Home Metal Detecting
Options

Metal detector HELP

Hey guys, I just got a new(pretty darn old) Garrett detector and I replaced the batteries and whenever I try and tune it or even turn it on, the volume seems to be all the way up. Even when the knob is barely turned. I have no idea what to do, but I really want to try it out. Nowhere in the manual does it show how to solve this problem.

If anybody could please help me out that'd be great!

Comments

• Options
    What model Garrett?

<< <i>I try and tune it or even turn it on, the volume seems to be all the way up. Even when the knob is barely turned >>

Is this knob marked volume? Some detectors have no volume control.
    Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • Options

<< <i>What model Garrett?

<< <i>I try and tune it or even turn it on, the volume seems to be all the way up. Even when the knob is barely turned >>

Is this knob marked volume? Some detectors have no volume control. >>

http://cgi.ebay.com/Garrett-Deep-Scan-Metal-Detector_W0QQitemZ180015642096QQihZ008QQcategoryZ14955QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

You should use head phones with volume controls

Jerry

CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Options
    Here's the MD I bought

It's an old model. I'll take a picture of the knob and everything so you get a picture of what I'm seeing.
  • Options
    OK I got some pics.

• Options

<< <i>You should use head phones with volume controls >>

Jerry is right. You can set the volume so it's not blasting your ear drums..... and you will save big time on battery consumption as opposed to usiing the control box speaker.
    imageimage
  • Options
    PghpetePghpete Posts: 200 ✭✭✭
    I'd suggest you call Garrett and see if you can get a manual for it. I had a later version of the American (my first detector). It's been a long time but I think I remember something about holding that thumb button in while you turn the tuning knob until the meter is at a certain level. Sheesh, looking at what I just wrote convinces me that you need either a manual or a phone call to Garrett. Have fun!
  • Options
    PDF file for your detector.

Also maybe Millennium will chime in since he is very familiar with the Groundhog.
    imageimage
  • Options
    OK, thanks guys, I'll try the headphone thing first. But yeah, the volume on the actual detector is BLASTING loud, I hope the headphone thing works fine.

• Options
    Yes, volume control headphones will solve your problem. I use them on my Sovereign, as it doesn't have a volume control either.
    imageimage
  • Options
    I'm not familiar with this unit..it's not the groundhog like I have. It is similiar, but not the same.