Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Mastro results - PSA, SGC, GAI graded cards

I usually track the Mastro results. Here are some results of comparable cards graded by different companies.

All prices include buyers premium

48 Bowman Musial RC PSA 9 $7207
48 Bowman Musial RC SGC 9 $8923

55 Topps Ted Williams GAI 8 $1350
55 Topps Ted Williams PSA 9 $14373
55 Topps Ted Williams PSA 8 $2178
55 Topps Ted Williams SGC 8.5 $5295

61 Fleer Wilt Chamberlain PSA 10 $20 292
61 Fleer Wilt Chamberlain GAI 9.5 $4575

15 Cracker Jack Walter Johnson PSA 8 $11 878
15 Cracker Jack Walter Johnson SGC 8 $11 878

39 Playball Ted Williams GAI 9 $8722
39 Playball Ted Williams PSA 8 $4813

41 Playball Joe Dimaggio PSA 8 $9816
41 Playball Joe Dimaggio SGC 8 $10 555
41 Playball Joe Dimaggio PSA 9 $65 493

52 Bowman Mickey Mantle PSA 8 $4813
52 Bowman Mickey Mantle GAI 9 $6092

54 Topps Hank Aaron RC SGC 8.5 $6407
54 Topps Hank Aaron RC PSA 9 $28 970

55 Topps Sandy Koufax RC PSA 9 $17 986
55 Topps Sandy Koufax RC SGC 8.5 $3976
55 Topps Sandy Koufax RC PSA 8 $2397

63 Fleer Roberto Clemente PSA 9 $1206
63 Fleer Roberto Clemente SGC 9 $1206

63 Topps Willie Mays GAI 9 $995
63 Topps Willie Mays PSA 9 $1980

66 Topps Willie Mays PSA 8 $823
66 Topps Willie Mays SGC 8.5 $1227

The next results are how well each company did relative to SMR prices (I only included cards that were in the SMR and lots that could be factored). I always have a difficult time factoring in what multiplier to use for the half grades.

GAI 19 lots 4 at SMR or better 21%
SGC 32 lots 21 at SMR or better 66%
Not in SMR but still SGC e93 set 30 lots 30 would be at SMR or better 100%
PSA 279 lots 221 lots at SMR or better 79%

Although many people are highly critical of the SMR it was a fairly accurate price marker for many cards. The PSA cards that did the poorest were the cards at the last half of NUMEROLOGY 2 lots 1951 to 2005 which were mostly 1960 star cards in high grades. Very few GAI cards met SMR value and the GAI comparable cards sold for a fraction of the other companies.

Comments

• Options
    Anyone here have the pulse of GAI? Are they going to be able to survive after PSA truly enters the pack grading market?
  • Options
    DaBigHurtDaBigHurt Posts: 1,066 ✭✭

<< <i>Anyone here have the pulse of GAI? Are they going to be able to survive after PSA truly enters the pack grading market? >>

I heard it from very reliable sources that GAI is on the verge of going under. Yup. You heard me right. If I were crazy enough to ever buy GAI cards, I would be DUMPING them immediately or at the very least, cross them over to PSA. Folks, you do not want to be left holding the bag when GAI goes belly up. It won't be pretty. Trust me. Stick with the TRAINED and CERTIFIED professionals at PSA.

When PSA crushes GAI in the pack grading market, they'll be pushed into a desperate situation where they might start "supplementing" their revenue by taking brown paper bags filled with dead presidents, if you know what I mean. image

GO MARLINS! Home of the best fans in baseball!!
  • Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭
    First let me say I am not a big fan of the half grade. The results look to me like the favor the half grade. I am sorry but without actually
    holding , say the 55 Williams PSA 8 and SGC 92 in hand , I can't see paying a 3000 premium for a 1/2 grade. I just think that the centering of a card should always be a qualifier , but thats my opinion. If you truely have a card that is mint or nm mt but oc I always think it should be labeled as such and not for the consumer to figure out, after all thats what we pay for an opinion and not a "well its a 92 because of the centering "
    On another note it looks like SGC cards are finally getting some respect and thats good for everyone!
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,364 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some of those prices were Mastronomical!

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    Funny how GAI is on the verge of going under when they just merged with another company. LOL.
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • Options

<< <i>Funny how GAI is on the verge of going under when they just merged with another company. LOL. >>

A partnership that very well may be short term is not a merger!
  • Options
    aro13aro13 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭
    jackstraw - I would guess that in many cases the half-grade entices dealers and collectors to buy the card with hopes of bumping it to the next half-grade. If somebody bought every SGC 8.5 in the Mastro auction and had 1 or 2 bump to an SGC or PSA 9 they would have done very well. To me the possible bump factor should make the card more valuable.

FJ- No idea on the viability of GAI in the future but the prices realized are somewhat alarming. The comparable GAI cards sold for a fraction of the SGC or PSA cards.
  • Options
    I have no problems in trusting GAI grading. I'm just glad I never took anything top dollar and had it slabbed by GAI. I think they peaked about a year ago when they were able to get some high end clients to switch for a while, but the prices are nowhere close to where they need to be to continue as a legitamte contender to be a "top" company.
    As stated earlier, with PSA doing the pack grading, GAI will certainly take another strong hit, and the comic grading is just going to amount as a bandaid.
    It sure is a shame that they never took off. Kinda like what SCD was expecting when they entered the card grading field with a ton of Larry Fritschs stuff. SCD left quietly, but GAI is going to go down s l o w.
    I still like the idea that they will holder anything, even though sometimes the card has 5 inches to float around inside their mega holders.........
  • Options

<< <i>

I heard it from very reliable sources that GAI is on the verge of going under. Yup. You heard me right. If I were crazy enough to ever buy GAI cards, I would be DUMPING them immediately or at the very least, cross them over to PSA. Folks, you do not want to be left holding the bag when GAI goes belly up. It won't be pretty. Trust me. Stick with the TRAINED and CERTIFIED professionals at PSA.

>>

your a joke! there table was mobbed @ the east coast national. reliable source???????? lol your a funny guy!
  • Options
    DBH,

go home and eat your country's babies.
  • Options
    RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    DBH has a bag.
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items