Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

The Official: Magic Johnson PSA Set Registry Forum

I just listed a bunch more cards on Ebay. Does anyone have any extras laying around that would help me on my set? Let's trade!
I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !

Comments

• Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    greg,
    i've got:

81 topps regular and super action - 8s
    80 topps - 8 (not with bird/erving)
    89 fleer - 9
    87 fleer sticker (need to locate them and see what they are grade wise)
    89 fleer sticker (" ")
    90 fleer sticker - 8
    89 hoops - 9
    89 hoops AS - 9
    95sp championship - 8

and a few others that i can't find in front of me. i'll have to look. good luck on your completion of the set.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for looking. Got all of those (or have them on the way)...
    Let me know if you get any more!
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
  • Options
    I'm not sure who's adding more cards to the Magic Johnson Basic set but this crap is really getting ridiculous. Master set material most definitely but PSA is really leaving a sour taste in my mouth by allowing such horrible additions to a basic set.

Someone has recently bought some PSA 9 and 10 Magic Johnson cards on Ebay and PSA has simply added them to the basic player set almost to the effect of, "since you asked we'll include it too" it seems. Spanish cards, European inserts, regional, college and various stickers do not belong in basic player sets.

PSA's responses to these situations to more than just my own emails but other major basic player registry set collectors is appaulling. It won't be long before they foul up registry sets for all of the other great basic player sets.

I may have to put my entire collection up on Ebay or MastroNet...it used to be fun until the recent influx of horrible additions to some of the basic player registry sets. At least in the coin world there's some semblance of sense and reason so I'll invest the brunt of my collecting money there from now on since PSA is obviously seems more concerned about receiving more submissions than the integrity of the hobby.
  • Options
    What does MAGIC stand for

My
    Arse
    Got
    Infected
    Coach
  • Options
    ArnyVeeArnyVee Posts: 4,246
    I haven't looked at the Magic set in about a week. You mean that even after the last bad decision that there are additional cards added? My goodness, if they can't follow their own rules, why have them.
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    It seems strange that they are adding those to the Basic Set. That being said, I am not involved in the Basic Set, only the Master set, and like the fact that it continues to expand. What were the bad decisions that you mentioned Arny?
  • Options
    Here are the "bad additions" in my book to the basic Magic Johnson set:

1985 JMS Game
    1985 Prism Jewel Stickers
    1987 Panini Spanish Supersport
    1988 Fournier Estrellas
    1988-1992 Kenner Starting Lineup Cards
    1990 Michigan State Collegiate Collection
    1991 Panini Sticker
    1992 UD McDonald's Paris Edition
    1992 UD European

As I said before it's just my opinion but to me the cards above belong in the master set...not the basic. Yeah it was easy for me and all of my friends to fly over to Europe as 6 year olds to pick up a few packs of Spanish and UD European cards or to hitch a ride up to Michigan for the college cards.

The line has to be drawn somewhere but they seem to allow these crappy additions on a regular basis now.
  • Options
    I absolutely agree that these should be part of the master set. But, the basic set has an entirely different purpose. Why have a basic set if we are including regional cards and stickers and such. That's what the master set is for. I know that this is a losing battle though because I have been asking to have the Raphael Palmeiro basic set adjusted and they won't do it. The Palmeiro basic set has a ton more cards than the Master! It's silly.

Anyways, I hope that someone at PSA decides to make a good decision in regards to the player registry basic sets.
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    I never look at the Magic Basic set but that does seem ridiculous. The only thought i have from a devil's advocate perspective is that for the 1980's cards there are very few "mainstream" issues to choose from. Maybe they feel the need to give the seat some meat because of that?
  • Options
    It seems they should set up the Registry much like a Wiki -- let the users and collectors decide and "vote" on what should be in a set.
    Currently collecting the Nolan Ryan Basic and Topps Player sets.

NAXCOM
  • Options
    At some point the weights for this set will have to be revised.
    Is that decided by a majority vote or some other way?
  • Options
    Agreed - the basic should be for major national releases and master for the rest. Love to see some posts of the more interesting cards in this thread...

(And Arny - nice to see you on the boards again. You kicked off the 75 mini thread and it's going strong.)
    1964 stand ups
    1975 mini's
    1954 Wilson Franks
  • Options
    Lothar52Lothar52 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭
    aint it interesting when old posts come up...and you see names ya dont see anymore...i always wonder where they went image

Loth
  • Options
    I have the following Magics for sale. WIll also trade if you have something I need for my set...

PM or gregmo32@aol.com with questions.

1981 Topps #21 PSA 8 oc $3
    1981 Topps #109 PSA 8 $9
    1987 Fleer #56 PSA 8 $9
    1988 Kenner SLU PSA 7 $8
    1989 Fleer #77 PSA 8 $4
    1990 Action Packed Promos PSA 9 $99
    1990 Action Packed Promos PSA 8 $39
    1991 Fleer Tony's Pizza #S-52 PSA 8 $49
    1991 Hoops Prototypes #008 PSA 9 $39
    1991 Hoops Prototypes #008 PSA 8 $14
    1991 Panini Foil Sticker #192 PSA 8 $12
    1991 Skybox Video Only Insert PSA 9 $49
    1991 Skybox Video Only Insert PSA 8 $19
    1991 Skybox Video Only Insert PSA 5 $5
    1991 Skybox Video Only Insert SGC 96 $34
    1992 Hoops More Magic #MM3 PSA 8 $7
    1992 Hoops Prototypes Orlando All-Star Weekend PSA 9 $14
    1992 Hoops Supreme Court #SC10 PSA 9 $9
    1992 Hoops Commemorative PSA 9 $9
    1992 Skybox The Magic Never Ends PSA 9 $9
    1992 Skybox #358 PSA 9 $6
    1992 Skybox USA Basketball #28 PSA 8 $3
    1992 Upper Deck European #180 PSA 9 $9
    1995 Metal #161 PSA 9 $6
    1995 Metal #161 PSA 8 $3
  • Options
    JasonM32JasonM32 Posts: 170 ✭✭
    Happy 50th Birthday to the Magic Man. He's my favorite player of all time. I've collected his cards since I was a kid. At that age I wasn't really concerned with the condition of the cards. I have a very large collection of raw Magic Johnson cards but a lot of them are off center or have dinged corners. Now I'm starting PSA Master and Basic sets of him and his rival Larry Bird. Trying to stick with PSA 10 and PSA 9 this time around. I'm happy to see some other fans here.

