Home Sports Talk

What's up with the red sox?

AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
First, there are reports that manny had to be convinced to play against the yankees because he was so upset about an official scorer scoring his hit as an error by Jeter. Ortiz went on a couple minute rant in an interview the other day about it. Was it that big a deal that they are talking about it days later?

Then, after last night's game, Ortiz says of the pitcher who held them to 3 hits and no runs over 5 innings 'It's not like he has anything special.' Uhm?

Boston fans, are things really this bad with the sox? And if they don't make the postseason, is this team blown up and rebuilt next year?

Comments

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,356 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Red Sox are all DONE for this season. I place some of the blame on Epstein, the pitching situation never was addressed and countering the Yanks and their signing of Abreu with Hinske was just ridiculas. For the team to just allow a 5 game sweep at home by the Yankees just put the clamps on this season. The team really doesnt need to go into panic mode this winter though, the "Core of the team" will remain intact and we will make another run next year, hopefully with a new starter to add to the rotation.
  • murcerfanmurcerfan Posts: 2,329 ✭✭
    Manny's hammys image

imageimageimageimageimage

second biggest joke in beseball.....Er-rod still wins a big golden ribbon there
  • BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,454 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>the "Core of the team" will remain intact >>

Let's get some agreement on the core: Varitek, Youkilis, Ortiz, Ramirez, Papelbon, Schilling. I wouldn't put Lester, Crisp, Wily Mo, or others into that "core" group just yet. Those are the six I see guaranteed coming back. I think "unraveled" is the proper term for the state of the Red Sox.
    hmmmm.....so long as Mike Lowell isn't held dearly by you jokers...how's about a straight-up swap for clutch-rod ?

edited to add:

heck...i'll even pay for the bus ride over there..and that wiked heart pounding Maine lob-stah surprise at Flopi's place
  • AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    murcer is sure being mouth tonight, must be the liquid courage talking.

murcer, you sure obssess about Arod, don't you?
  • ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭

<< <i>

Let's get some agreement on the core: Varitek, Youkilis, Ortiz, Ramirez, Papelbon, Schilling. I wouldn't put Lester, Crisp, Wily Mo, or others into that "core" group just yet. Those are the six I see guaranteed coming back. I think "unraveled" is the proper term for the state of the Red Sox. >>

I agree, sort of - but the team is hardly dead yet. Also, don't be surprised if the Pena for Arroyo trade looks like another David Ortiz type heist in the next few years.

The Manny story has no validity to it, either. It came from an article in the Providence Journal after the Yankee series was over. The writer had no proof that Manny did or said any of that - besides, if anyone should have the finger pointed at him for that series disaster, it's not him. In the series, Manny went 8-for-11 (.727), with 4 singles, 2 doubles, 2 home runs, 7 RBI, and 9 walks. He reached base in 19 of his 20 plate appearances (2 of those were on errors). His OPS was 2.305! He also made a few nice plays in the outfield, and Manny raised his batting average 10 points in the series --to .330. In August, Ramirez is hitting: .412/.529/.691.

Lester is part of the core of young pitchers who probably came up a year too soon. Give him (and Hansen) some time before you bury them.

But, I am surprised to see them look so anemic on offense, especially now when they could be gaining all the ground back they lost last weekend.

<< <i>
    The Manny story has no validity to it, either. It came from an article in the Providence Journal after the Yankee series was over. The writer had no proof that Manny did or said any of that - besides, if anyone should have the finger pointed at him for that series disaster, it's not him. In the series, Manny went 8-for-11 (.727), with 4 singles, 2 doubles, 2 home runs, 7 RBI, and 9 walks. He reached base in 19 of his 20 plate appearances (2 of those were on errors). His OPS was 2.305! He also made a few nice plays in the outfield, and Manny raised his batting average 10 points in the series --to .330. In August, Ramirez is hitting: .412/.529/.691. >>

I heard Ortiz talk about the scoring decision in an interview days after it happened - why would he even be talking about it if it wasn't a big deal? And since when does a pitcher blow through your lineup, allowing only 3 hits, and you say he had 'nothing special'? Most notably the seattle pitcher's last out of his performance was Ortiz grounding out weakly to 1st. Seemed quite classless.
    I didn't hear Ortiz make those comments, but I agree, not a great thing to say. Ortiz is usually diplomatic to an extreme, so that seems really out of character for him. I watched the game, maybe he was referring to how the pitcher needed almost 100 pitches to get through the 5 innings, and he was frequently behind in the count. No excuses though, he pitched well and got out of trouble when he had to.

