Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Help on new medal purchase

Just picked this medal up today. Can anyone help on what it is and value? Thanks, Bill.
USAF RET. 1963-1984

Successful BSTs with: Grote15, MadMarty, Segoja,cucamongacoin,metalsman.

Comments

• Options
    oldshepoldshep Posts: 3,240
    I don't know about it but....WOW pretty nifty!!
    Shep
  • Options
    PreussenPreussen Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭
    This Napoleonic medal is dated 1809 (as you can tell) and pertains to Rome being united to Napoleon's empire as a "second capital." It should be approximately 40.2 mm in diameter and weigh approximately 42 g.

Laskey mentions the "second capital" and says: "...By a decree of the senate which adopted a Senatus Consultum at Paris. Rome was united to the French Empire..." Prince d'Essling also speaks of Rome being united with the French Empire. Zeitz also mentions Rome as the "second Capital."

I'm not certain of value, but it would vary considerably depending on whether it is an "original" or a later restrike. I'd estimate an original might be worth $100+. Yours appears to be in very nice condition. Is there anything on the edge of the medal? (writing or a symbol)? - Preussen

edited to add:

Laskey describes the medal as follows: “Obverse – Head and legend similar to the preceding (Head of Napoleon laureated; under the base of the bust, name of the artist, ANDRIEU F. Legend, NAPOLEON EMP. ET ROI). Reverse – The emblematic heads of Rome and Paris; on the helmet of the allegorical head of Rome, is the wolf suckling the twin brothers, Romulus and Remus, one of them is only here seen; the head-dress of Paris is composed of an antique armed ship, or galley, with two lateen sails bent, full of warriors armed with their shields, which form a bulwark around the sides of the ship. Legend – ROME PARIS DENON D. MDCCCIX; on the base of the head of Paris, the name of the artist, DEPAULIS F.”
    "Illegitimis non carborundum" -General Joseph Stilwell. See my auctions
  • Options
    Thanks Steve,
    The edge is plain. I heard from another individual that the edge has the word " Bronze" if it was a restrike. Thanks again for your help. Bill.
    USAF RET. 1963-1984

Successful BSTs with: Grote15, MadMarty, Segoja,cucamongacoin,metalsman.