Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Help with GB penny on wrong planchet

Here's hoping that someone can help me out....

I have a 1967 penny struck on a 6.3 gram planchet... smaller than a penny planchet and larger than a half penny planchet
It appears to be 28-29 mm in diameter.... also slightly thinner (maybe 3/4 normal ??)

See attached scans.... one each of obverse & reverse... the 3rd is of a normal penny on the bottom, this coin in the middle, and a normal half penny on top....

I would assume that this coin was struck on a planchet intended for a foreign coin that was being struck at the Royal Mint.... Does anyone have any ideas as to what this planchet was originally intended for????

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    neat item... no idea as to the coin but likely one from the Commonwealth which, I know, is little help

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    SmittysSmittys Posts: 9,876 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No sure what the weight for half penny planchet is?
    But if it was struck on a half cent planchet I would expect it to be bigger in diamater.
    That's what it looks like to me .
    Nice find
  • Options
    according to the book... the hal fpenny should weigh 5.67 grams... less than this coin 6.3 grams.....

good point about it spreading though, although I don't really see any signs of distortion from striking on the coin....
  • Options
    I just emailed the Royal Mint, hoping that they might be able to provide some information....