Home Sports Talk
Options

To Cowboys fans and non-Eagles fans who bashed Andy Reid

stevekstevek Posts: 27,770 ✭✭✭✭✭
All those Cowboys fans and non-Eagles fans out there who were bashing Andy Reid as a coach for not being able to "handle" TO "properly" - Now can you understand that TO is a team cancer that can't be controlled...and he's getting worse. Each of you should send Andy Reid a written letter of apology!

Frustration Builds as T.O. Nurses Hamstring
MRIs Negative, but Receiver Not Ready to Play

By STEPHEN HAWKINS
AP

IRVING, Texas (Aug. 23) - Terrell Owens won't be in any hurry to get off the bicycle this time.

Like he did for most practices during training camp in Oxnard, Calif., Owens rode a stationary bicycle Wednesday when the Dallas Cowboys held their first workout at home. The receiver said he reaggravated his left hamstring injury by returning to practice too soon last week.

"At this point, yeah, I will be close to 100 percent before I get back on the field," Owens said. "I'm not going to jeopardize my health just because of speculation or anything like that."

Owens characterized his injury as a "severe pull" and said he almost certainly will miss his third straight preseason game. The Cowboys play at home Saturday night against San Francisco, Owens' original team.

"It's frustrating, but it's not where I need it to be to play and perform like I need to," Owens said. "So at this point, I'm going to be smart about it."

Asked if he could play if the regular season were starting, Owens said, "I doubt it, not the way I need to play."

Drama Needs Characters

The Star
Terrell Owens

"I felt like I got more reps than my body
was ready for, than
my injury was
ready for."

The Owner
Jerry Jones

"It's not an issue in the sense of what Terrell is about. It's an issue of him getting ready to help our team."

The Coach
Bill Parcells

"Where he is and actually doing it is hard to tell. ... I'm going to have to see something."

After missing 14 consecutive training camp practices and the preseason opener in Seattle because of the hamstring problem that has bothered him all month, Owens returned for five practices last week. He then missed the final full workout in California and didn't play Monday night against New Orleans in Shreveport, La., after the hamstring tightened up on him.

Owens had returned to practice after Cowboys owner Jerry Jones suggested that the receiver needed to learn how to practice at less than 100 percent. His first practice back came only hours after coach Bill Parcells reiterated that Owens needed to be on the field.

"I felt like I was never pressured to get back on the field. I just tried to compromise with some people, just try to be around the team and get back out there," Owens said. "It just flared up again."

Owens first felt a twinge in his hamstring Aug. 2, but an MRI taken three days later was clear. Owens said another MRI taken this week was also negative, with only a little fluid in the hamstring.

"Just because the MRI doesn't show anything, that doesn't mean that I'm not hurting," Owens said. "I got to a point where I was feeling a little bit healthier (last week), obviously to go out there and practice. I felt like I got more reps than my body was ready for, than my injury was ready for."

Owens went through individual and team drills last week, running routes at full speed and making hard cuts without any apparent problems.

While saying he would take a "majority" of the blame for doing too much, Owens said he thought he was only going to be doing "limited stuff" on the field.

"That went out the window after the first day," Owens said.

Dallas has its final preseason game five nights after playing the 49ers.

It's possible that Owens might not play in a game for Dallas until the Sept. 10 season opener at Jacksonville. He hasn't played in a game with quarterback Drew Bledsoe, and the Dallas offense is different from the West Coast scheme Owens played in for the 49ers and Philadelphia.

"He is pretty much up on what to do," Parcells said. "He has been very attentive in meetings and trying to learn. There are some adjustments for him to make. Where he is and actually doing it is hard to tell. ... I'm going to have to see something."

Owens said he's not concerned about the possibility of not playing in the preseason. He wants to make sure he is healthy for the regular season.

"I don't really have any doubts about if I'm going to perform or not," he said. "Obviously, I need to get on the field ... to try to get in a rhythm in the offense. I think that will come with time, and I don't think I'm too far off."

Except he's not getting any closer riding a stationary bike.

2006-08-23 18:53:26

Comments

• Options
    gosteelersgosteelers Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭
    T.O. is, and always will be, an ass! I love hating the Cowboys again!
  • Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    Anyone who doesn't think he won't be ready to go in week 1 is setting themselves up for a surprise.

Who cares if he misses some training camp - he sure as hell doesn't need it.

• Options
    1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    I think TO will be fine ... his hammy that is. Apparently there is also a problem with his groin, and I think that will be fine.

Does anyone think that TO and Parcells have already had enough? I wonder if TO realizes he was a friggin god in Philly and that he really dropped the ball by acting like a friggin baby.

I hope he is fine for 10/8 .... he may not want to embarass himself that game. By that time, TO may have already gotten into numerous spats with Bledsoe (too bad he is a cowboy, as I have always been a fan) and with Parcells (too bad he is a boys coach, as I have always respected him). He may even be gone by that time.

I am actually starting to rethink my stance that TO's first year in dallass will be a huge success.
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    There is only one thing worse than having a bullseye on your back come week 1

Having a bullseye on your back in week 1 when you are broken down.

That nasty nasty Jags defense has GOT to be licking their chops now!

JS
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,770 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Anyone who doesn't think he won't be ready to go in week 1 is setting themselves up for a surprise.

Who cares if he misses some training camp - he sure as hell doesn't need it. >>

Where you are incorrect is that in the past TO was always a good player in practice. He didn't necessarily like getting hit in practice, no receiver does especially by rookies trying to make the team and willing to take anybody's head off to do so, but TO always prepared himself accordingly.

Is TO really hurt? I think he might be a little bit, but his type of injury is not the type of injury that would excuse virtually any other player from practice. Especially with the quarterback and receiver getting to know each other's tendencies being extremely important to a winning team...and that can't be done studying film - that has to be done in practice on the field.

Will TO get a number of catches this season? Most likely yes, but what is important is getting the catches to move the chains in key situations and score touchdowns when the game is on the line...that's where "the great" TO will be lacking this season.
  • Options
    kuhlmannkuhlmann Posts: 3,326 ✭✭
    We are going to win with or without TO!

cowboys defense has looked totaly sick this preseason. They will be the #1 defense in the nfl.

last time i checked defense wins championship's. isnt that right peyton???

plus cowboys offense is looking real good without TO.

no worried from this cowboys fan!

ahh what about those mets. no pitching but just keep on trucking. see you in the series!