Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

ANYONE ATTEND REGISTRY LUNCHEON?HOW WAS IT?

I'd appreciate a report from someone who attended. Thanks,
Steveimage

Comments

• Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The food was yummy. Ron Guth was a very personable and entertaining replacement speaker for HRH. The Set Registry software will have an extensive upgrade out in about a month. Many thanks to BJ for a classy gettogether.
  • Options
    Hello Steve, I attended as well. So will give you a few details of the Luncheon. As tradedollarnut stated
    Ron Guth was very personable as he came over to my table after I asked if he was Ron. I had as my
    guest my son Vincent and he talked to both of us as one of the nicest people I've met. He shared with
    Vincent how he got started in coin collecting when he was young. He took many questions towards the
    end of the luncheon. Many of the people started to leave as he had a lot of questions being asked. Was
    kind of disappointed that Homerull Hall wasn't available but Ron did an excellent job of filling in. After
    quite a few of the registry participants left they drew for the luncheon door prize. They drew my name out
    of the jar that all guests had entered upon arriving. Each participant was also given a gift of a ASE silver
    dollar in a special PCGS Slab with Set Registry Luncheon August 2006 on the Obverse. Because many of the
    guest had left my son wanted to leave and find my wife so he didn't get to see Dad receive his present.
    The Luncheon food was excellent had two choices of meat Barbequed Chicken and a wonderfully cooked
    prime rib, with dinner salad and corn on the cob, and potato salad, on a buffet style table. Vincent took
    advantage on seconds as he is a growing 10 year old. BJ Searls was also in attendance and I would
    personally like to THANK her for a wonderful time that all of us had. She was very nice and also
    took time to answer a question that I had for her as well. After the registry awards were handed out
    a special award was presented to Donald Kagen as he was inducted into the PCGS Hall of Fame. He was
    at another luncheon for another award as his wife excepted the award. He did come into the luncheon
    later on though. David C. Harper was also in attendance taking photo's for Numismatic News but also
    left when the QA session also kept going on. I gave Stewart a thumbs up after he received his award
    but never got to speak with him as he left also when the others started to leave. I personally would at
    this time like to Thank Ron and BJ for an excellent Luncheon. I had one question that I asked Ron. Did
    PCGS have any plans in the future to designate PQ or a special designation to Superior Eye Appeal coins,
    such as NGC has done with *star designation. He put his finger to his mouth saying I didn't here that!
    Best chuckle of the Night. They do not and will not give any special note for nicer coins! So all in all it
    was a very good time for all in attendance. At my table was Cocoinut and GACoinGuy, also met Tootawl
    had a nice chat with him on the bourse before I left also.

This is the coin Vincent and myself and the other guests received.

This is the door prize gift that I received.

Here I am enjoying the Gift at home after a very enjoyable Vacation week.

Mike.

Someday A REAL American HERO will be on a coin.
    Enjoying time at home with the family now is my full time passion.

rabbitracks toned showcase set
    myurl
  • Options
    Mike,
    Thanks for the update! Dang, sounds like a great time. I'd love to meet the other registrants someday.
    Especially the Lincoln guys that I've had some contact with. Happy hunting and good luck on that complete
    set.

RegistryNut image
  • Options
    SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭
    Mike,
    Thanks for a great report and congratulations on winning that door prize.
    Steveimage
  • Options
    p8ntp8nt Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭
    I was there sitting behind Mike and although I didn't know anyone, the food was good image
  • Options
    Yet another luncheon that I couldn't attend. Too far away from me again. I was supposed to get an award for one of the 10 best new sets too. Supposed to mail it to me instead. Hopefully I can attend one soon and meet some of you guys!
  • Options
    CocoinutCocoinut Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I sat at the same table as Mike, his son Vincent, and GACoinGuy, and enjoyed talking with them. After we had a chance to eat lunch, awards for top Registry sets were presented to those winners who were present. Ron Guth did a great job of filling in for David Hall, and it was good to see the ever-gracious BJ. The specially packaged ASE was a totally unexpected bonus.

Mike had an interesting coin to show us - a very cool 1946 quadruple die obverse cent, which was very obvious on the "46" of the date. I believe he said that the reverse was a double die as well.

I had to leave a bit early to pick up my 25-year ANA membership pin, and missed the last few questions Ron answered. Still, it was good to be able to put faces with some of the names associated with some of the Registry sets, and to hear of some of the upcoming changes PCGS has planned. Thanks to the folks at PCGS for an entertaining luncheon!

Jim
    Countdown to completion of my Mercury Set: 2 coins. My growing Lincoln Set: Finally completed!
  • Options
    Sounds much better than the last one at the FUN show in Orlando.