Home Sports Talk

Oddball sports statistics

Funny how you think you've seen it all and then something else happens you didn't think was possible.

Last year, a pitcher got the win without throwing a pitch.

Today, a pitcher threw two pitches without facing a batter.

Huh??

It happened. Anyone know how?

Reminds me of another baseball trivia/oddball question. What's the most amount of hits a team can get in one inning without scoring a run?? How's it done??

I'll check back in to see how long it takes you guys to figure these three things out.

shawn

Comments

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Today, a pitcher threw two pitches without facing a batter.

That happened today in the Cin-Hou game when the pitcher was ejected with the count at 3-1 and the reliever came in and threw ball four after throwing a strike. The walk was charged to the ejected pitcher.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • bri2327bri2327 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭
    I didnt see it, but unless I am wrong cant it also occur this way....a pitcher comes in with a runner on first and two outs. He throws 2 pitches, then the runner gets thrown out trying to steal.
    "The other teams could make trouble for us if they win."
    -- Yogi Berra

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He throws 2 pitches, then the runner gets thrown out trying to steal.

Yes, that's another possible scenario.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭✭✭
    About the hits in an inning without scoring a run - wouldn't that be 5? Here is my theory.

The first three batters get hits - that's 3.

Then two runners (runner on third and second) are picked off - that's 3 hits and 2 outs.

That leaves one runner on first base.

Then there is two more hits with no one scoring.

Then, the third out.

Am I right?

Shane

• Ill say six.

The first two guys hit triples and get thrown out at the plate trying for an inside the park homer. The next three guys get singles with the runners only advancing one base. The next batter hits a ball that hits one of the runners in fair territory. Although an out is recorded, the batter is credited with a single I believe.
  • BigRedMachineBigRedMachine Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Ill say six.

The first two guys hit triples and get thrown out at the plate trying for an inside the park homer. The next three guys get singles with the runners only advancing one base. The next batter hits a ball that hits one of the runners in fair territory. Although an out is recorded, the batter is credited with a single I believe. >>

Right Keith!!image

An oddball scoring rule makes the answer six.

Grote and Brian, right on.

Brian, what you described is what happened to a pitcher last year. He entered the game with a runner on and the game tied and picked off the runner on first BEFORE HE EVER THREW A PITCH. His team went on to take the lead the bottom half of the inning and another pitcher was brought in. So he got credit for the win WITHOUT THROWING A PITCH.

Odd stuff I thought. Like I said, I see and learn something new everyday.

shawn
  • BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,454 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The first two guys hit triples and get thrown out at the plate trying for an inside the park homer. The next three guys get singles with the runners only advancing one base. The next batter hits a ball that hits one of the runners in fair territory. Although an out is recorded, the batter is credited with a single I believe. >>

That's how the Red Sox do it, seemingly every game!
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i> >>

That's how the Red Sox do it, seemingly every game!
    image >>

Yup