Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

So, did anyone see JT STanton at the ANA show?

2»

Comments

• Options
    FletcherFletcher Posts: 3,294

• Options
    PonyExpress8PonyExpress8 Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭
    Just two thoughts.

First, Stanton went through a lot of difficult times. Yet he was at Denver, the book is finally out and it appears he is making ammends and trying to make things right. I think he is trying to do the right thing here and I am sure it's a pretty uncomfortable spot to be in yet he faced up to it and was there.

Second, maybe there is a lesson we can all learn here about pre-ordering. Things can happen in life we least expect and in these times of greater uncertainty maybe its best just to wait until a project is complete before committing funds for a purchase. While I had the opportunity to pre-order I wouldn't do it on something like this. Publications that include a lot of research and new information take time as it is. Waiting until the product is completed and available just seems to be a much better way to go than pre-ordering. OUr society seems so demanding of everything being instant and now. Patience is more a great virtue than ever.
    The End of the Line in the West.

Website-Americana Rare Coin Inc
  • Options
    FletcherFletcher Posts: 3,294

<< <i>Just two thoughts.

First, Stanton went through a lot of difficult times. Yet he was at Denver, the book is finally out and it appears he is making ammends and trying to make things right. I think he is trying to do the right thing here and I am sure it's a pretty uncomfortable spot to be in yet he faced up to it and was there.

Second, maybe there is a lesson we can all learn here about pre-ordering. Things can happen in life we least expect and in these times of greater uncertainty maybe its best just to wait until a project is complete before committing funds for a purchase. While I had the opportunity to pre-order I wouldn't do it on something like this. Publications that include a lot of research and new information take time as it is. Waiting until the product is completed and available just seems to be a much better way to go than pre-ordering. OUr society seems so demanding of everything being instant and now. Patience is more a great virtue than ever. >>

Nice thoughts ... I agree that you have to respect the guy for showing up and doing the right thing NOW, knowing full well the embarrassment and flack that he would have to endure for his past bad judgment.

• Options
    https://rn.ftc.gov/pls/dod/wsolcq$.startup?Z_ORG_CODE=PU01

Just file a complaint with the FTC -- violation of the "mail order rule."
  • Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    Has anyone with an issue regarding the book spoken to him directly?
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    Wow, it doesn't seem like the motive is/was to abscond with enough to retire in Tahiti. Does anyone know why there's such an issue in fulfilling these orders and how many orders actually haven't been filled???
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,422 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Wow, it doesn't seem like the motive is/was to abscond with enough to retire in Tahiti. Does anyone know why there's such an issue in fulfilling these orders and how many orders actually haven't been filled??? >>

It's probably in the neighborhood of four or five hundred.

Mr Stanton apparently had some severe health and other issues from which he is still recovering.

I think we all wish him the best but many are very disturbed about the lack of fullfillment or a refund.
    In his defence, he did offer all prepayers a refund a couple years back. Now I wish I'd taken it.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Wow, it doesn't seem like the motive is/was to abscond with enough to retire in Tahiti. Does anyone know why there's such an issue in fulfilling these orders and how many orders actually haven't been filled??? >>

It's probably in the neighborhood of four or five hundred.

Mr Stanton apparently had some severe health and other issues from which he is still recovering.

I think we all wish him the best but many are very disturbed about the lack of fullfillment or a refund.
    In his defence, he did offer all prepayers a refund a couple years back. Now I wish I'd taken it. >>

4-500.....and that's it? What health issues are you aware of?

And he's now attended the ANA .

Why not just give him a phone call and find out what's up?

PHONE 770-640-5055
    FAX 770-640-5125
    Web www.stantonbooks.com
    E-MAIL kylevick@mindspring.com
    ADDRESS 1570 Holcolm Bridge Rd., Suite 120
    Roswell, GA 30076

I mean, has anyone just called to ask? What was the reply?

• Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    I thought he didn't own Stanton books anymore?
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,587 ✭✭✭✭✭
    mrearlygold - rather than rehash it all here, I suggest you do a quick search in the past messages in this forum. Look for posts by me or 'pharmer' and you should easily be able to come up with the entire back-story.

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭

<< <i>mrearlygold - rather than rehash it all here, I suggest you do a quick search in the past messages in this forum. Look for posts by me or 'pharmer' and you should easily be able to come up with the entire back-story.

Sean Reynolds >>

sean is right, this crap is getting old anyway. and in answer to the question has anyone just asked him, indeed he was asked, over the course of 3 F%$#$*^@ years

main killer point is he continued to take money and make excuses when he knew he was not able to deliver. if im not mistaken Bill Fivaz had quite a few things to say about it himself.

my main beef is I dont give a flying f&^% what excuses he has, I want my money, or the book, which should be 3 books seeing hes had my money for over 3 years now.

plain and simple

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options

<< <i>First, Stanton went through a lot of difficult times. Yet he was at Denver, the book is finally out and it appears he is making ammends and trying to make things right. >>

where is he trying to make things right? or is taking money under false pretenses and making excuses "doing the right thing"? I am at the point i hope he enjoyed my money and he can keep his book as long as he shoves it so far up his a$$ that it can't be surgically removedimage

let me know when the class action lawsuit starts i want to add my name!
    steve

myCCset
  • Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,384 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Just two thoughts.

Second, maybe there is a lesson we can all learn here about pre-ordering. Things can happen in life we least expect and in these times of greater uncertainty maybe its best just to wait until a project is complete before committing funds for a purchase. While I had the opportunity to pre-order I wouldn't do it on something like this. Publications that include a lot of research and new information take time as it is. Waiting until the product is completed and available just seems to be a much better way to go than pre-ordering. OUr society seems so demanding of everything being instant and now. Patience is more a great virtue than ever. >>

"Trying to make things right" would have meant refunding these pre-orders, no questions asked. When these initially went on sale, he stated these were at the printer, practically off the press already, and would be shipped within 30 days. Even after he missed the first 30 day period, he kept making the same representations as to when the book would come out. In November 2005, he stated the book would be out by the FUN show (January 2006). In March 2006 he said April 2006. He had been in the publishing business for years. Did he just underestimate the time it would take to complete the book continually (by and for a total of 3 years) or did he LIE?

"Trying to make things right" would have included making darn sure the pre-orders would have gotten their books BEFORE the new publisher was selling them at ANA.

"Trying to make things right" would have included giving the pre-orders would have received a discount for the value of having their money tied up for up to 3 years and the inconvenience.

"Trying to make things right" would have included making an apology to the pre-orders.

"Trying to make things right" means having personal integrity. In my opinion, J. T. Stanton has none, and he's darn lucky he isn't in jail.

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options
    PonyExpress8PonyExpress8 Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭
    Certainly the pre-orders could have been handled much better, no question. But when someone suffers a serious, lingering illness I don't have a tendency to be the one to cast stones. It appears I am in the minority.

I just hope those of you filled which such anger and hate of the man don't ever find yourselves in the midst of a big project and suffer a serious lingering medical problem that causes unintentioned delays.

In perspective we are talking what $35 here per each pre-order, unless there were orders for more than one copy maybe if you are a dealer?

All of the things suggested as to a discount, getting first copies would be great. But maybe Whitman has the say here and it comes down to getting the book out or not?

I hope you all get your pre-order copies and a coupon or discount. But to hang someone under these circumstances over $35 just doesn't seem right somehow.

I have stuck my foot in the goo all I plan to in this thread.

The End of the Line in the West.

Website-Americana Rare Coin Inc

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file