Home U.S. Coin Forum

Ok so-called dollar guys, here's a bunch of new purchases with some rarities...

tmot99tmot99 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭
My local dealer had started to collect so-called dollars back in the mid 90s. With my new interest in them and his dieing interest, he agreed to sell. I reviewed what he had, picked the best and the rarest, and made an offer. He accepted.

To start, here is an original set of Colorado Dollars. In original holders. With the original letter from the Colorado Committee! These come from the 1933 Century of Progress Expo. The dollars were sold to fund the Colorado exhibit at the fair. Type I is the rarest with only 300 minted with unsold melted. Type II had 700 minted with unsold melted. Type III 2000 struck and unsold were melted. The type IV was not in this set.

Type I
Type II
Type III

Then, I bought Trans-Mississippi. These are the official medal of the Trans-Mississippi Exposition of 1898. Issued in 4 different metals. This is a proof silver version. It is the only proof graded at NGC for this SCD. My pictures suck. I could not capture the reflective fields without lots of glare on the slab. The scratches are on the slab. HK-281 NGC PF65

Next, comes a Wilson Dollar. This medal was minted to commomorate the opening of the Manila Mint. Dated 1920 and HK-449. Listed as rare in silver. Graded MS65 by NGC. Tied for finest known along with 5 others. Once again, my pictures suck. I could not get the luster to shine.

Then some lesser pieces.

A Whipple Dollar. Pretty good condition except for some spots on the reverse.

A Type IV Pedley Ryan.

Two Bryan Dollars
HK-785
HK-781

An HK-222 from the Columbian Expo. Anyone know anything about this envelope? I thought they came in little cardboard canisters?

Finally a HK-300 which is gold plated. This comes from the 1904 Louisiana Purchase Expo in St. Louis.

I also got an Evacuation of Boston, another Louisiana Purchase but yellow bronze, a Ferris Wheel dollar, and a couple of other little goodies.

Comments

• LeianaLeiana Posts: 4,349
    Sweet medals! image

I really like the Mississippi. image

-Amanda

I'm a YN working on a type set!

My Buffalo Nickel Website Home of the Quirky Buffaloes Collection!

Proud member of the CUFYNA
  • ANACONDAANACONDA Posts: 4,692
    Very cool. Brandon likes so-called dollars.
  • Cool stuff. image

• tmot99tmot99 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Very cool. Brandon likes so-called dollars. >>

I wish I could afford the Columbian stuff that you have and at least one of the Leshers.
  • WOWimage

Now I know what Mad Marty is talking about!

How long before some of these show up on the BST forum?image
  • DUIGUYDUIGUY Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭
    WOW & WOW again is all I can say !!
    LOVE the Colorados !!!

“A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly."

- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 106-43 BC
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    DUIGuy needs to be taken out behind the woodshed for thinking that the Colorado's might need to be conserved!!!!image

absent any other medals in your collection, this set might be a good assortment to use as a centerpiece to build around. certain SC$'s are difficult to find, anything in Gold and anything Proof heading the list alongside of original packaging. while some will inevitably suggest keeping the Colorado Dollars as they are, it might be prudent to consider putting a stop to any further tone and hairlining via slabbing while also protecting the packaging and letter in an airtight holder. while many see the sole purpose of slabbing as "added value" i consider it the best source of long term protection. to that end, i'd get the HK-22 in a holder because the obverse portrait is actually higher in relief than the rim. leaving the medal susceptible to rub no matter how carefully it's stored.

thanks for rescuing these from your dealer and sharing them with us.
  • NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,997 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great stuff tmot99.

<< <i> while some will inevitably suggest keeping the Colorado Dollars as they are, it might be prudent to consider putting a stop to any further tone and hairlining via slabbing while also protecting the packaging and letter in an airtight holder. while many see the sole purpose of slabbing as "added value" i consider it the best source of long term protection. to that end, i'd get the HK-22 in a holder because the obverse portrait is actually higher in relief than the rim. leaving the medal susceptible to rub no matter how carefully it's stored. >>

I have been debating if I would get the Colorados slabbed or not. I plan on most others mainly for protection. I am getting most SCDs that I acquire slabbed mainly for protection. So many have high relief that they will easily get banged up. The Colorados, however, seem strange to break up, yet protection is always good. I have a nitrogen-purged box for keeping documents dry and flat.
  • tmot99:

SUPER ITEMS....
    I've only ever seen these Colorado pieces in original holders at one other time....
    A local Colorado dealer I know still has half a set at this time in the original holder/envelope...
    He just sold the other half at the Denver ANA... This dealer has had them for a couple years,
    but had them beyond what I was willing to pay.

Nice pickup.... I especially liked the Trans-Mississippi in Proof... WOW!!
    and that Wilson was Very Nice as well....
    Those are some awesome finds....... The Colorado pieces are excellent...
    What a great find!!! Good going...

Here is my one of my recent finds at the 2006 ANA........(I can never seem to get the pictures to post so I have included the link instead)
    I also picked up a couple of Leshers at the Denver ANA....
    ">
    http://home.comcast.net/~cadmanco/pikespeak_f2.jpg

I had never seen a gold plated Pikes Peak piece until this set....
    These appear to be gold plated on silver, and labeled as such. Two included in the set, with a ribbon attached on one....
    (4) proof pieces included in the set. Each are mounted separately in a holder, then those are all
    grouped together and holdered as a complete set. The set is about 9" x 15". This set came from the
    estate and private collection of Mr Al Overton of Half Dollar Variety Fame... I believe he lived in the
    Colorado Springs or Pueblo area of Colorado and died around 1983. I have a bunch of research to do on this one yet!

The gold plated is listed in the HK book, but their information is vague at best. Any one have more info on these???

Lots of Colorado pieces showing up here....COOL!!!!
    John
    Evergreen, Colorado

cadmanco
  • I like the very fist pic... very nice with original holders etc.... image
    Here is your picture posted:

Very cool. I think I saw those at ANA. If not, something very much like it. I saw the set of Colorados that you refer to. I also know who bought half of the set. I looked at them, but knew where I could get the whole set for about the same or less money.

Thanks for all of the comments guys.
  • 291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,284 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Medals are the future of numismatics. Nice ones are few and far between. Do you really need a high relief St. Gaudens?
    All glory is fleeting.
  • jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sweet!
    ttt for the weekday crowd.
  • shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭
    Holy frijoles!

I especially like the Trans-Mississippi, Wilsons, and Louisiana Purchase medals, but the original packaging makes the Colorado set uber-cool.

I have to stop looking at the scans lest I start collecting SCD's again. image
    Obscurum per obscurius

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file