Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

One thing I learned when "submitting"to PSA... no pun intended

Hi All - I have learned the hard way as all of us have that "submitting" (must we be on our proverbial "knees" when we submit our cherished cardboard gods) cards to PSA can be a nerve wracking experience. One thing I do that helps alot before I send the cards off is to write down my own "conservative" grade of each card on the "customer copy" submission form. This helps tremendously as I assign my own "conservative" grade for each card and keeps me from throwing my computer monitor out the window when I get my grades from the PSA site. It also helps me to know that I don't think PSA is ripping me off by giving me lousy grades because I now have something to compare PSA grades to ....... my own "conservative" grades. Since I have been doing this on my last 2 submissions, I have realized that overall PSA has been pretty fair (with some pleasant suprises) in their grading. There is no way you guys (certainly myself included) can remember exactly what a card looks like and what grade it should get after PSA has had the card awhile.... this should help some of you out there and I hope you benefit by it. Any thoughts and suggestions welcomed. chaz

Comments

• Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭
    keepin it real, homie.
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    chaz43chaz43 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭
    tryin'. chaz
  • Options
    SDavidSDavid Posts: 1,584 ✭✭
    I get the cards back, briefly examine each card, and then check their grades. A lot less surprises that way, though there are always some head scratchers - in both directions. For me, it's also more fun that way...kinda like opening presents on Christmas morning.
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    Thats what I did with my last sub. I pre-graded everything a little TOO conservativly, (16 out of the 50 graded HIGHER than I expected), so I'm gonna try not to let this sub lull me into a false sence of invulnerability when it comes to pregrading.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
    Stay away from submitting the sheet cuts and you'll do OK.

Peace,
    boo
  • Options
    Carew29Carew29 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭

Actually i have a list of what i expect to get on each card. And i know ecaxctly what each card looks like as they are all 9's ans 10's when i send them inimage
  • Options

<< <i>Stay away from submitting the sheet cuts and you'll do OK.

Peace,
    boo >>

You mean the "hand cuts". chaz
  • Options

<< <i>Actually i have a list of what i expect to get on each card. And i know ecaxctly what each card looks like as they are all 9's ans 10's when i send them inimage >>

More power to you bro. chaz
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    all my cards get undergraded, even the 10'simageimage
    realistically, 99.9999999999999999999999999% come back the way i expect them to, the rest go to a dark place
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,364 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chaz

I've only submitted 12 cards in the past 2 yrs. and some T3s. Ya pick what you think are the best and send them off.

If they don't grade the way you thought - it's hard not to take it personally.

I hear ya - good luck!
    mike
    Mike
  • Options

<< <i>Chaz

I've only submitted 12 cards in the past 2 yrs. and some T3s. Ya pick what you think are the best and send them off.

If they don't grade the way you thought - it's hard not to take it personally.

I hear ya - good luck!
    mike >>

Many times I sent cards in that I thought were going to get a better grade and was very disappointed when I did not get the higher grades. Pregrading helps alot . Good luck to you too Mike. chaz
  • Options
    Carew29Carew29 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭

And i always mark the outside of my box 4SC!!image
  • Options
    I always get what I expect unless they're '62 or '71 Topps BB. image
    Collecting Vintage Baseball.
    My ebay listings
  • Options

<< <i>I always get what I expect unless they're '62 or '71 Topps BB. image >>

I don't go near those or the 53's and 63's. Chipping at bottom. chaz