Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Fraudulent PSA 9 '68 Aaron Auction

No way this auction is legit:

Aaron

First of all, the card number is wrong. Secondly, the flip looks totally fake - especially the smaller font of the cert number. With a little more work though, this thing could pass as legit, which scares me.

*Update* All of this a-hole's PSA auctions are bogus. None of the cert numbers match up. He's been reported to eBay. Man I despise dirtbags like this.
"My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."

Comments

• Options
    A761506A761506 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭
    I recognize that card... it's a Milton Bradley - the original submitter got a ton of high grades on a set of '68 Milton Bradley cards and sold them all on eBay about a year ago.

As far as the auction, I don't know what to say. The guy either has the cards or stole all of his scans from the same original place, as they are made uniformly (on the 69 Rose & 65 Carlton also). His BIN prices are in-line with SMR, but all the other crap he's selling along with the cards, and the private bidders make these extremely suspect auctions. The cert numbers on the Aaron flip do look altered.
  • Options
    jimq112jimq112 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭
    I'm high bidder on 2 of them, I'll be waiting to see what ebay has to say in a couple minutes -
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,355 ✭✭✭✭✭
    imageimage

So, this is a fake flip - is this a photoshop original? Or has the guy obtained some holders? And made up fake flips - the holder doesn't look tampered with?

?

mike

Mike
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,569 ✭✭✭✭
    jimq112,

I actually bid on the Carlton 9 last night, not knowing it was a fraud - and I'm no novice either. Just a lowball bid, but still. Pretty scary. I e-mailed the seller asking him if he printed the flips on his home computer, and mentioned that he could have at least got the card number on the Aaron right image. His response (from e-mail address nikkisin73@aol.com):

<< <i>It was misnumbered by PSA. I did not catch the mistake but a couple of people have pointed it out to me so I am pulling the card off auction and sending to be corrected. And of course, I did not make the label and resent the accusation. Have a nice day. >>

"My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options

<< <i>So, this is a fake flip - is this a photoshop original? Or has the guy obtained some holders? And made up fake flips - the holder doesn't look tampered with? >>

All good questions Mike. PSA really needs to be notified about this.
  • Options
    imageimage

Better job on the cert # font but still not there.

This one doesn't match either:

certification number 06014569 is defined as the following:

ITEM INFORMATION
    Year: 1955
    Brand: BOWMAN
    Player: JOHN H. JOHNSON
    Variety: N/A
    Grade: 8

I emailed the guy - asking about the certs but didn't make any accusations.

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    book 'em, Dano image
  • Options

Oh Loosie...

You have some splainin to dooo...

Mike
  • Options

<< <i>

So, this is a fake flip - is this a photoshop original? Or has the guy obtained some holders? And made up fake flips - the holder doesn't look tampered with?

?

mike >>

There are so many good photo editing programs out there, and so many sellers use good clear scans to cover themselves against window shoppers that it's easy to make fake cards.

It took less than 2 minutes to make this card, and I'm a rookie at photo editing. The font is right, the number is wrong and the name is wrong. It's a PSA holder. And it doesn't have the ebay watermark on it so it doesn't look as much like a copy.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

?

mike >>

There are so many good photo editing programs out there, and so many sellers use good clear scans to cover themselves against window shoppers that it's easy to make fake cards.

It took less than 2 minutes to make this card, and I'm a rookie at photo editing. The font is right, the number is wrong and the name is wrong. It's a PSA holder. And it doesn't have the ebay watermark on it so it doesn't look as much like a copy. >>

Jim

My question was somewhat rhetorical. I know we can do a great job and photoshop - that was my point, does the guy own this card or does the buyer get nothing?

You have made a scan - the guys says he has the card?

Here's an email I got from him:

Thanks for the information. I will try to follow up on this with PSA. How can the cards be slabbed and have the PSA logo and hologram and everything. This makes no sense to me at all.

So, he's either lying or has a nice counterfeit?

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I recognize that card... it's a Milton Bradley - the original submitter got a ton of high grades on a set of '68 Milton Bradley cards and sold them all on eBay about a year ago. >>

huh? so you're saying you RECOGNIZE the card? you know who submitted it? why is the cert #'s wrong?

<< <i>The cert numbers on the Aaron flip do look altered. >>

see above.
    ·p_A·
  • Options

<< <i>How can the cards be slabbed and have the PSA logo and hologram and everything. This makes no sense to me at all. >>

These look like they would be recent grades (if they were real - which they're not), which don't come in holders with the hologram.
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>How can the cards be slabbed and have the PSA logo and hologram and everything. This makes no sense to me at all. >>

These look like they would be recent grades (if they were real - which they're not), which don't come in holders with the hologram. >>

yeah, but A768675309 said he knows the submitter of these fraudulently #'d cards..
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭
    seller ended auction
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    A761506A761506 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭
    I do not remember the submitter/seller ID, but a high-grade set of 1968 Milton Bradley cards were all submitted by the same person and sold individually about a year ago. The Aaron is recognizable to me simply because of the fact that it's a Milton Bradley card (with the brighter yellow back), however, there may be more than 1 PSA 9 of the Milton Bradley variety.
  • Options

<< <i>seller ended auction >>

Makes sense.

