Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Coin World coin holders -- anyone tried them?

I saw an ad in Coin World for their slab-like premier holders. Has anyone tried them? It's time for me to upgrade beyond my cardboard 2x2s, at least for my better material. One thing I really like about these Coin World holders is the ability to affix a label to them.

Does anyone know if they are the same size as a typical PCGS slab? I'm wondering if these Coin World holders would fit into a typical PCGS slab box, or any old slab box, or if I would have to specifically buy Coin World slab boxes. I don't own any PCGS slabs or I'd measure one myself. The ad in Coin World shows the measurements of their slab-style holder as 2 7/8" tall and 2" wide.

Comments

• Options
    JZraritiesJZrarities Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭
    They're too big to fit in an NGC box. They often don't come in a perfect size for your World coin. I 'trimmed' a few to make them fit, but it wasn't perfect...
  • Options
    The plastic cases, especially the smaller ANACS size were ok for storage.... however I never cared for their balck inserts.... they were hard, and difficult to place the coins into.... Quite often, if I had the white inserts from a cracked open ANACS slab, I used that for the coin, as the material was softer and easier to use......
  • Options
    WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭
    The thing I don't like about holders like airtites, is that there is no place to put a label without covering up part of the coin. Intercept Shield holders seem interesting, but also expensive.
  • Options
    dorancoinsdorancoins Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭
    Got a sample slab yesterday - go to the Litesiders forum.
    DORAN COINS - On Facebook, Instagram, X (formerly Twitter), & www.dorancoins.net - UPCOMING SHOWS (tentative dates)- 10/8/2023 - Fairfield, IL, 11/5/2023 - Urbana, IL., 12/3/2023 - Mattoon, IL.
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    The dimensions are almost identical to PCGS slabs:

"It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    Cool, thanks for the side-by-side photo
  • Options
    RickeRicke Posts: 677
    I've always been a fan of airtites, myself. I purchased a few of these coin world slabs, and they look nice, but in my opinion nothing beats an airtite... I agree with the earlier comments about the inserts being difficult to work with.
  • Options
    How about those inserts/cards you can get for Airtites, can you write on them or attach a label?
  • Options
    RickeRicke Posts: 677
    I don't know - I saw a product enhancement for airtites that allows for identification tags, but I've never used them. I keep my airtites in subcollections with a catalog of 'what's in the box'.

As far as I know the mounts for airtites are only available for US types.