Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

new 53-p jeff 5c in 65fs in my set - SCREWED!

just got some crossovers from anacs to pcgs. the 53-p was an anacs-66 5 steps and i listed it as a minimum of 65fs. it crossed and i'm happy,happy, happy. it's a pop 6/0. sorry, no pics.

i got some nice upgrades, and i added them to my registry set, and it looks like everyone else is upgrading too.

it's - larrynj's fs 5c's - #22 in the 38-64 fs basic set if anyone wants to look. sorry, no linky either.

while i'm talking registry sets - there's a couple of guys above me with less than 20% fs in their sets, slightly more complete than mine. nothing personal to the owners, but should " % complete " make that much of a difference in a set like this?

edit - well. the submission arrived from pcgs, the 53-p was still in its' anacs holder, 66 5s. returned after a call to customer service, who advised it was an error and should have been reholdered to pcgs fs. then i see my registry set has changed, and the 53-p is listed only as ms-65, no fs designation.
told that it went for verification, and no way are they going to holder it as a fs coin! it's coming back to me again in the original anacs holder.
no fighting city hall.

Comments

• Options
    WOW that is great. I bet it is a nice 65 at that. You should try for a regrade, often PCGS is hard on crosses, becasue they can't crack the coin until after they assign the grade, but if you do a regrade then they crack it and grade it raw.
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Heres a link larrynj's fs 5c's

As for the ranking the rated values have a lot to do with that.
    He may have the higher rated dates.

Jefferson Nickels Basic Set - Circulation Strikes (1938-1964) Coin Weight FS Bonus Coin Weight FS Bonus
    1938 2 2 1949-S 2 2
    1938-D 3 2 1950 3 2
    1938-S 3 2 1950-D 3 2
    1939 2 2 1951 3 2
    1939-D 5 3 1951-D 2 2
    1939-S 4 2 1951-S 3 2
    1940 2 2 1952 3 3
    1940-D 2 2 1952-D 2 2
    1940-S 2 2 1952-S 2 2
    1941 2 2 1953 3 3
    1941-D 2 2 1953-D 2 2
    1941-S 3 2 1953-S 3 4
    1942 Type 1 2 2 1954 4 3
    1942-D 3 2 1954-D 2 2
    1942-P Type 2 3 2 1954-S 2 4
    1942-S 3 2 1955 2 2
    1943-P 2 2 1955-D 1 3
    1943-D 1 2 1956 1 2
    1943-S 2 2 1956-D 1 3
    1944-P 2 2 1957 1 2
    1944-D 2 2 1957-D 1 2
    1944-S 2 2 1958 2 2
    1945-P 2 2 1958-D 1 2
    1945-D 2 2 1959 1 2
    1945-S 2 2 1959-D 1 2
    1946 2 2 1960 1 3
    1946-D 2 2 1960-D 1 5
    1946-S 2 2 1961 1 3
    1947 2 2 1961-D 1 5
    1947-D 2 2 1962 1 2
    1947-S 2 2 1962-D 1 2
    1948 2 2 1963 1 2
    1948-D 2 2 1963-D 1 2
    1948-S 2 2 1964 1 2
    1949 2 3 1964-D 1 2
    1949-D 2 2 - - -
  • Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,354 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>just got some crossovers from anacs to pcgs. the 53-p was an anacs-66 5 steps and i listed it as a minimum of 65fs. it crossed and i'm happy,happy, happy. it's a pop 6/0. sorry, no pics.

i got some nice upgrades, and i add them to my registry set, and it looks like everyone else is upgrading too.

it's - larrynj's fs 5c's - #22 in the 38-64 fs basic set if anyone wants to look. sorry, no linky either.

while i'm talking registry sets - there's a guy above me with less than 20% fs in his set, slightly more complete than mine. nothing personal to the owner, but should " % complete " make that much of a difference in a set like this? >>

Congrats to you Larry! Technically with steps complete, you're in the top 10. And with 30 plus years into your collection, you most likely have one of the top 5 collections in the country that I'd like to see. If in fact your selections over the years have landed you some very strong coins in respect to their strikes, grade and eye appeal. I have many of the RTC catalogs where you received some of your coins. Coins from the Bill Fivas and Bob Jerich and Jay Ess collections have proven to be great additions to your set. The #10 registry set; Bolivar Shagnasty's Jazzy Jeffs, from the pictures he has up, I can see that this guy loves fully struck nickels as well. And a couple of these collections have additions from Al Craven who also has a set in the registries. What kind of collection does that guy have? It must be a great assembly of some of the finest fully struck coins out there. I've seen Frank Corso's collection and it was awesome! Hopefully, I'll get a chance to see Ray Overby's collection. These guys have 20 to 30 years into their collections as well! These are just a few collections that I've mentioned that buyers need to watch. Congrats to them all!

