Home Sports Talk
Options

Delgado smacks # 400 a grand slam!

anyone else think he rookie card might be undervalued? he will likely end up way over 500 homers.

Comments

• Options
    For a long time it was overvalued and then dropped dramatically. With the lineup he's in, if he stays with the Mets I can definetly see Delgado getting a lot more attention for the hobby for the next few seasons. To me, it's undervalued.
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils
    1950s-1960s Topps NY Giants Team cards

Looking for Topps rookies as well.

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff
  • Options
    What's wrong with Wright? ("pun" not intended)
    Wise men learn more from fools than fools learn from the wise.

• Options
    kuhlmannkuhlmann Posts: 3,326 ✭✭
    What's wrong with Wright? ("pun" not intended)

Thats easy to answer....he has tucker or ledee batting behind him no protection.. since floyd been gone.. Now the mets got shawn green you should see wright start picking it up again. always helps having someone good batting behind you.

reason why wright will be moved up next year!
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    That is a very quiet 400. Glad he's finally in a market that will recognize his talent.
    On another note, looks like the Mets got Shawn Green today. A rematch of the '88 NLCS in the works?

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mets Maine man is getting blitzed tonight. Puljois is also showing why he will most likely win the NL MVP (and I'm a Mets fan).

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    What a shot by Beltran! It's like he answered Puljos' challenge with that rocket shot of Izzy! The MVP looks to be a 2-horse race now between Beltran & Puljos. It'd be nice to see a Mets player win it. I'm not sure offhand, but I don't think any Mets player has ever won the MVP before.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Does Shawn Green have much left in his bat? He used to be terrific but he's really tailed off these past few years. Big contract too. I just hope that he returns to his old self.
    Wise men learn more from fools than fools learn from the wise.

• Options
    Personally, I'd prefer to see Milledge & Chavez in the OF, not Green, but we'll see.

• Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    If we are going to talk about this game, lets not fail to mention Pujol's TWO HR's, the second being a Grand Slam also! The man is a monster!
    I will add that it was a great comeback and win by the Mets. It will be interesting to see what Green can do for them. He's a great pickup..though the Mets need pitching a lot more!
  • Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since starting to keep up with the Cardinals as a 7 year old boy in 1982, I don't think I have ever bee that mad after a game before last night.

Izzy has got to go or at least moved to a setup role.

Shane

• Options
    You know, not to take anything away From Delgado, but I think we are past the time when 500 HRs = automatic Hall of Fame. Power numbers have jumped so much over the last 10-15 years, for a varity of reasons, I just don't think we can put everyone who smacks 500 in anymore. Think about it, Fred McGriff, good player, nice guy, liked him a lot, but Hall of Famer? He ended just 7 homers shy of the magic 500 number...what if he went over? Does 7 homeruns mean the difference between Hall of Fame or not? I vote no...Fred McGriff was NOT a HOF player. No disrespect to Carlos & whoever else passes 500, but the magic of that number is lost.

Thoughts?
  • Options
    Here are my thoughts. I think that 500 homeruns is just as big of an accomplishment as it was years ago. The simple fact is that the more time flies by, the more players will have 500 homeruns. The more time goes by, the more players go into the Hall of Fame. Just think how many more there will be in 100 years.

Shane

• Options

<< <i>Here are my thoughts. I think that 500 homeruns is just as big of an accomplishment as it was years ago. The simple fact is that the more time flies by, the more players will have 500 homeruns. The more time goes by, the more players go into the Hall of Fame. Just think how many more there will be in 100 years. >>

This is true, however I can't shake the feeling it's becoming more and more common, thus lessening the perstige. For example, did you know 25% off all 500 HR club members have joined within the last 6 years? (McGwire, Bonds, Raffy, Jr, Sosa) And it's looks like its about to become a bit more crowded:

Frank Thomas 474
    Manny Ramírez 469
    Jim Thome 466
    Alex Rodriguez 455
    Gary Sheffield 453 -
    Jeff Bagwell† 449
    Mike Piazza 415
    Carlos Delgado 400

I believe all these guys will reach it, with the exception of Bagwell (though I hope he recovers)
  • Options

<< <i>anyone else think he rookie card might be undervalued? he will likely end up way over 500 homers. >>

Honestly, I think Delgado's 1992 Bowman rookie is the most underpriced modern card on the planet. You can buy PSA 9s for $10. It's unbelievable. $10 for a Delgado rookie. People were forking out 10 times that for Chris Shelton rookies in April. I'm a Jays fan, so I have seen Delgado play live dozens of times. The thing people don't know about him is that he is more than HRs. His OBP is close to .400 every year and he is one of the few guys who is a real presence in the lineup. I really don't think Beltran would be having the year he is having without Delgado in the lineup. When Delgado left Toronto, Vernon Wells became a .260 hitter in 2005.

As for Green, his best friend in baseball is Carlos Delgado. Don't underestimate that. Truthfully, with the addition of Green and a healthy Pedro I think the Mets have as good a shot at winning the World Series anyone. I think it's going to be another subway series.
  • Options
    kuhlmannkuhlmann Posts: 3,326 ✭✭
    I dont see piazza or bags making 500. maybe sheff misses also.
  • Options
    Wow, if this series between the Mets and the Cards is a preview of the NLCS, the Mets won't even need Pedro till the World Series. Reyes just connected again. This Mets lineup is stacked and when it's going good they look unstoppable.

• Options
    I dont see piazza or bags making 500

I agree with that, unless Piazza sticks around as a DH in the American League for a few years, though by then his power and production abilities will not make him an appealing option at DH for most clubs. As a catcher, though, he's still as productive as ever, even this season when you compare him to other catchers in the league.

• Options
    500 HOME RUNS?

Frank Thomas 474 - YES
    Manny Ramírez 469 - YES
    Jim Thome 466 - YES
    Alex Rodriguez 455 - YES
    Gary Sheffield 453 - NO
    Jeff Bagwell† 449 - NO
    Mike Piazza 415 - NO
    Carlos Delgado 400 - YES

On the Mets/Cards series - the Cardinals pitching is awful. Chris Carpenter is the only good pitcher in the rotation. Marquis is a warrior, but he could either throw a 1 hit shutout or give up 12 runs in 2 innings. And it's usually one of the two. No in between for Marquis. Mulder is done. Suppan doesn't scare anybody. Weaver doesn't either. Izzy - don't get me started. If the pitching was as good as the last two years, the Cardinals would probably have as good or better record than the Mets. I just don't see the Cardinals getting past the Mets - and that's IF they make the playoffs.

Pujols is the MVP, though.

Shane

• Options
    Pujols is the MVP, though.

Not if the Reds win the Central and Beltran keeps smashing clutch homers, he's not!