Home Metal Detecting
Options

Found another Indian Head roll searching this week...

Picked up another $20 worth of pennies to search again this week and found another Indian head- no where near as nice as the 1883 I found in rolls last week. This was a beat up 1899 with the date and Indian head about the only thing to identify it clearly, reverse is about worn / wiped off. Got a total of 49 wheats while searching as well. The oldest being a 1912, followed by a 1914 (looks to have been in the ground- nice shape but alot of green- will have to buy some potatoes), 1917, 2 - 1918, 1918-D , 3 - 1919, 1920 and decent 1924 - that again looks to have come out of the ground. All the other early coins are quite well worn. The rest of coins ranged from a few in the 30's , alot in the 40's and just a few in the 50's.

Comments

• Options
    Ar you also checking for moderns like BU, errors or varieties?

Good pick up by the way.
  • Options
    kevinstangkevinstang Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭
    Yeah, I have been looking for wide Am's mostly. Found a 72 double die about a month ago (not the big $, but the one with the second largest amount of doubling). I save a few of the nicer older coins and some of the new ones too. Pulled out about 1/2 roll of nice BU 2006-D's today as well- someone must have went on a trip ( I am in upstate NY and those Denver coins usually take a while to get here).
  • Options
    i belive with the luck you are having you should buy 100.00 worth of pennies. i got 75.00 today and just found 21 wheats. what part of the country are you in. later greg
  • Options
    never mind i see upstate ny. i guess i need to read with my eyes open. later greg
  • Options
    Well I got another $10 worth today for the fun of it, only found about 1/2 dozen or so wheats (busy day haven't counted them), best was a decent 1923 - if only one year older image
  • Options
    milbrocomilbroco Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭
    Where are you guys picking these rolls up? At banks? I remember years ago getting then from banks looking for the 72 Double Die. Also, what is a wide AM?
    Thanks,
    Bob
    ebay seller name milbroco
    email bcmiller7@comcast.net
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,727 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Picked up another $20 worth of pennies to search again this week and found another Indian head- no where near as nice as the 1883 I found in rolls last week. This was a beat up 1899 with the date and Indian head about the only thing to identify it clearly, reverse is about worn / wiped off. Got a total of 49 wheats while searching as well. The oldest being a 1912, followed by a 1914 (looks to have been in the ground- nice shape but alot of green- will have to buy some potatoes), 1917, 2 - 1918, 1918-D , 3 - 1919, 1920 and decent 1924 - that again looks to have come out of the ground. All the other early coins are quite well worn. The rest of coins ranged from a few in the 30's , alot in the 40's and just a few in the 50's. >>

That seems amazing. But ! gotta believe it's a collector just putting some coins back in circulation for the "kids" and to help the hobby grow. If I was you, I'd put 'em back in circulation and let some kids find them and enjoy them.

I remember as a kid growing up in Connecticut in the early 60s, Indian Heads still circulated a bit. Perhaps one in every couple hundred pennies was an Indian Head. I'm guessing around the late 60s they stopped circulating and I hadn't gotten one in circulation since about that time. Again...why not spend 'em and allow some young kid to develop an interest in our great hobby of coin collecting.
  • Options
    >>Again...why not spend 'em and allow some young kid to develop an interest in our great hobby of coin collecting.
    <<

LOL___RIGHT!!!

Jerry

CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Options

<< <i>>>Again...why not spend 'em and allow some young kid to develop an interest in our great hobby of coin collecting.
    <STRONG><<

LOL___RIGHT!!!

</STRONG>Jerry >>

Hey, that's what I do - you do whatever you want. Kids get stimulated into the hobby when they find something "valuable" like an old Wheatie or Indian Head. Condition doesn't matter much - just finding it is a thrill to them. If keeping thousands of old pennies worth a few bucks over face in a box in your closet means that much to you, then you continue to do it.

It's just like recycling my friend, one person doing it means very little but everyone doing it makes an impact. Stimulating thousands or millions of kids into our hobby not only helps its growth, but in the long-run raises the value of coins. A win-win situation for everybody.
  • Options
    >>Hey, that's what I do - you do whatever you want. Kids get stimulated into the hobby when they find something "valuable" like an old Wheatie or Indian Head. Condition doesn't matter much - just finding it is a thrill to them.<<

THANKS I DO WHAT I WANT!
    I took the grand kid out to learn how to FIND her own "valuable" finds ! ! !

This "hobby" is metal detecting! Go tell the coin collectors to put their stuff back into "circulation".

The stuff we find is already out of circulation. LOL

Jerry

CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Options

<< <i>>>Hey, that's what I do - you do whatever you want. Kids get stimulated into the hobby when they find something "valuable" like an old Wheatie or Indian Head. Condition doesn't matter much - just finding it is a thrill to them.<<

THANKS I DO WHAT I WANT!
    I took the grand kid out to learn how to FIND her own "valuable" finds ! ! !

This "hobby" is metal detecting! Go tell the coin collectors to put their stuff back into "circulation".

The stuff we find is already out of circulation. LOL

Jerry >>

Just in case you hadn't figured it out, the thread wasn't about metal detecting. Nothing wrong at all with getting rolls and searching for some nice winners. I'd love to search a roll and find a 55 double-die or 09 S-VDB...and of course keep it - LOL. But I say the common stuff worth a little over face - throw 'em back in circulation for the kids to enjoy. - That's all.
  • Options
    >>Just in case you hadn't figured it out, the thread wasn't about metal detecting. <<

Yes Sir, OK___BYE Bye

Jerry

CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Options
    My view, the coins were more than likely placed into circulation by someones grandchild cashing in on the grandparents or stolen by some punks for drug $. With all the distractions kids have today- playing with coins and metal detectors is low on their list. I don't have any kids of my own, but have lots of nephews and nieces etc., I have taken them out with the metal detector, and after the first couple of holes - and couple of pull tabs, and its see ya later. Try to get them into coin collectiing- ah, where's the $$ if any interest at all. I dug a 48 rosie in front of my godson and his girlfriend (and he is also my nephew) a couple of weeks ago ( one of 4 silvers I found that weekend)- to me a nearly 40 year old man- it was a great moment (and I had a witness)- his comment so whats that worth- 10 cents- I replied- no maybe a $1.50 silver at best, his reply- so what? He's a recent college grad pullin down $40K a year now. I gave him several coins (including birth year etc) over the years- no interest- I think his parents still have them. I guess I am the one who needs to get a life- I get a little enjoyment searching rolls and digging holes ( I can say most of my lincoln and jefferson sets were either pulled from circulation myself or found in the piggy banks of my relatives, even a few Mercurys- I could buy coins to upgrade the sets- but I don't- the 1883 Indian I found roll searching went right into my Dansco to replace an AG coin)- at least let me have that and to rest in peace some day knowing I am not an evil old coin monger- give me a break. Do what you want with your coins and detector finds, but don't make me feel guilty about mine. You want something- work for it, or should I say dig for it.