Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

628 items/cards all butchered to death

This guy
Okay, we've all seen this guy but my question is.....for him to purchase these cards in
raw form; butcher them (a lot are great cards), then off to Gem grading......is he actually making a profit??
Is Gem charging him $1 per card to slab them? I guess he has to make some $ otherwise
he wouldn't be doing it. His ME page is the best ever. I think he actually believes every word
of it.

Here's a thought.....which company will go out of business first....GEM or GAI?
Tough call.

Comments

• Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

<< <i>This guy
    Okay, we've all seen this guy but my question is.....for him to purchase these cards in
    raw form; butcher them (a lot are great cards), then off to Gem grading......is he actually making a profit??
    Is Gem charging him $1 per card to slab them? I guess he has to make some $ otherwise
    he wouldn't be doing it. His ME page is the best ever. I think he actually believes every word
    of it.

Here's a thought.....which company will go out of business first....GEM or GAI?
    Tough call. >>

My understanding-- and I dont' know if this is correct-- is that this guy actually IS Gem grading.
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    First of all, I want to shoot him in the face. Second of all, there's no way he believes the horseshlt he spews because it's his dumb a$$ putting the Sayers', Jordan's and Lemiuex's through the carving machine. He just came up with a nice little story that helps him rip off people who don't know any better.

As far as if he's making money, look at his completed auctions and imagine if he bought these cards with one bad corner or slight off centering that could easily be sliced off. Yeah, he's making money.

Lee
  • Options
    EagleEyeKidEagleEyeKid Posts: 4,496 ✭✭
    Wow, 1294 cards mutilated in the past 30 days.
    A lot of good stuff destroyed.
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    How are we sure that he his actually altering the card?? Are these cards just overgraded, more like 7s?? Not sticking up for GEM, but just wondering how it is know for sure or not.
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    It's Gem Elite. They could well be counterfeits. That was one of the two "grading" companies of choice for the influx of bad fakes of valuable Star cards last year. [Tuff Stuff had a detailed article about it, including close-up pictures showing the dead giveaways on the counterfeits - often typesetting and font problems.].

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,355 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know if Gem actually trims them - but they are willing to holder them...

So in the end - the crime is the same.

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    i know this guy owns the company & he grades all his own cards. they dont accept submissions. are the cards altered..................NO, there just very over graded. like anyone he buys just like us & may get altered cards but the only crime hes doing is actually over grading his cards.

on the side note he is actually very smart. he actually has cards in a holder that isnt psa, gai, bgs or sgc that sells.
  • Options
    jimq112jimq112 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭
    right from the website -

"Size requirements for sportscards are the standard published size plus or minus 3 mm."

gem grading
  • Options
    EagleEyeKidEagleEyeKid Posts: 4,496 ✭✭
    i know this guy owns the company

He doesn't own it. He lives in Michigan, and Gem is in Indiana.
    I used to buy from him years ago when he had other Ebay IDs
    (wildpuck1 NARU and wild-card1 NARU). The wildpuck1 ID was a good one for buying BGS and PSA graded cards. The only bad thng about it was he was very slow but he was very honest. He then opened up wild-card1 and sold card raws and Gem graded and it all went to hell. The ME page on wild-card1 is just as funny. Guess the frustration and disappointment got to him when he couldn't get the high grades so he took the easy way out and his fb went to hell.
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    the owner of GEM could also be kane04 if he is still around
  • Options
    GOODLIEUGOODLIEU Posts: 629 ✭✭
    I ran his feedback on Toolhaus and it is a mess. His response to the Neg below is kind of indicative of the logic used in the selling of the Gem slabs.

purchased 12 cards-sent them to psa for regrades returned Evidence of trimming
    Buyer snake120_0( 921) May-24-06 19:16 8809715958
    Reply by gemelitegrading: GEM was created by former PSA top grader..PSA doesnt grade GEM for spite! May-24-06 19:54