Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Done deal? - How would you handle it?

Okay, the 2006 coins are new and now being slabbed at a huge rate. I made 3 06-p Kennedy's in ms69 SF and 2 of the coins were done deals at a certain price. Now people are starting to send around their prices lists and mass list top coins and people are backing out of the coins or eluding to price adjustments etc.. One coin was on the way and the guy is backing out even before it got there and the other wants me to rip up his check. It's amazing how Dealers have certain standards in every day commerce and buyers think they are able to flake on their "deals". There are a few ways to look at this but I offer this up to the board for an impartial opinion on the world of moderns.

Comments

• Options
    ellewoodellewood Posts: 1,750
    Got any lincolns in 69SF? I'm still waiting on mine to come back from PCGS and, if I don't get what I'm looking for, well then I'll need to purchase a couple! image

Sorry to hear about your cold feet buyers. They outta stick to their word if they agreed on a price. You could have gotten that same $$$ from a different buyer if they had passed on the deal.

Good luck with it...

T
  • Options
    DatentypeDatentype Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭
    Thanks ellewood. Well put! I do have Lincoln's in that grade and great price for you if you're interested just PM me.
  • Options
    Dan50Dan50 Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭
    DT I for one think when you make a deal, you should stand by it. There can be reasons for a person to change their mind. Something beyond their control, but an agreed upon price is not one of them, so you are right to be miffed at these people. image
    Dan
  • Options
    DrizztDrizzt Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭
    It's all part of the gotta have it now game. If yours ended up being the only 2 made, I'd like to see the thread they started about YOU wanting to tear up their checks. Yup, I was one of the ones that paid around $130 for a 2001 Sac in MS-68 when they first came out. Now THAT was a lesson in population increase....
  • Options
    TACloughTAClough Posts: 1,598

<< <i>Okay, the 2006 coins are new and now being slabbed at a huge rate. I made 3 06-p Kennedy's in ms69 SF and 2 of the coins were done deals at a certain price. Now people are starting to send around their prices lists and mass list top coins and people are backing out of the coins or eluding to price adjustments etc.. One coin was on the way and the guy is backing out even before it got there and the other wants me to rip up his check. It's amazing how Dealers have certain standards in every day commerce and buyers think they are able to flake on their "deals". There are a few ways to look at this but I offer this up to the board for an impartial opinion on the world of moderns. >>

I hope you are not "painting all Collectors with the same brush"? I will not mention names, but I have been on the oppisite side of the deal, when the seller backed out (not with Datentype).

Sorry Mark, but I took offense to your above statement. People on and off of these boards know that I bought my 2006 SF Kennedys from you (all they have to do is look at my son's set in the regisrty and they will see who is credited for suppling them). We never asked for a reduction in the price or refund and wouldn't. Just like if the pop of the 06(D) stands, I hope that you will not ask for an increase years from now.

I am sorry that a few people have backed out of deals with you but don't lump everyone in the same bunch.

JMHO,
    Tim
  • Options
    Definitely not you Tim, I just reffering to the 3 coins I had slabbed after that and not refering to any other deals. It's just how Dealers need to stand by their deals and then on the other side when the buyer backs out a weel later it holds up the sale of the coin in the meantime.

Hey Mitch, what is your view on this one? i have seen dealers that have just mentioned a deal to another dealer be stuck with a bill even if no money was exchanged or effort involved or even a deal struck. Some dealers feel they have a part in something even if they never worked or out laid cash. How about someone who says yes and cancels there deal midstream not even going into the usual medical bills email. I got 2 of those emails last week. I just can't tell if they are fake or real??
  • Options
    TACloughTAClough Posts: 1,598

<< <i>Definitely not you Tim, I just reffering to the 3 coins I had slabbed after that and not refering to any other deals. It's just how Dealers need to stand by their deals and then on the other side when the buyer backs out a weel later it holds up the sale of the coin in the meantime. >>

The ones that back out, I hope you put on the "Black Ball" List and refuse to sell to in the future? That way, more coins for meeeee. image
  • Options
    Tim, you are absolutely the best of the best from a dealer standpoint. Oh no, now I'm gonna get emails from the rest of the people who are tied with you.......
  • Options
    That is unfortunate that people do end up doing this kind of activity. Persoanlly I would make it a point to never sell to them anymore and I would consider posting the names of the people here so others can benefit from the knowledge of these people's habits.

Zach
  • Options
    Zach, I do not think it would be right to put their names up publically but I do see cause for not selling to them again.
  • Options
    NumisMeNumisMe Posts: 841 ✭✭
    Mark, I feel for you. I know exactly how you feel.

It's kind of like winning an auction, and then finding out that the coin is not available!!! image

But seriously, it ain't right. image
  • Options
    I just wanted to clarify that the deals on Ebay are the ones that had people emailing me to get out of their purchases due to medical costs. Only done deals were refered to here. Believe me, I have a heart on this stuff but, I've got so many hard luck emails from Ebay auctions that I do know what to think.
  • Options
    Did the winner of eBay auction 260009497421 back out? If so, I think I was the under bid on the NGC 2002D MS69.image
  • Options

<< <i>Zach, I do not think it would be right to put their names up publically but I do see cause for not selling to them again. >>

True but then the rest of us may become a victim like yourself. If we knew who they were we could exercise caution when selling to them if at all. Persoanlly I would prefer to block them from bidding on my auctions. I agree with you that of course you should "have a heart". But I see so many people jumping the gun on these first coins made. Sometimes it pays off but if you wait a little bit you will get a much better deal most of the time.

I have been on both sides of this. I bought many of my 1980 MS coins when the pops were much lower. On some of them the prices have been cut by almost half. Others like the 2004 P florida in ms68 that I bought for $180 that now goes for $500-600.

All I am trying to say is it seems like these people are being poor clients and that some of the people here might want to block them from bidding on any coins to avoid the same fate.

Either way I wish you luck with them.