Home Sports Talk
Options

NL MVP

frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
I believe the front runners are Carlos Beltran, Ryan Howard, and Albert Pujols.

(Trying not to be biased), I really think that Pujols should win his second in a row.

Here is why. The Phillies probably won't make the playoffs. The Mets would win their division without Beltran. The Cardinals will make the playoffs with Pujols absolutley carrying them. The Cardinals would be 3rd or 4th in the division without Pujols.

Stats as of 8-24-06

AVG - 3rd Pujols .328; 26th Howard .292; 34th Beltran .286

HR - 1st Howard 44; 3rd Pujols 38; 5th Beltran 36

RBI - 1st Howard 113; 2nd Pujols 107; 3rd Beltran 103

OPS - 1st Pujols 1.114; 4th Beltran 1.012; 5th Howard .999

SLG - 1st Pujols .684; 2nd Beltran .624; 3rd Howard .617

OBP - 2nd Pujols .429; 13th Beltran .388; 17th Howard .382

RUNS - 4th Beltran 97; 6th Pujos 93; 22nd Howard 75

All this PLUS Pujols missed 3 weeks. That's right - 3 weeks!

Now, let's look at rank on their OWN TEAM for 6 main offensive categories (AVG, HR, RBI, RUNS, SB, OPS).

Ryan Howard leads his team in 3 of 6 categories (HR, RBI, and OPS).

Carlos Beltran leads his team in 3 of 6 categories (HR, RBI, and OPS).

Albert Pujols leads his team in 5 of 6 categories (AVG, HR, RBI, RUNS, and OPS), and he is second on his team in SB.

Plus, I believe that you will be able to add a gold glove to that resume as well.

Now, who is the Most Valuable Player?

Shane

Comments

• Options
    I absolutely hate the Cardinals. But I cant argue with the above.

I hate the Packers too, but its very hard not to like and respect Brett Favre and Albert Pujols.
  • Options
    gosteelersgosteelers Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭
    I agree with Frank Hardy...Pujols is the guy this year (again)...He deserves it, with Howard finishing second...
  • Options
    Pujols will win if the Cards win the Central, but they are not even treading water and may fall out of the playoffs. IF Philly gets in the playoffs which is a strong possibility, I see Howard winning it. In fact right now, I give the overall edge to Howard.
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils
    1950s-1960s Topps NY Giants Team cards

Looking for Topps rookies as well.

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff
  • Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Pujols will win if the Cards win the Central, but they are not even treading water and may fall out of the playoffs. IF Philly gets in the playoffs which is a strong possibility, I see Howard winning it. In fact right now, I give the overall edge to Howard. >>

ONLY if the Cardinals fall out and the Phillies get in. Then I can see it.

Shane

• Options
    Exactly what I'm saying hardy.
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils
    1950s-1960s Topps NY Giants Team cards

Looking for Topps rookies as well.

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff
  • Options
    gosteelersgosteelers Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭
    Ryan Howard's making a very strong case in these last few games. Grand slam tonight!
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,518 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ryan Howard is NASTY.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All this PLUS Pujols missed 3 weeks. That's right - 3 weeks!

That is true but few recall that Beltran himself missed 2 weeks earlier this year, too. In fact, Beltran has played in only 6 more games than Albert. Beltran has been on fire of late (another homer tonight and 38 now for the year) and I think he has a great shot to win the award. It's between him and Puljos at this point. I think it'll be close. I used to think that Wright was going to split the Mets MVP vote but he has faded of late so Beltran is the man right now, though Reyes also deserves some consideration.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Rewarding a player an MVP based on the ability of his teammates renders the award meaningless. That is exactly what the above scenario is doing. That is how it has typically been voted on, and I can't fault frankhardy for doing the same criteria, but the following three questions should show the folly in this type of rationale...

Pujols will win the award because his teammates are just bad enough to make his presence be the difference between making the playoffs or not?

And Beltran will not win the award because his teammates are too good and thus make his presence less significant for making the playoffs?

And Howard will not win the award because his teammates are god awful enough so as to make Howards presence not significant enough where even if Zeuss was their centerfielder they still wouldn't make the playoffs??

Their 'value' is thus completely cemented to how good, bad, or mediocre their teammates are. The award is given to the guy who just happens to be on the team where they are good enough to squeak into the playoffs, but not too good where they would make the playoffs without him, and not to bad where it doesn't matter which player was on the team.

If that is how people want to view the award, then they should change the name, because the most valuable player is the best player. The best player is the one that a team has the best chance to win with(attitude being equal, though that is about 1% of the equation). The best player is the one that any team should want.

For any rookies on the board, I know full well the history of the award, and how it typically has been voted(though hypocrisy often prevails). It is simply rendered a virtually meaningless award to measure an individual player based on such criteria.

P.S. This is an Arod statement, and really isn't part of the topic(thogh it could made to be, and I haven't much interest to discuss it)... There is an automatic notion that Arod has prevailed as the best player in MLB for the last many years, wrong. 1)During Bonds's run Bonds was clearly better. 2) Once Arod no longer had shortstop status to help his true value to a team, his value took a drop. 3)Has nothing to do with this, but how come Arod got a free pass for any HGH????
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    HR - 1st Howard 44; 3rd Pujols 38; 5th Beltran 36

RBI - 1st Howard 113; 2nd Pujols 107; 3rd Beltran 103

Beltran has now surpassed Puljos in RBIs and has tied him in HRs.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.