Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1936 Goudey Wide Pen Premiums (R314)

What is the history of this set? It seems to be the prewar equivalent of 1964 Topps Giants.

The cards don't seem to generate much interest. It looks to be fairly condition sensitive as I haven't seen many high grade copies. On the plus side, the photography and large format makes them attractive looking cards. The photos seem nicer than contemporaries like the Play Ball cards or Exhibits.

Comments

• Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    I think the '30's premiums are some of the most undervalued issues out there. Great photography and excellent content. I've got about 80% of the R314 set, and they look really nice laid out together. Many (if not all) of the images were cropped and used for the '36 Goudey set (the one below not being one of them).

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    tkd7tkd7 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭
    As I look for a new set to start, this is one that jumped out at me as an afordable way to collect prewar cards that are attractive and affordable. I've looked at the S & S game cards as well, but the small image doesn't appeal to me.