this page, which is why it wasn't linked anywhere yet.

I know that people hate popup windows, but I think it's different when you as the visitor are choosing to view popup elements, rather than having them foisted upon you unintentionally...

Thoughts?
  • Options

<< <i>I know that people hate popup windows, but I think it's different when you as the visitor are choosing to view popup elements, rather than having them foisted upon you unintentionally. >>

The problem with that is that those of us who have turned off flash to avoid popups would have to turn it on before going to your site, and then (hopefully) remember to turn it off again when finished.

I'm with the others on preferring the old version. image

BTW, after seeing your Japanese yen I now fully understand why PCI's reputation for accurate grading is closer to SGS than to PCGS.
    Roy

• Options
    theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't mind setting up a page like number one. I have powerful second computer that can be a server I guess. How do you make the page and set up a server?
  • Options
    coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭
    I've redone all the pages to incorporate small image thumbnails rather than just "Obv" and "Rev", and clicking on a thumbnail opens a window with the full-sized image. I've got it set such that just hitting the spacebar will close the window.

www.coinpictures.com

Now to start adding more pictures... image