Home Sports Talk
Options

Ichiro in centerfield

tkd7tkd7 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭
Just made one of the best catches I've seen in the 7th inning of tonight's Yanks - M's game.

Comments

• Options
    bri2327bri2327 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭
    Agreed.

He is all over the place. Superb instincts, all over the place, and has a cannon for an arm. Why he hasnt been in center field longer I dont know.
    "The other teams could make trouble for us if they win."
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options
    I always thought he should've been in CF since day 1 over here in the MLB. Has ALWAYs shown the speed and balleye for it. Hopefully the M's will either build around him and quickly or he'll go to a team with a fighting chance. Personally I'd like to see him replace Jim Edmonds in St. Louis. I think that's ONE move the Cards could make that could seriously add a WS like dimension to the team. Just my .o2
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils
    1950s-1960s Topps NY Giants Team cards

Looking for Topps rookies as well.

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    Yankees announcers have said the last two nights that Seattle wants him to hit more HRs? Can this really be true? What a shame to ask something like that out of a guy who goes to the park and gives them everything he has...if that is in fact true.
  • Options
    ^^

Yankeeno-Just wait til "ax" explains this one. I've heard it before, and not only is his explaination a farce its quite laughable as well.
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff
  • Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    I've never heard anyone say anything about asking Ichiro to hit more HRs.

He was moved to center to make some adjustments with the recent call up of T. J Bohn and Chris Snelling returning from the DL.

Why hasn't he played center? Well, right field is his natural position, and the M's have had some talented players play CF in his tenure: Mike Cameron was in place before Ichiro came in, and played there for a few years, then Randy Winn had a one year stop, with a youngster named Jeremy Reed waiting in the wings. Reed hasn't come along as quickly as hoped, and he's had some injuries.

I think Ichiro would be a super fielder wherever he plays - he's such a gifted athlete with such great baseball instincts I think he'd flourish whatever position he played at.

• Options
    I definetly agree Ichiro is one of those guys if I was building a team, he'd be on it. Speed, great hitter, great arm, speed(yes, he's that fast). He's a gamer.
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff
  • Options
    Snelling had another great night last night, going 2 for 4 and scoring 2 runs...he's batting .400 this year.

• Options
    I thought Ichiro played CF in Japan and made a switch to RF because of Mike cameron. Did he?

RIP Snow
  • Options
    CubbyCubby Posts: 2,096
    You could put Ichiro in any outfield (and possibly infield) position, and he would flourish.

BTW: Cubby=Cub Fan
  • Options
    Ichiro got to the 200 hit plateau again tonight, extending his record of consecutive 200 hit seasons to start a career (6) and closing in even further on the consecutive 200 hit season record.

He stole his 33rd consecutive base tonight, setting an AL record in the process.
  • Options
    bri2327bri2327 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭

<< <i>Ichiro got to the 200 hit plateau again tonight, extending his record of consecutive 200 hit seasons to start a career (6) and closing in even further on the consecutive 200 hit season record.

He stole his 33rd consecutive base tonight, setting an AL record in the process. >>

He has amazing instincts on the basepaths. Overall world class baseball IQ.
    "The other teams could make trouble for us if they win."
    -- Yogi Berra