I also think Ortiz was asked about the article which mentioned the alleged Manny incident from the weekend, and he commented on it. It was semi-big news for a few days, but again, it hardly seems believeable (and without proof) and Manny certainly didn't lose that series for the Sox.
  • <<How many of these threads are you going to start? This couldn't go in the yankees thread?>>

What a hypocrite you truly are. Couldn't you put this post in the Red Sox thread instead of starting a new topic? You accuse me of starting countless threads yet you can gum up this board whenever you like.

<< <i><<How many of these threads are you going to start? This couldn't go in the yankees thread?>>

What a hypocrite you truly are. Couldn't you put this post in the Red Sox thread instead of starting a new topic? You accuse me of starting countless threads yet you can gum up this board whenever you like. >>

No, this couldn't go in the red sox thread. It related directly to an outsiders (i.e. non-red sox fan) questioning of what's going on.

Fudin, go crawl back in your hole you mindless twit.
  • <<No, this couldn't go in the red sox thread. It related directly to an outsiders (i.e. non-red sox fan) questioning of what's going on.>>

Hilarious stuff.

<< <i><<No, this couldn't go in the red sox thread. It related directly to an outsiders (i.e. non-red sox fan) questioning of what's going on.>>

Hilarious stuff. >>

spammy, you and murcer sure are mouthy tonight. Did you both miss your medications?
  • <<Then, after last night's game, Ortiz says of the pitcher who held them to 3 hits and no runs over 5 innings 'It's not like he has anything special.' Uhm?>>

Uhm? I am glad that you disagree with Ortiz and thought that the Yankee pitcher was special.

<< <i><<Then, after last night's game, Ortiz says of the pitcher who held them to 3 hits and no runs over 5 innings 'It's not like he has anything special.' Uhm?>>

Uhm? I am glad that you disagree with Ortiz and thought that the Yankee pitcher was special. >>

Hey dope, when a pitcher owns you, you don't disrespect him by saying 'he had nothing special'. You tip your cap to the guy who was better.

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,356 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Let's get some agreement on the core: Varitek, Youkilis, Ortiz, Ramirez, Papelbon, Schilling. I wouldn't put Lester, Crisp, Wily Mo, or others into that "core" group just yet. Those are the six I see guaranteed coming back. I think "unraveled" is the proper term for the state of the Red Sox. >>

Agreed. I could care less about Crisp, he has been nothing short of a dissapointment. Willie Mo, the jury is still out on him IMO. We all would like a bit more consistentey from Beckett as well.
    When will the Red Sox team's demonstrated incompetence start to affect the box office at Fenway? I know all seats for 2006 are sold out, but does their sellout streak stop in 07? I wouldn't be too keen on spending $400-$500 (family of four with parking, tickets, etc.) to see a game with this team right now.
    the lack of a winning franchise has done nothing to ever stop ticket sales at wrigley - I'd think the same thing would apply in boston.
  • When will the Red Sox team's demonstrated incompetence start to affect the box office at Fenway?

When the build a bigger park that seats 3X more people....other than that..corporations but out most of the seats and boxes.
    It makes it hard for a family man to even get tickets...without mortgaging the farm for them. I agree..my wife and I..3 kids...$600 easy if we go to a game..

I've taken it to the road!! We sat in Oakland..right above the bullpen..8 rows back from the field...$30 a ticket...and there were loads of seats left over.
    It's pretty sad, when I can drive to Baltimore or DC take in a Sox game there...and it's STILL cheaper than taking the 5 of us to Boston (45 minutes away)...