Bernie Kosar collector

• Options
    HCSHCS Posts: 61 ✭✭
    Does anyone know who is selling or willing to sell a PSA 10 1980 Bird/Erving/Magic card? That is my holy grail pursuit. Any lead is appreciated. Thanks.
  • Options

<< <i>Does anyone know who is selling or willing to sell a PSA 10 1980 Bird/Erving/Magic card? That is my holy grail pursuit. Any lead is appreciated. Thanks. >>

I think DR Panini has one listed for sale on his Master Set.

Bernie Kosar collector

• Options
    One sold on Ebay the other day for about $6700 I believe. And Dr. Panini has one in his Magic set listed for sale at about 9 or 10 thousand...
  • Options
    Sadly, it's going to be a while before I get one graded PSA 10. I have a nice raw one that should grade 8 or 9. It's well centered with good corners and without any of the obvious print lines or defects. It took me a long time to find it. Eventually I'll shell out and get a PSA 10 if an opportunity presents itself.

Bernie Kosar collector

• Options
    "One sold on Ebay the other day for about $6700 I believe. And Dr. Panini has one in his Magic set listed for sale at about 9 or 10 thousand... "

Thanks guys for the info. These prices are actually much steeper than I expected. I was looking to spend $5K. Time save a few Ks more before I start to make offers.
  • Options
    Just saw the recent ebay auction for the PSA 10 (ebay item #190328236525). Does anyone else think how this can be a PSA 10 with a clear line under the N in Magic's name? Centering also has a slight tilt in the front and the back centering is quite off. Not a strong 10. Missed this one on ebay as the title did not include "magic". Seller used "Johnson". I guess I better modify my search term so I don't miss the next one.
  • Options
    I noticed that too. I'm surprised to see a card with the print line get a PSA 10.

Bernie Kosar collector

• Options
    Yup, I agree, When I spend my $5ooo on a PSA 10, I want no print lines...
  • Options
    Does anyone have any PSA 10 doubles for trade?
  • Options
    Does anyone have a PSA 10 1992 Upper Deck #32? I could really use one.

Bernie Kosar collector

• Options
    Hello to all! First I would like to ask, please don't bash me for posting here when I have a Magic BGS collection. I like both PSA and BGS, they both have their pros and cons, and I am not here to debate that. They both have strong points, and both make mistakes. Anyway, I really like Star cards, I like the color, design and so on, and many are very tough to get 9 or better. So if I want graded, I had to go to BGS, I don't like GAI or anyone else. I can't afford everything in PSA or BGS master sets, so I am collecting 1979-1986, 1991-1994 Olympic, and then allow myself cheap common 9.5's just to bring my overall grade higher. My fav Star cards are the 1984 Star Celtics Champs #11 Magic/Bird IA, and the 1984-85 Star #172 Magic, as it looks like DJ left his arm behind trying to keep up with Magic, hehe. I see the complaints about the Magic basic set, well BGS has their own goofs as well in the reg set. They exclude what they consider multi-sport from the players sets, so I cannot enter my 1979 Sportscaster Magic BVG 9. Plus I am trying to get them to add 1986-87 PANINI SPANISH STICKERS #131 MAGIC JOHNSON, to the BGS set. Which brings me to this PSA reg set question: Anyone have a pick of the 1985 PANINI SUPERSPORT MAGIC JOHNSON ITALIAN #131? Check out the pic of my 1986-87, is it the same sticker? And either PSA or BGS have the year wrong? I've never seen a 1985. My BGS reg link, and photo bucket link are as follows:

BGS REG SET LINK

PHOTOBUCKET LINK

If someone knows if they are the same sticker, or are two different years, please let me know. I thought about selling my set, but as of right now, I can't stand to do it.
  • Options
    I always liked the star cards. I have several of them. I haven't picked up any of the BGS graded ones yet. You have a nice collection. I'm not sure about the sticker. I think it's just the one of them. Not sure what is the correct year. Since there is an 87 I would think that the 85 sticker should actually be labeled an 1986. I can't say for sure.

Bernie Kosar collector

• Options
    Hello! Thanks for the comment, I haven't been able to find an answer, Maybe I'll try emailing PSA direct and see what they think.
  • Options

<< <i>Does anyone have a PSA 10 1992 Upper Deck #32? I could really use one. >>

MAGIC JOHNSON BGS 9.5 - 1992 UPPER DECK SP #32A

I have purchased from this gent before, he has good stuff, you could crossover or break it out.
  • Options
    Does anyone have a picture of these cards. I'm preparing to send in a lot of my raw cards to get graded. These aren't numbered and it's making it hard for me to get an idea of what is what. Thanks!

1994 Skybox Premium Magic Johnson
    1994 Skybox Magic Johnson USA Prototypes

Bernie Kosar collector