Home Sports Talk

OT/ Snakes on a plane.. read this!

some freaking pranksters released 2 rattle snakes in arizona during the movie in the theater.

No one was bit. could you imagine the freaking panic during that!

I for one hate snakes. those guys if they find out who did it should do series time for that sh$t!!

Comments

• That sucks. You know what works good on em? .45s. I've been killing snakes since I was a little guy, been bit more than once(thats what started my hatred for these vile creatures). I had a cat that I saw fight a copperhead(He was bitten like 5 times in the process but he killed it) and the cat was fine.
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils
    1950s-1960s Topps NY Giants Team cards

Looking for Topps rookies as well.

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff
  • BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

<< <i>That sucks. You know what works good on em? .45s. I've been killing snakes since I was a little guy, been bit more than once(thats what started my hatred for these vile creatures). I had a cat that I saw fight a copperhead(He was bitten like 5 times in the process but he killed it) and the cat was fine. >>

Oh, please. Yeah, that's a great idea-- touch off a .45 from eight feet away at a moving target that has the width of a candy bar. No wasted ammo there...

If you want to kill a snake you decapitate it with a flathead shovel. End of story.
  • bri2327bri2327 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭
    Completely moronic and dangerous thing to do.

That being said, I love snakes. I have been exposed to them since a very early age. One of my best friends older brother raised and bred nearly every species you can imagine. He payed ever cent of his way through vet school doing it. I can recall feeding live chickens and pot bellied pigs to his 18 ft reticulated python growing up.

I can remember being 8 or 9 going on vacation in Florida and getting yelled at by my parents for picking water moccasins up with sticks to play with. I dont know what it is, they just always fascinated me, and I never had much fear of them.

I had a red tailed boa myself. He was without a doubt my favorite pet ever. I used to take him everywhere with me. Last winter I was away for a few days, the power went out, thus knocking his heat lamps out and he froze to death. I was completely crushed. He was only 8 yrs old ( they live to be around 35 or so ) and expected my children to grow up with him too.

Im just getting to the point now where I am ready for another. Best part, my fiance is completely fine with it, as long as she doesnt have to watch me feeding it.
    "The other teams could make trouble for us if they win."
    -- Yogi Berra

• << <i>

<< <i>That sucks. You know what works good on em? .45s. I've been killing snakes since I was a little guy, been bit more than once(thats what started my hatred for these vile creatures). I had a cat that I saw fight a copperhead(He was bitten like 5 times in the process but he killed it) and the cat was fine. >>

Oh, please. Yeah, that's a great idea-- touch off a .45 from eight feet away at a moving target that has the width of a candy bar. No wasted ammo there...

If you want to kill a snake you decapitate it with a flathead shovel. End of story. >>

It worked well when I was camping in the southwest, where the farthest one away was in the 5 ft range. Plus, you catch them outside in the morning(I go on hunting, fishing trips so we're all up around dawnbreak) it's cold and they don't move to much. It helps that I'm a damn good shot. Go ahead and get close to a rattler, that's your perogative. I've been bitten a few times and lemme tell you, it's not fun. Of course if I find one in my yard I get it with either a flathoe or a shovel. But when you open your tent at 5am and a rattler is about 3 feet away from you and you've got a sidearm within reach...I think it goes without saying he's getting plastered.
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff
    Damn, lots of hatred for the little fellas !

-- Yogi Berra

• Bri-At my last college house we had a python that became mine when well, I started taking care of it. But we also had 3 dogs, a cat, an aquarium of pirahnas, the feeder fish we raised for the pirahnas, a couple smaller snakes, and probably 4-6 lizards.

I don't hate snakes til I wakeup and open my tent and I see one staring me down. I hold spiders on a MUCH higher level of hatred after getting bitten by a brown recluse and nearly having to have 2 of fingers amputated.
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff
    All I gotta say is this....if you are killing them, I hope you are throwing them on the BBQ after !

Where were you when you got bit by the brown recluse ?
    -- Yogi Berra

<< <i>Completely moronic and dangerous thing to do.

That being said, I love snakes. I have been exposed to them since a very early age. One of my best friends older brother raised and bred nearly every species you can imagine. He payed ever cent of his way through vet school doing it. I can recall feeding live chickens and pot bellied pigs to his 18 ft reticulated python growing up.

I can remember being 8 or 9 going on vacation in Florida and getting yelled at by my parents for picking water moccasins up with sticks to play with. I dont know what it is, they just always fascinated me, and I never had much fear of them.