Go figure...
  • RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭

<< <i>murcer is sure being mouth tonight, must be the liquid courage talking.

murcer, you sure obssess about Arod, don't you? >>

He likes the purple lips
    The Mariners sure kicked our butts this weekend, and the Sox look like a team "unraveled" (as I believe Barndog put it - perfectly). I never give up, but with all the injuries (now Lester is hurt) we might be at the breaking point.
  • ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The Mariners sure kicked our butts this weekend, and the Sox look like a team "unraveled" (as I believe Barndog put it - perfectly). I never give up, but with all the injuries (now Lester is hurt) we might be at the breaking point. >>

Man, it just keeps getting worse. The "Boston Massacre" sure put a damper on my vacation. image

Unless a few of these guys come back from injury soon, at this pace .500 is in jeapordy!!

On the bright side, the Pats look solid in pre-season, sans Branch!! image
    I am happy to report that the last game I watched was the third game against KC...when was that...about three weeks ago?

<< <i>I am happy to report that the last game I watched was the third game against KC...when was that...about three weeks ago? >>

I guess I qualify as one of those diehard nut-case fans then, I actually am watching all these West Coast games until well after 1am our time, and I'm both tired in the morning from lack of sleep, and sick from watching them play like crapola.
  • Wow, I was just looking at the standings and it's so hard to believe there are only a little over 30 games left in the season. Where does time go? The Red Sox have 32 games left and the dreaded Yankees 33 games. Fun with numbers: if the Yankees go 16-17 that means that the Red Sox will have to go 22-10 just to tie. Doable, yes but it seems like a tough road. The Padres are right in the thick of things in the NL West and Wild Card race.

<< <i>I guess I qualify as one of those diehard nut-case fans then, I actually am watching all these West Coast games until well after 1am our time, and I'm both tired in the morning from lack of sleep, and sick from watching them play like crapola. >>

I couldn't take it any more. It's not like the team had the same expectations as the Devil Rays, which would have made watching sub-.500 ball quite bearable.
    nine to none.....................surely the natiion can spin up a wicked cool excuse.

....no???????????????

<< <i>nine to none.....................surely the natiion can spin up a wicked cool excuse. >>

You bet. Just like most of the Sox teams of the 80s and early 90s and nearly all of the Yankee teams during Mattingly's career, and just like the Os & Jays of recent history, and the Rays since inception, this team is not playoff-quality, despite some streaky good play every now and then.

<< <i>nine to none.....................surely the natiion can spin up a wicked cool excuse.

....no??????????????? >>

Are your ready for some FOOTBALL???? image
    Where was murcerfan hiding while the yanks were stinking up the joint, losing 2 of 3 to a mariners team that had just lost 11 in a row?

Oh that's right, he was under his bed with his thumb in his mouth.

Murcer, do us all a favor and go play hopscotch on the freeway.
    I read that the Sox are shopping David Wells. If true, the ownership has hung it up for the season...which would be the right thing to do. I would be surprised if they use Varitek to any great degree once he returns.
  • softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Sox have the worst record in all of baseball during the month of August. Injuries, poor pitching, and poor general managing have led to a this collapse. When you lose 10 1/2 games in the standings to the team that was chasing you it is a collapse.

That is "what is up with the Red Sox"

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

so who will be shopped around this offseason? Coco Crisp? Wily Mo? Beckett? Lester? Ramirez? Others? Pretty sure it won't be (at least I hope it won't be) Papelbon, Schilling, Youkilis, or Ortiz.
  • Coco won't have many takers. Yes, he made one of the most spectacular catches I've seen this season but he's no Jim Edmonds. For Sox fans I HOPE you guys keep Wily Mo. He's going to be a monster; and you can quote me on that! The guys what, 24 years old? Keep him around guys like Manny and Ortiz and honest to goodness the Sox could have one of the most fearsome threesomes of all time. I see him as a 30-40 homer guy with a nice .280-.300 BA. Maybe that's just me.