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    if only i didn't settle for some full step pcs. with some nicks in the steps, i'd have a nearly complete set today. we didn't have a tpg dictating what constitutes a fs coin at the time. i still managed to accumulate plenty of coins that i've been sending in to pcgs lately, both raw and anacs slabs. i'll probably be looking to trade my duplicates off for the pieces i need in the registry sets, whenever i can devote the time to it.

another that crossed was a 58-p in 65fs. this issue is one of the worst, dark, banged-up planchets, poor strikes. this one was one of 3 submitted, the other 2 didn't make it.

thanks for the comments, guys.
  • Options
    stephunterstephunter Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭
    Congrats. Tough coin, harder that most realize.
  • Options
    Great Coin and year Larry. Thanks also for the list you sent to me. As soon as I resolve 1997 ms69fs Jefferson as real or not, I will go over the list with you.
    Mike in Houston
    Kid's college fund
    Jefferson Lover & Full Step Treasure Hunter
  • Options
    mike, good score on the 66fs 90-d you just made. do you have another one? image
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice set Larry. I personaly don't see the big deal in full step or full bands or full anything. I have some killer Mercs where the bands are almost there, but not, saving me a bunch or money and the coins look as good or better as there full band counterpart.

I would much, much,much, much rather have a MS67 than a MS65FB!!!!

JMHO, Jon
  • Options

<< <i>I would much, much,much, much rather have a MS67 than a MS65FB!!!!

JMHO, Jon >>

And in the long run, that 67 coin will be your better buy! It's arguements like this that's quickly turning the tide against all these attributions. Yesterday's pop top hype is already fading fast to coins of ultimate quality in respect to every aspect of the coin. The completeness of strike, how markfree the focal areas are and the overall eye appeal all play into the equation of a high quality coin. Look at how the Buffalo nickels are collected, they don't have an attribution! As true coin collectors stake their claims to having better coins than what's been certified, the times will continue to change in this numismatic hobby of ours.

Leo

• Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Larry, Congratulations! That's a home run in any Jeff collector's book. I've been watching your set grow
    in the last year. You've really added a bunch of nice Jeffersons. Keep up the good work! image
  • Options
    shaggy,

i'm afraid i can't compete with the likes of your set and a dozen others out there. i'll have to settle for attempting to complete my set(s) while admiring the incredible jeff fs sets in progress.
  • Options
    ttt for bad news from pcgs.
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    << I would much, much,much, much rather have a MS67 than a MS65FB!!!!>>

Me too! Alas, PCGS hasn't graded a 1953-P Jeff in MS67 yet. MS66 is the highest (pop. 16).
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    told that it went for verification, and no way are they going to holder it as a fs coin!

First off, image Secondly, they took a hit recently when they ate their mistake in certifying the infamous 1960-D FS. It also makes me wonder if their professional opinion and grade guarantee has been tainted. One way to get the FS designation is if there were a way to eliminate the grade guarantee on these added attributes. It's either FS or not, regardless whether the coin is fully struck! (Yeah right!)

Let's try this again.
    Jefferson nickels are collected according to their fullness of strike, high grade condition and overall eye appeal! The steps, bands, bell lines, heads, talons, split tails, rounded horns.........are there any others?.......are the last detailed areas of a full design to warrant a full strike designation. If they are there, that's fine! More importantly, they help complete the fullness of the coin's intended design. All attributes are designations that are designated to signify that the coin graded has been certified to be fully struck.

Leo

• Options
    Larry, I'm sorry to hear about your bad news. Isn't pcgs just a horror to deal with? Anyway, best of luck on all your future submissions.
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Let's try this again.
    Jefferson nickels are collected according to their fullness of strike, high grade condition and overall eye appeal!"

But not necessarily in that order... at least not by all collectors. image
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    regardless of strike,eye appeal, die state, etc., in this case the plastic w/ designation is worth thousands. pcgs = $6,000. anacs + $1-2k?. they offered to cross it to a 65 w/o the fs designation, lmao. that would make it a $40. coin maybe. i'm glad i caught it and called before they cracked it out of the anacs slab. they did offer 2 free submissions "for the confusion" and postage incurred. thanks a lot!

actually the steps are all there, and it's probably a pcgs-66 as well, strike is medium, nice color. i'll post a pic when it gets back if i can figure out how.

i'm sure the 60-d debacle had a lot to do with their decision to negate the original decision to slab it at 65fs.
  • Options
    Larry,
    Turns out the 1997P ms69fs is a business strike. And the ms68fs too. There goes my money! Luckily it does replentish. Shaggy is wanting my 45 DDO ms65, and I see a few in your list to me that I need. So when money is right, we can play let's make a deal.
    You asked about the 1990D ms66fs grade that I made! One of 2 great finds for me! I have started building a new batch of raw Jeffs, but no 1990 yet. The treasury hunt is On. I'll know your registry now, along with 2 other Jefferson lovers like you and I. I will alway bounce new finds off you.
    I hated your story about the 53. I had submitted a 53 also. I sent it in as it was a nice rainbow toned. I knew it was not a FS. It came back as a ms64. It's hard to get a top grade when the coin has rainbowed. It's got to be a great strike as the B.U. luster is not there to help since it is toned.
    I plan on building a rainbow set of Jeffersons some day, and I have already at least started!
    Mike in Houston
    Jefferson Lover & Full Step Treasure Hunter
  • Options
    cool, mike. let me know when you're ready. i'm sure i have a number of pcgs toners too. next trip to the bank, i'll look for some.