Home Metal Detecting
Options

What is sidewalk demo?

I find quite a few folks speaking of sidwalk demo. What does that mean? As I am new to the forum, I'm picking up the lingo little by little, but if someone would care to post the most common buzz words used, that would be great.
Gary Norris image
imageimageimage

Comments

• Options
    Hi Gary!

Welcome aboard!

A sidewalk demo is when the city rips up the old cracked sidewalks to replace them. When they are ripped up the naked dirt is exposed, which is good for us TH'ers. (Treasure Hunters) The other plus is that there is very little modern trash (pulltabs and such) since these areas have been covered.

John
    Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • Options
    Ah! Demo as in demolish. Gotcha. I can see how this would be to one's advantage.
    Thanks, John
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Exactly. Even as a veteran of detecting such sites, the "demo" buzzword tripped me up the first few times I heard it used online.

In my area, we usually make the good finds on bulldozed sites, but they're not technically demolition sites but construction sites. Around here, particularly after the Civil War, a lot of the old houses disappeared and were reclaimed by second-growth forest. So in our case, the demolition on those "demo" sites occurred a century or more ago, sometimes gradually, and Mother Nature swallowed up the evidence until the land was cleared again in modern times.

If you see any sidewalks (or streets) that are being taken up in an old neighborhood, pounce on 'em! That limited window of opportunity is often a golden chance to detect in dirt that has been covered up for generations.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    There is a sidewalk demo going on right now in town, but unfortunately the ground underneath the concrete is old fill gravel. Maybe some old dirt will pop up soon.
  • Options
    StrikeOutXXXStrikeOutXXX Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really like driveway demo too image

My area is mostly 1800's homes and many still have gravel driveways. When the homeowner finally decides to blacktop their driveway - the company will typically come out and excavate the driveway down 6-8" or so and roll the dirt with a steamroller. They then typically leave it overnight before coming back to put down the blacktop. That is a great time to detect the leftover driveway (As well as the area they dump the removed material).

A detecting buddy has a brother that runs a local company and he always calls him to let him know where he's working. About the time the crew is leaving he meets his brother and gets introduced to the home owner who 99% of the time allows him to detect.

I don't have any connections like that, but I've done a few neighbors driveways and houses I see when I'm driving around, and percentage wise, have had better luck than regular yards.
    ------------------------------------------------------------

"You Suck Award" - February, 2015

Discoverer of 1919 Mercury Dime DDO - FS-101
  • Options
    don't let the gravel fool you. i've made plenty of good finds in scrapes where gravel lay. sometimes the gravel is just a thin layer. i dug a very nice SL quarter in a gravel lined sidewalk demo, back in 2003.