Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Question about a coin from Uruguay NGC graded PF66

StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
I was wondering, if it's not listed in Krause, is there another source I could find out more about this? In other words, how did NGC know it's an unlisted (at least I can't find it) proof as opposed to just a really nice uncirculated KM#28?

The pictures really suck and are full of glare from my quickie snaps in the backyard... the fields are quite reflective, but it's not cameo.

One of my favorite designs....

Comments

• Options
    BlackhawkBlackhawk Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭
    That's a cool design! You could get a 1947 rupee from India as a compliment to it when you begin your big cat set. image
    "Have a nice day!"
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My gut feeling is it isn't a proof and NGC messed up.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    oldshepoldshep Posts: 3,240
    can't answer your question....but,What a Beauty!!!!!!!
    Shep
  • Options
    FilamCoinsFilamCoins Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭

This is my one and only coin from Uruguay. NGC calls it a MS63. Different date and denomination, but thought it might help (although pic isn't great either). I think Ajaan might be right. Are the fields mirror and the devices frosted on yours?

imageimage
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    I agree with the magic mushroom; it should be MS66 or perhaps MS66PL (I would give them a call).
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    Thanks for the input!

I know the pictures completely don't show it, but the fields are somewhat prooflike, more noticeably on the reverse. There isn't anything I would call 'frosted' though, just a more normal appearance. Actually, I'm having a hard time finding the what knocked it down to a 66. There is some change in the color of the metal on othe obverse (a couple of small areas of anti-toning) but less hits that I would expect for a 66. Just the one speck on the puma/cougar/cat's hip.

I suspect you guys are right about it just being MS or PL. I was hoping someone here was secretly the worlds greatest expert on pre-WWII Uruguay proof issues (and a consultant to NGC) who would post that clearly I had the most rare and sought after South American coin in existance.

It's a great looking coin, but I suspect I paid a wee bit too much for it (so what else is new image, I REALLY wanted it). I'm glad I bought it, and I would buy it again, especially from the same seller. The coin was sold noting it wasn't listed or recorded, no attempt at deception or anything like that. My next step I suppose is to email them.

Now, if I could just find one of those pesos in as good a shape to go with it...and maybe one of the 'for sure' essais out there (okay I've spotted one of them and I'm hoping it will be mine soon imageimageimage)

Cathy

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    great design and quite attractive. Based on the image, I am not able to help with the question about whether it is a PR.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    I have one that I wish was that nice as part of my big cat collection. Great designimage

• Options

<< <i>I was hoping someone here was secretly the worlds greatest expert on pre-WWII Uruguay proof issues (and a consultant to NGC) who would post that clearly I had the most rare and sought after South American coin in existance. >>

Okay, I just cannot keep silent any longer.

Cathy, I am secretly the worlds greatest expert on pre-WWII Uruguay proof issues (and a consultant to NGC). It's very clear that you have the most rare and sought after South American coin in existence.image

Seriously, the coin looks like an unusually nice circulation strike rather than a proof to me, and is way above average for its type.

I don't know why NGC says it is a proof and think that might be a mistake.

It's hard to tell from the pictures, but does the coin have squared off rims? If not, then it is almost certainly a circulation strike rather than a true proof.

Whatever it is, it is a choice example of an attractive design and a coin to own with pride.image
    "Think of the Press as a great keyboard on which the Government can play" – Joseph Goebbels

"The Central Intelligence Agency owns everyone of any significance in the major media" - William Colby, former CIA director
  • Options
    This coin is from my collection. image
    "Think of the Press as a great keyboard on which the Government can play" – Joseph Goebbels

"The Central Intelligence Agency owns everyone of any significance in the major media" - William Colby, former CIA director
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    In other words, how did NGC know it's an unlisted (at least I can't find it) proof as opposed to just a really nice uncirculated KM#28?

Because the submitter probably suggested that it was and had some sort of proof for it . And I can tell you from personal experience that NGC does not welcome all such suggestions, so it might well be one of many unlisted proof coins. Or not, but as long as you like it... image
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    Okay, I tried for some detail shots...I still can't seem to capture the fields too well. I'm having a less than sunny day here, and I keep getting glare on the slab when I'm indoors and out.

<< <i>but does the coin have squared off rims? >>

Does the picture help? I'm not sure what the alternative would look like image.

<< <i>Because the submitter probably suggested that it was and had some sort of proof for it . >>

If I write on a submission that a coin is a proof, then NGC might just go along with that? Or, if I didn't recognize a proof, would they?

Anyway, I wonder if the submitter did have such evidence? If so, where do I find it ???? It's not like Krause ever messes up or has omissions right? To heck with email, maybe I'll give both the submitter and NGC a call tomorrow image. I am getting quite curious!

Cathy

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>but does the coin have squared off rims? >>

Does the picture help? I'm not sure what the alternative would look like image. >>

The rims look sharp & square to me, but the fields look prooflike rather than proof, IMO, particularly for a coin apparently struck by a major European mint (Paris?).

But then NGC has seen the coin in real life and I haven't, so maybe they're right and it really is a proof.

Proof or not, it's a great coin!

• Options
    Hmmm...the plot thickens. Goldberg's auction, lots 4644, 4645 and 4646, are NGC graded 'unlisted proofs', for 1936.

• Options
    Talk about resurrecting a zombie thread...does anyone know how to pull up Goldberg's archives to see what the heck I'd linked to?

Cathy

• Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Talk about resurrecting a zombie thread...does anyone know how to pull up Goldberg's archives to see what the heck I'd linked to?

Cathy >>

Sale #37 - Lot 4644
  • Options
    I guess it was the other minors. I can't find my Goldberg sign in so many thanks for the linky dinky!

(BTW, completely OT here, but here is a cool ebay thing Trent Reznor of NIN fame is auctioning off some guitars for greyhound rescue. I thought of you and Cosmicdebris--if he ever lurks as I recall he went from collecting coins to guitars. Maybe we'll see his Yemen Lion icon pop up but I doubt it...)

Cathy

edited to add: I don't know what I did to not be able to find the Goldberg stuff...I just tried again, no problems at all.