I had a red tailed boa myself. He was without a doubt my favorite pet ever. I used to take him everywhere with me. Last winter I was away for a few days, the power went out, thus knocking his heat lamps out and he froze to death. I was completely crushed. He was only 8 yrs old ( they live to be around 35 or so ) and expected my children to grow up with him too.

Im just getting to the point now where I am ready for another. Best part, my fiance is completely fine with it, as long as she doesnt have to watch me feeding it. >>

The reticulated python is one incredible animal. What people who've never seen one typically fail to appreciate is how wide they are. If you've ever wondered how a snake can eat a frickin' leopard it will make a lot more sense you you once you see one of these jumbo pythons.

I really like snakes too. One of my highlights as a kid was catching a 7 ft. Speckled King behind a wood pile in Shiloh, Tn. I was never brave enough to jerk around with cottonmouths, although growing up in Missouri I did come face to face with scores of copperheads.

• << <i>All I gotta say is this....if you are killing them, I hope you are throwing them on the BBQ after !
    Where were you when you got bit by the brown recluse ? >>

I eat snake, and almost everything I kill/hunt(Deer, squirrel, rabbit, moose, shark, etc.). I was in my backyard(maybe 7-8 years old) climbing in our grove of leyland cyprusses(we had around 50 in our backyard that was slightly more than .5 acre). I felt a searing pinch and kept looking for the boomarang we lost. My brother ended up chipping off half of his front tooth that day and I honestly though I was just bit bad by a bug of somesort. My wound got so bad I could actually look through my skin and see my bone in my ring finger. I showed it off to my friends until the doc starting talking about evasive surgery. Luckily they held off and it eventually went away, I still have one of the coolest looking scars I've ever seen.
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff
    You are very lucky you didnt have to have the finger chopped off....they can be one bit@h of a wound.

Boo,

Totally right on about the retics. The largest one he had that I spoke of was just about as wide as my torso, and I am 6 ft 185lbs. Amazing creatures.

I prefer the red tailed boas though, they are completely docile creatures. Mine just loved being handled by anyone and everyone. None I have ever been around ever showed the first sign of aggression. The same cant be said for the Retics, Burmese, or ball pythons. They all have a nasty side at times.

I caught a real handsome milk snake out back last week...maybe about 3 ft in length. My 2 yr old nephew to be got a lick out of it for a couple of hours of me messin with it before I let it go.
    -- Yogi Berra

• joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭

A match and a can of hairspray works well too!

JS
  • Stalin-Break cleaner can make one helluva flame thrower as well.

Bri-It was NASTY. My finger was so bloated my pinkie would hurt b/c it was being pushed to the side so far. I wish I had a pic, honestly.
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff

<< <i>Stalin-Break cleaner can make one helluva flame thrower as well.

Bri-It was NASTY. My finger was so bloated my pinkie would hurt b/c it was being pushed to the side so far. I wish I had a pic, honestly. >>

A couple of friends that work the Lobster boats for a living have had similar disasters with their fingers...I forget the excact terminology they use for it, but it occurs after some infection given by the lobsters clawing their fingers.....NASTY stuff.
    -- Yogi Berra

• pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Oh, please. Yeah, that's a great idea-- touch off a .45 from eight feet away at a moving target that has the width of a candy bar. No wasted ammo there...

If you want to kill a snake you decapitate it with a flathead shovel. End of story. >>

actually, a garden ho is much more effective than even a shovel.. image

i grew up in the woods and swamps of northeast florida.. seeing snakes isnt unusual, but yeah, we always killed them.. dont get me wrong, ive also shot snakes, and they become pretty easy to hit with a pistol after a while, especially if theyre standing still and youre used to the pistol..

Brian, water moccasins are mean.. image you shouldnt pick them up..

theyre also called cottonmouths around here.. i cant say much about boopotts wasted ammo comment, because i once chased a water moccasin with a riding lawnmower, into the canal in my front yard.. i meant to stop, but me and my riding mower ended up nose-first in the creek.. however, when i stood up, i saw the snake sliced and belly-up in the water..
    ·p_A·

<< <i>A match and a can of hairspray works well too!

