Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

OT: Visiting NY/Manhattan area....

My wife and I are going to New York on the weekend of October 6th. We will be staying in Mahwah, NJ and commuting into NY by subway. This is my first trip to NY so it will be all new to me.

I was hoping someone on here could help me with the area. On the 7th I am going to the Staten Island Mall to BC Collectibles to a Bill Buckner/Mookie Wilson signing. Is the subway to the mall a viable option? Are there any other sport related attractions in the area? I was looking at Giants tickets but they are way too expensive.

Any suggestions of what is in the area that would be fun to visit would be appreciated. And I guess I should mention we will have my mother in law and our 12 year old daughter with us. So needless to say we will be visiting Toys R Us and the Pokemon store as well as Tiffanys. (Don't worry, I will be leaving my credit cards in the room for that store trip! image )

Any suggestions would be appreciated. And if anyone is going to be at the signing and wants to meet up that would be great! image

Oh, and one last question for everyone...do I get a ball, bat or picture signed?? image
Looking for Carl Willey items.

Comments

• Options
    There is no subway that goes to the mall. Only buses go to the mall. SI has 1 train line and it's not near the mall. I would definitely drive to the mall.

Or, you could take the SI Ferry from Lower Manhattan and than a bus to the mall. The ferry is a 20 min. ride. I'm not sure of the bus routes to the mall, but I could find out if you want. LMK.

AJ
  • Options
    A761506A761506 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭
    If you're traveling to NY by plane, it'll be a heck of a lot easier to transport signed baseballs than bats.

In NYC, sounds like you'll be in Times Square (that's where the Toys r us store is).... there's a lot to see in that area. The Tiffany store is right next to Trump Tower... it's a few blocks from the main area of Times Square, but easily walkable. If you want to go to the top of the Empire State Building, plan at least 2 - 2.5 hours for that, as there will be at least an hour wait to get tickets.

If you want to stay away from the pricy tourist restaurants all around Times Square, walk over to 9th between 46th & 52nd and you'll find great food and reasonable prices.

• Options
    tkd7tkd7 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭
    In place of the Empire State Building, I suggest going to the Top of the Rock. It is the observation deck the 70th floor of 30 Rockefeller Center. You can buy timed tickets in advance so you don't need to worry about waiting. Once you go up, you can stay as long as you like. My suggestion would be to find out the time of sunset and get tickets for about an hour before. You will have enough time to see the city, the sunset, and the lights as it gets dark. Here is a photo I took from the observation deck last December.

Top of the Rock

Another thing you can try to arrange is a tour of Madison Square Garden.

MSG

I checked the Yankee website, it looks like there won't be tours of Yankee Stadium at the time you are there, I guess they are planning on playing in October. image
  • Options
    My son now goes to NYU, we plan on visiting the city often now. It's a great place and the Boston/NY rivalry makes for a lot of good natured, but vocal razzing. A couple of years ago we spent a weekend in NYC. I wanted to visit the old Polo Grounds site and Ebbets Field, both low-income housing now I believe, but sadly didn't have time.

Try to get on Letterman (Ed Sull. theatre)... Do the NBC Studio tour, you may run into a SNL actor, we did (Rockefeller ctr). Stop by Strawberry Fields and the Dakota (John Lennon). Eat at Carmine's, yummy Italian, near Times Sq.

You'll have a blast.

Steve F
  • Options
    Tedw9Tedw9 Posts: 1,424 ✭✭
    Thank you for all the replies! image

I plan on driving to the hotel in NJ then taking the subway or buses to where we want to go.

tkd7, that is a breathtaking picture! That is one spot I would like to go. We are only going to be there for less than 3 days so we are going to squeeze as much in as possible.

blade35, if you can find bus routes for me I would greatly appreciate it. That day I will be on my own going to SI. After the signing I am not sure what I will do. With that in mind, what A761506 said makes sense. I think I will stick with either a WS baseball or a photo.

fdnyladder7, I know my wife wants to go to Strawberry Fields so that will be one of our stops. And being a lover of Italian food I will have to check out Carmine's. Your right, this is gonna be a blast. image
    Looking for Carl Willey items.