Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Introducting my new Brett Butler set!

PSA finally added Brett Butler to the registry and I just finished updating the master set. I'm pretty stoked! Got a lot of work to do though.

Linky

What do you guys think?

Geordie

Comments

• Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

Do you run into much competition for his cards on ebay?

Matt
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

Geordie

That's fantastic and congratulations!

Now, for those with enquiring minds...why Brett?

Just curious - and BTW - the 82D is an absolute beauty!
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    As great as that card is, it always makes me want to cry.

Len Barker...carumba image

Planning to add the '81 TCMA Richmond card, too?
  • Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    ahhh the good old days..Brett Butler, Glenn Hubbard, and Raf Ramirez...who says size matters? LOL

I grew up watching the braves and the launching pad...it was my dads favorite team.....of course this was before they
    were good and everyone jumped the bandwagon. If Murph was a Yankee he would be in the hall already!

kevin
  • Options
    Very nice set and really nice scans too. I really appreciate when people take the time to add quality scans to their sets. It really adds a lot to the registry. The 1986 Topps Tiffany is a beauty.
  • Options
    ajwajw Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    I agree...the scans really add to the set. Thanks!

I do have a question though: why not scan the back of the Gwynn/Butler card? I don't want to see Tony's picture on your Butler registry set. I'd want to see the Butler side.

(As a Giants fan, I really think Butler is one of the most underrated players of the 1980s. He did everything well except hit homers.)
  • Options
    ArnyVeeArnyVee Posts: 4,246
    As a Dodger fan I also appreciated Butler's hustle and knack for getting on base. Congrats on finally getting the set added! I know what it's like to have to wait a lot of time to get a player set added. Good luck with finding all of the cards that you need!
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    Heh. Though he was only with SF for 3 years, Buttler will always be a Giant in my book. Cool lead off guy, and neat man of faith as well. I got an 8x10 signed by him once. He put a smiley face on it. image
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭

<< <i>image

Do you run into much competition for his cards on ebay?

Matt >>

Matt – not so much anymore. Over the past several years, I’ve only come across a few other Butler collectors, but two of those faded away a long time ago. My goal is to nab a raw copy of every Butler card ever produced – I’m over 95% of the way towards that goal. That means that new cards don’t come around very often. Most cards that come up on the Bay either go unsold – I’m really not sure what gets sold and what doesn’t. I had a guy contact me a few weeks ago that is slowly building a Butler collection – he may be grabbing some of them. As far as the rare cards that come up that I actually need, I don’t really see much competition for them.

Because new raw cards are few & far between, I decided to go a couple new directions: graded and autographs. I’ve seen a little competition for a few of the graded cards, but usually I’m able to grab them for a decent price. I’m not a PSA monthly subscriber, so I have no idea what population or SMR is for any given card, so I may have overpaid here & there. Bottom line is that I’ve had a lot of fun going after graded Butlers – even more so now that his cards have finally been added to the registry.

The other chase at some point will be the autographs. I’ve got a huge pile of dupes just waiting to be sent off for him to hopefully sign for me. Over the years I’ve been told several times that he’s very approachable regarding signing, so I’m hoping that he’ll be agreeable to helping me out. Single cards come up all the time on eBay, but I’m not paying a few bucks plus shipping for that. I’ll bide my time and see if I can get a bunch done at one time. I had a prime opportunity for that earlier this summer and totally missed out. He’s now the manager of the Class A Lancaster Jethawks (Diamondbacks – California League). In June, the Jethawks rolled into Modesto for a short series, but I was out of town that week. Bummer. Hopefully, he’ll be back next season and I’ll have another opportunity.

By the way, for those that are interested, I’ve started scanning my Butler collection. There are over 500 scans; still have another 100 or so to go. The total count is 621 different cards, including autographs, blank backs, blank fronts and other oddball stuff.

Link to my Butler wantlist, havelist and scans

Geordie
  • Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Now, for those with enquiring minds...why Brett?

Just curious - and BTW - the 82D is an absolute beauty!
    mike >>

Mike - briefly, here's why. As digicat stated below, he was a great player for the Giants. As a Dodger fan, it is my bound & sworn duty to have an intense dislike for anything Giant related. However, there always seems to be at least one Giant every year that I can’t help but like. Butler was one of them (Robby Thompson and Bill Mueller are on the list too). I loved his hustle, bunting ability, always seemed to put the ball in play. Can’t tell you how many times I saw him lay a perfect bunt down the third base line for a hit or slap the ball into left field. Great leadoff hitter. Anyway, when he became a Dodger and I picked up a few of his cards for my Dodger team sets, I just kinda started collecting him here & there and pretty soon it became an obsession. Other player collectors will understand exactly what I’m saying about that.

Another main reason has to do with our shared faith in Jesus. I think it’s neat when professional athletes are vocal about their Christianity. I also thought it was great when he was able to battle back from cancer.

Great question Mike, thanks for asking!

Geordie