Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Started a new set for my daughter -- wish me luck (1900 Proof Set)

1900 Proof Set w/Gold

First coin -- nice coin/terrible (scuffed up) holder -- keep me in mind if you run across anything image

Comments

• Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275

<< <i>keep me in mind >>

Will do...

and good luck with the set. Looks like it will be a lot of fun and you'll get some beautiful coins. image
  • Options
    PQpeacePQpeace Posts: 4,799 ✭✭✭
    Nice start,
    lots of cool colored proof coins out there to choose from image
    Larry
    Larry Shapiro Rare Coins - LSRC
    POB 854
    Temecula CA 92593
    310-541-7222 office
    310-710-2869 cell
    www.LSRarecoins.com
    Larry@LSRarecoins.com

PCGS Las Vegas June 24-26
    Baltimore July 14-17
    Chicago August 11-15
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,780 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow! You want to do the gold proof coins too? That will be a lifetime project!

At first I thought you were trying for the 1990 no S proof set! LOL.

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    USCGCraigUSCGCraig Posts: 1,005 ✭✭
    Adding the gold is going to be a challenge. I think I might try a Mint State set of 1898 including gold for my daughter. I have a date set in F-VF already.
    Coast Guard Craig

Looking for Denmark 1874 20-Kroner. Please offer.
  • Options
    mercurydimeguymercurydimeguy Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Wow! You want to do the gold proof coins too? That will be a lifetime project!
    At first I thought you were trying for the 1990 no S proof set! LOL. >>

My daughter just turned 6 this past May. My goal was to complete the set and give it to her for her 16th birthday. I'm going to see if I can do it in 10 years. I think the Gold is where it will be tough -- to find nice examples, and having the $$ to pull the trigger when opportunities arise -- but I've given myself a 10 year window in which I'd like to get it done.

What makes this more challenging is that I will really be looking for higher grade original coins, with eye appeal.

• Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I sold an original 1900 proof set (silver and minor coins) last year.
    NGC65-66. Original wrappers & envelope included plus a mint price guide. It's still out there somewhere and a nice start. Here's a case for sure where a nicely selected orig proof set will be worth more than the individual coins. Put togther sets carry no premium.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options

<< <i> My goal was to complete the set and give it to her for her 16th birthday. >>

Your daughter will think you are nuts!! Don't you know what a 16 year old teenaged girl is like???? image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i> My goal was to complete the set and give it to her for her 16th birthday. >>

Your daughter will think you are nuts!! Don't you know what a 16 year old teenaged girl is like???? image >>

Luckily, she is already a collector and a member of the ANA image

She just loves coins...her favorites are buffalo nickels (we almost have a complete book now), and coins with "walking ladies", as she calls them (St's, Walkers, ASE, etc.). She also likes coins with animals (horses, wolves, and rabbits, preferrably), so we collect some non-US coins as well.

Oh well, though, you are probably right. By the time she turns 16 she will probably care less (or not at all) about coins image

• Options
    elwoodelwood Posts: 2,414
    PM sent
    Please visit my website prehistoricamerica.com www.visitiowa.org/pinecreekcabins
  • Options
    MERCURYDIMEGUY:

she will be your darling until she is 12, then your monster until she is 29 years opf age. Then at 30 when she becomes your darling again, then you can present the proof set to her!!

• Options

I had PCGS photo the coin out of the holder. The streaks/scratches (on the holder) definitely disappear, but somehow they weren't able to pick up the frostiness in the devices and the colors are a bit subdued. Overall I think the picture is better than mine, but I think mine portrays the vibrancy of the colors a bit better. Thoughts?

• Options
    Great picture. I actually think the PCGS one looks great. I will say that without seeing the coin in hand I am not sure what it really looks like. But I think your does a much better job with the cameo and theirs is better with the color, IMO.

Great coin though!

Zach
  • Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    Good luck! Can't wait to see how your set progresses -- my sense from trying to put together a 1905 set (sans gold) is that the half dollar will be the most difficult...Mike
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options
    I like your picture better. The PCGS one makes such a nice coin look like a cartoon. Good luck with the set!
  • Options
    Here's my second addition....got this one about 6 weeks ago, but just got around to having it photographed.

• Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    Awesome Proof Morgan. I love that cameo.

Looks like a great set so far.
  • Options
    SandhawkSandhawk Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭

Here is a PF65RB Indian Cent

and a PF63Cam Barber from the Benson Collection

imageimage