Home Buy, Sell & Trade - Cards & Memorabilia
Options

looking for feedback for non-conventional trades...

I'd imagine everyone's had this idea, but I was curious if anybody had ever pursued it. Like most, my card collection is beginning to take up a considerable amount of space. The real drawback though, is most of the stuff ends up buried/hidden in storage and therefore serves very little entertainment value, and you end up forgetting about the majority of stuff you even own. At the same time, most people's interests seem to evolve, and the stuff you loved 10 years ago is no longer interesting......and maybe it's some really strange OCD compulsion I possess, but the thought of selling the stuff just seems like sacrilege.

So here's my question, anyone ever looked into trading several cards for a single more valuable card? I'm not talking about 500 ryan leaf autos for a unitas RC. but, has anyone ever tested the field for a psa graded HOFers/high grade vintage/etc. lot, for a single high value card?

It seems like it would be a viable alternative to continued storage or an ebay fire sale. But conversely, it would also be logical that the only people that would be interested were dealers, who would ultimately look to go "mr. mint on you".....and would effectively bring you right back to option a) and have to just fire sale the stuff on ebay, and then just later buy a single card on ebay with the proceeds. But again, that's such a freaking hassle......and the cycle repeats itself.

Any other thoughts?
Duner a.k.a. THE LSUConnMan
lsuconnman@yahoo.com

Comments

• Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    anytime you can trade quantity for quality and it not be totally lopsided you'll be a winner every time.
    Quality will always be in demand, and will always be easier to liquidate.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    I once traded a whole lot (1500 or so) Twins cards for 2 Stan Musial cards. The Musials will grade out around 7 each and the Twins cards were mostly modern stuff. At the time, the trade was around $300 in listed cards + commons for $225 in listed value for 2 cards. I was and am still happy with the trade.
  • Options
    nice trade caocch