Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Other dimes I tried to get....Heritage auction....

DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
that went crazy in my opinoin.

A 1848 AU53 went for 348 PCGS list 168

A 1902-O AU58 went for 546 PCGS list 155 (400 in 60!!!)

A 1930-S in MS64 went for 218 PCGS list 95 (190 in 65!!!)

I think I am better off finding nice coins raw and making them myself!image

Jon

Comments

• Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I think I am better off finding nice coins raw and making them myself!image

Jon >>

This is usually the best way to go with some of the older stuff, that is virtually impossible to find. Right now, I am amassing a long list to send into PCGS.

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Makes sense; getting these dimes raw does seem to make sense.

But when you least expect it, you will find these dimes at shows or from dealer stock.
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    I too have found nice PCGS circ dimes at the big shows.

I don't know why they go so crazy in the auctions, especially Heritage. I wonder if people are thinking upgrade? That is a game I won't play. I have found that if I am patient the coin I want will come along. I'm glad I was out bid on the 1848. I bid too high and I have a nice raw one that will go XF45 or maybe AU50. Sometimes even the Dimeman gets cought up in the hurry up and get it now in the holder so I won't have to submit mine. Now I am finding that I really enjoy making my own from coins I find looking around for at shows. It kind of hones your grading skills. The hardest part is avoiding BB returns. Sometimes me and PCGS don't see eye to eye on surfaceses and toning, but that is a whole other topic.

Jon
  • Options

<< <i>I too have found nice PCGS circ dimes at the big shows.

I don't know why they go so crazy in the auctions, especially Heritage. I wonder if people are thinking upgrade? That is a game I won't play. I have found that if I am patient the coin I want will come along. I'm glad I was out bid on the 1848. I bid too high and I have a nice raw one that will go XF45 or maybe AU50. Sometimes even the Dimeman gets cought up in the hurry up and get it now in the holder so I won't have to submit mine. Now I am finding that I really enjoy making my own from coins I find looking around for at shows. It kind of hones your grading skills. The hardest part is avoiding BB returns. Sometimes me and PCGS don't see eye to eye on surfaceses and toning, but that is a whole other topic.

Jon >>

Patience is a key attribute of a real collector in my opinion. The ability to pass up a coin for one of several reasons is a very tough thing to do. But if you master the ability to let coins go you will end up being a much more happy collector, not to mention you will save quite a bit of money.

I find myself in the situation of having to pass up several lincolns each week due to crazy prices on them from hype or pent-up demand for a specific coin. If a coin is truly PQ for the grade I will be willing to spend a little above market value for it. However, if it is simply a middle of the grade coin that is going for above market price I will pass it up and hold out for the next one, even if that next one is years away.

Zach
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 1848 dime is a VERY underrated date in strong AU or better.
    I've owned a few MS63 coins but they tended to be dipped and lifeless. Owning a gem of this date (or an 1847, 53-0, 58-0) was always one of my goals. Of the 4 dates I only succeeded on the
    58-0. I once owned a very pretty AU58 1848 dime. I wish I had it back today. The 1848 quarter and half are also neat coins to own in AU, the quarter is tougher than the dime. The price of the 1848 dime could have been very reasonable. A choice 1848 dime is underpriced on the sheets imo all the way up to MS65. Send me all the nice MS63's you have for $600 bid (I'd say they were worth closer to $1000). A real AU50 for $120 bid is a steal. I've never owned or even HELD a nice MS 1848 dime that I liked. Most look like trash.

The 1902-0 dime is available in nice mint state but the price of VF-AU pieces of many branch mints have been closing down on the MS62-63 pieces. Those are needed for sets and the collectors will pay extra for an AU rather than pay even more for a MS63 that doesn't fit in a circ set.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    CaseyCasey Posts: 1,502 ✭✭
    I helped drive the price of the 1902-O and was amazed that I wasn't successful. It looked nice.
  • Options
    On ebay, I just won this 1894 barber dime in PCGS MS-63 for $350.92.

• Options
    DrizztDrizzt Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭
    wow...you people and your older MS dimes.....*jealousy alert*...
  • Options
    oreville,

I really like your 1894 dime. I think I like it better than mine!image

Jon
  • Options
    Dimeman: Perhaps you are right on the 1894 dime but you are still ahead of me on the registry dime type set!