JS >>

LOL @ joestalin.. dont ya love our town?..
    ·p_A·
  • sagardsagard Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭

<< <i>... I had a cat that I saw fight a copperhead... >>

Anyone else wonder who to cheer for in this one?
  • ^^
    Man it was tough to watch. They were under a hedge in my backyard and although my cat is quite a b@st@rd himself(He'd bitten me before and drew blood). My cat actually killed the copperhead, he took a couple of bites in the face and we had to get him antivenom at the vets but he dragged that copperhead out pretty triumphantly.
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff
  • joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    I had a cat rip the head off a squirrel once....that was pretty grusome as backyard pet killings go.

<< <i>I had a cat rip the head off a squirrel once....that was pretty grusome as backyard pet killings go. >>

http://forums.collectors.com/messageview.cfm?catid=9&threadid=487806&
    ·p_A·
  • A761506A761506 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭
    What lovely stories everyone has...

So, let's summarize the comments here:

It's always good to keep a .45 handy in case you're camping in the middle of a swamp in some podunk area in the south, so when you wake up at 5 AM and there's a snake waiting to say goodmorning as you open your tent, you can blast it into smitherines, then throw it on the fire and make breakfast.

However, if it's not poised to attack or if it will only require a tiny dose of anti-venom if it bites, or it looks like a friendly snake - as so many of them do, just go ahead, pick it up with your hand or smack it around with a stick, heck, feed it some livestock, while you and your infant relatives play with it. And if you encounter spiders that cause mild leprecy after they bite, shoot them too.

And if you don't have your .45 on you, grab the nearest shovel, garden hoe, lawnmower, machete... or get a determined cat with a pissed off temperment to do the job.

(This is all a joke, in case that is not completely obvious - no intent to ridicule anyone in particular)

<< <i>However, if it's not poised to attack or if it will only require a tiny dose of anti-venom if it bites, or it looks like a friendly snake - as so many of them do, just go ahead, pick it up with your hand or smack it around with a stick, heck, feed it some livestock, while you and your infant relatives play with it. And if you encounter spiders that cause mild leprecy after they bite, shoot them too.

And if you don't have your .45 on you, grab the nearest shovel, garden hoe, lawnmower, machete... or get a determined cat with a pissed off temperment to do the job.

(This is all a joke, in case that is not completely obvious - no intent to ridicule anyone in particular) >>

no, i'd say kill the snake even if it looks friendly.. and yes, i'd also say it's best to keep a .45 around, not necessarily for snakes, but just for practical purposes.. image

it's obvious your post was a joke, not meant to ridicule anyone in particular.. but was it meant to ridicule us all as a whole?

PS: it's spelled "leprosy" -- thats just a friendly correction in case thats not completely obvious.. image
    ·p_A·
    I'd like to go on the record as saying that I've never killed a snake- or any other animal, save perhaps a couple arthropods-- for the sheer hell of it. I killed two copperheads-- one as a Cub Scout at the Jamboree when it crawled out of my buddy's ruck sack and I whacked him with a pick axe handle (more out of blind panic then any steely determination to protect my friend), and the other in the Huzzah in Missouri when it was sneaking around our camp in the early evening hours. But I am NOT one of these guys who likes to get hopped up on PCP and roam the countryside looking for fauna to mutilate.

<< <i>But I am NOT one of these guys who likes to get hopped up on PCP and roam the countryside looking for fauna to mutilate. >>

dude you should try it sometime.. it can be fun..
    ·p_A·

<< <i>

<< <i>But I am NOT one of these guys who likes to get hopped up on PCP and roam the countryside looking for fauna to mutilate. >>

dude you should try it sometime.. it can be fun.. >>

-- Yogi Berra

• kuhlmannkuhlmann Posts: 3,326 ✭✭
    sorry guys looks like i was lied to!!

link to part truth
  • bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    PA....I am going to get you a hog nosed snake. You will love it. I agree with you on cotton mouths. I have had some encounters. Harder to deal with than rattle snakes, copper heads or corals

Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • I guess I won't bother with my garter snack story....up here in Vancouver, they are quite rare....

And don't we all hate snakes because a snake introduced Eve to the apple?
    The first person in the PSA universe to complete the 1969 OPC
    Hockey set! Always looking to buy, trade or upgrade 1966 Topps to 1969 OPC.

<< <i>I guess I won't bother with my garter snack story....up here in Vancouver, they are quite rare....

And don't we all hate snakes because a snake introduced Eve to the apple? >>

I would wager to say a garter snack is rare pretty much everywhere.
    -- Yogi Berra

• LOL at my own typo!!!!

The first person in the PSA universe to complete the 1969 OPC
    Hockey set! Always looking to buy, trade or upgrade 1966 Topps to 1969 OPC.