Home Metal Detecting
Options

Meter reading for a jar of coins

Folks, a few weeks back I mentioned how I found a 1916-P Merc at a 1895 farm house demo. I have now moved on to the back yard, and am wondering what a mason jar of coins would read on the meter. Buried soda cans read like a dollar (all the way on the end of the analog meter on my Garrett CX-II). Since I've never found a dollar but quite a few soda cans, I now tend to ignore that reading. The detector will read the tin(?) top of a mason jar and not the coins right? So far the back yard has given up a couple of wheats (soon to be my first electrolysis victims), and several hot wheels cars.

Comments

• Options
    DockwalliperDockwalliper Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭
    Your detector should get a reading from the coins also so depending on the depth you might get a strong mixed signal. If you ignore all the dollar signals you get you will never find a dollar coin.
  • Options
    From experience, I know that the detector will read the Mason Jar lid. I have found just that - a Mason Jar lid. No jar attached, just a lid.
    To support LordM's European Trip, click here!
  • Options
    PghpetePghpete Posts: 200 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Dock,

I know I should dig up those dollar readings. I give it the benefit of a doubt though. When I pinpoint on it, if it's not a short round coin sized halo, then I know (pretty much) that it's a can. Sometimes when the can is buried top the bottom, I get that round halo and dig it up, only to find a can. It's funny how a 70 yr. old coin can be at 5" or so, and an aluminum Coke can be found at the same depth.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I tend to avoid those dollar signals but should probably dig them. Usually it is a soda can.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I read a true story (I'm pretty sure it was by H. Glenn Carson) about a newbie following a seasoned detectorist around a park once. Every time, the seasoned detectorist would park his truck in the same area, get out, and tune his detector in the same place (this was in the old days when one had to tune the machines). He would then walk over to a particular spot that had a loud signal and use that as a test target. The newbie, curious as to what the loud signal was, asked the veteran about it. "Aw, it's just a beer can", said the veteran. "No sense in diggin' it." The newbie couldn't stand the suspense, so he dug the oldtimer's test target up. You guessed it- it was a silver dollar.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.