Manny won't have many takes, age and contract will certainly mean that he won't be moved.
    Beckett's value has dropped SO much since the All-Star break, to trade him would most certainly mean next to nothing in return. I'd like to see him come to the Yankees though.
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils
    1950s-1960s Topps NY Giants Team cards

Looking for Topps rookies as well.

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff

<< <i>
    Beckett's value has dropped SO much since the All-Star break, to trade him would most certainly mean next to nothing in return. I'd like to see him come to the Yankees though. >>

He'd fit right in.

On a related note, Pavano has broken ribs from a car accident a couple weeks ago of which he failed to notify anyone from the team - oops!

<< <i>The Sox have the worst record in all of baseball during the month of August. Injuries, poor pitching, and poor general managing have led to a this collapse. When you lose 10 1/2 games in the standings to the team that was chasing you it is a collapse.

That is "what is up with the Red Sox" >>

Thank you, Captain Obvious.

<< <i>Thank you, Captain Obvious. >>

no problemo image

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

I just read Lester is in the hospital now with enlarged lympth nodes. What the hell is going on? I wish him nothing but the best and a speedy return. Pulled hammy's, sore arms, etc are one thing ..... this stuff with Papi and Lester sucks.

• << <i>

<< <i>
    Beckett's value has dropped SO much since the All-Star break, to trade him would most certainly mean next to nothing in return. I'd like to see him come to the Yankees though. >>

He'd fit right in.

On a related note, Pavano has broken ribs from a car accident a couple weeks ago of which he failed to notify anyone from the team - oops! >>

Pavano doesn't even matter, he hasn't pitched 1 inning in the bigs this year and the Yankees are in first place without him.
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff
    Doesn't it concern you a guy your team is paying millions to was in a car accident, broke ribs, and told no one?

<< <i>Doesn't it concern you a guy your team is paying millions to was in a car accident, broke ribs, and told no one? >>

I know you were not asking ME this but it sure does concern me as a fan, and the Yankees are fed up with this clown. They will do anything IF POSSIBLE to void his contract this winter.

<< <i>

<< <i>Doesn't it concern you a guy your team is paying millions to was in a car accident, broke ribs, and told no one? >>

I know you were not asking ME this but it sure does concern me as a fan, and the Yankees are fed up with this clown. They will do anything IF POSSIBLE to void his contract this winter. >>

If they couldn't get Giambi's contract voided for taking (and admitting in court) steroids, I don't think they'll be able to do anything about Pavano.
  • kcballboykcballboy Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭
    Now Lester is in the hospital for enlarged lymph nodes.

Could the curse of the Bambino be back?
    Travis
    Please - calm down with the curse stuff. That's old news around here.

I hope Lester is healthy. Those reports don't sound too good.

• << <i>Please - calm down with the curse stuff. That's old news around here.

I hope Lester is healthy. Those reports don't sound too good. >>

Of course it is, this "curse stuff" has been mentioned for the better part of a century. Tough luck.

I do hope that Lester had not gotten cancer, and I hope he recovers fully from whatever ailment he is suffering from.
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff
    Sox finally caught a break! image Alex Rios bobbled an Alex Cora fly ball into the stands for a home run!! Brings back fond memories of the fly ball that bopped Canseco on the noggin for a HR!

Well, I think you can somewhat understand why he did not tell them -- after all the frustration so far the Yankees would not have been any less pissed at Pavano if he told them right away.

Perhaps, at the time, he thought (delusionally) that the rib injury was not that bad and would not be detected. That being said, it certainly was irresponsible for him to hyroplane a Porsche in wet weather, especially while on the DL in midseason. He does not have a long rope with the Yanks like Big Ben has with the Steelers.

Anyway, I'm glad Pavano is at least enjoying his money buying cool cars.

Looking forward to next year, how about a Matt Clement -- Carl Pavano trade? image
  • go yanks

<< <i>go yanks >>

Thanks for the input.

<< <i>go yanks >>

Great commentary, very insightful.

<< <i>go yanks >>

Hey 80s junkie -- the Yanks SUCKED in the 80s!! image