I don't think he has the cards as he says - they're probably photoshop cards and the buyer would have probably gotten nothing or a "confirmed" mailer with a common or something.

Ebay as an entitiy is begging to be policed by the FBI and people who defraud need to go to jail and not collect 200!

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Carew29Carew29 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭

The cert number for the Aaron goes to a 2000 Topps Finest Peterson card
  • Options
    This makes me want to break out my video recorder everytime I get something in the mail from eBay!
  • Options
    I'm still high bidder on carlton and rose, and no response yet from trust and safety. I gave them the correct cards for the psa certs and the URL to look them up, and the 800 number to call psa.

They have an easy case and they're not interested at all.
  • Options

<< <i>I'm still high bidder on carlton and rose, and no response yet from trust and safety. I gave them the correct cards for the psa certs and the URL to look them up, and the 800 number to call psa.

They have an easy case and they're not interested at all. >>

Have you contacted the seller Jim?

I just did.

That's all I did was paste the real data and tell him I think the card is counterfeit - I didn't want to accuse of him of just making up a scan - that would be insulting and counterproductive - the mear fact that people are informing him should be a good start.

If you did anything like this locally - and someone made a complaint - and went thru with the sale - they would be carting him off to jail in cuffs!

mike
    Mike
  • Options

Oh this guy is a winner. He has sold a Michael Jordan basketball Auto'd 15/23 twice on ebay. Not including his current scams.
  • Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    "So, he's either lying or has a nice counterfeit?"

/////////////////////////////////////////////

Yup. image

Would anybody really list an expensive card without first
    looking up the CERT # on PSA? I never have. I even look
    up the cheap stuff, just to be sure the Chi-Coms have
    not started making the low end cards and holders.

We could believe the guy was "a victim" if the CERT#
    matched a real PSA card of the same type. That is the
    smart way to do the counterfeits, but most small time
    crooks are stooooooopid.

But, eBay is the real culprit. They know that by allowing T&S to
    rely on "reports from users," they have covered the company's
    rear, and they still get to collect the FVFs.

Store sellers are complaining that eBay is hiding their listings
    through the search protocol. The fact is that MILLIONS of
    buyers have fled for their lives and will never return. That
    flight is the real reason that "sales are down" on eBay.

When the FBI and the FTC finally act, we will probably have
    to find a new place to buy and sell sports cards.

storm
    Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    My policy on high dollar items is for the seller to take a photograph of the item and a recent front page of a newspaper before I make payment.

-Scott
    My sets:
    1977 Topps Star Wars - "Space Swashbucklers"
  • Options

<< <i>They have an easy case and they're not interested at all. >>

I reported these auctions to eBay twice and they've done nothing. What a joke. They really need to stepo up their anti-fraud efforts. I mean it's their job to police themselves, not ours.
  • Options
    rbdjr1rbdjr1 Posts: 4,474 ✭✭
    I also emailed this guy about the bogus Rose flip. His reply:

He replied,

"...I bought these cards legitimately through my store. The looked fine to me. I had no idea there was an issue with them until I put them on eBay. I have ended the auctions and will be contacted PSA myself. Maybe you could be a little less of a JERK and maybe inquire as to the situation before you run your mouth. Have a GREAT day!..."

What a crock!

rd
  • Options
    What language is that? It vaguely resembles english. image
  • Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    ""...I bought these cards legitimately through my store. The looked fine to me. I had no idea there was an issue with them until I put them on eBay. I have ended the auctions and will be contacted PSA myself. Maybe you could be a little less of a JERK and maybe inquire as to the situation before you run your mouth. Have a GREAT day!..."

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Usually - not always - when sombody responds that way it means
    they have been caught being naughty.

No legit card dealer, in my experience, would buy those cards without
    looking them up on the PSA cert-sheet. They might do the look-up AFTER
    they bought the cards, but they WOULD do it b4 they tried to sell them.

I am not big on the compelling nature of circumstantial evidence. But,
    in this case, it looks like the angry "name-caller" is not innocent.

Before anyone tells me that innocent people are supposed to protest
    loudly, I can say that is absolutely true. It is one of the measures I
    use to find the truth. But, they generally do not berate the people
    who have called the problem to their attention. (This is one reason
    that when pirate-busters contact errant sellers, they need to be
    VERY civil and polite in their emails. If a seller gets angry at a VERY
    polite email, we can say that there is something wrong; if a seller
    responds badly to a nasty email notice, it could be that he is just
    responding to the tone of the email. Being polite allows the skilled
    pirate busters to best guage the earnest nature of the defendant's
    attitude and response.)

GOOD SAMPLE:

"Dear Seller: You obviously do not know this, but the
    card is not genuine or has a fake flip. If you check it out at PSA
    you can confirm this. I hope you can get your money back from
    the person you bought the card from. Good Luck."

BAD SAMPLE:

"Hey rip-off. That fake card you are trying to peddle is going to
    get you kicked off of eBay."

Most things are well, that end well.

Good job extraordinary league.

imageimageimage
    Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options

PSA needs to follow up on this ebayer. I am pretty sure this guy will pawn them back into the public via his store. Some of his auctions have had shill bids on them.
  • Options
    Amazingly the guy closed all his card auctions, ebay didn't act.