Home Metal Detecting

Silver and Gold during a quick lunch time hunt... (14k ring + silver dime)

Well, I can thank Zot for lighting the fire under me this time... After finding more old silver than jewelry this year, I figured it was time I start listening for those gold signals again.

I got out to a super trashy park today and thought I'd go right to the worst part in the park where nobody in their right mind would detect. image I thought I'd go trolling through the wacky signals of all the trash and see if anything jumped out at me... Right in the middle of several bouncing pull-tab range signals, I heard a high pitch silver signal. My detector usually reads a clad dime at +79 and a silver dime around +82. This signal was right at +82 but only when I could dodge some of the other signals around it. I checked the depth and it was at that deep turf silver zone of 6 1/2 inches... dug down and I saw that flash of silver deep in the dirt. Turned out to be a 1954-S silver Roosevelt dime. I hadn't thought I'd be deep turf detecting for silver today, but that signal needed to be dug. image

I decided this was the perfect spot to search... where others would most likely avoid. So, I kept trolling... I must have found a couple nickels and pull tabs that didn't have a "bouncing signal" (usually trash signals bounce by several ID numbers on my machine), but then I got a signal that was a hair below a nickel but it was consistent. (+18 and +19). It was reading at only 1 1/2" so I figured it was going to be a shallow nickel or one of those pull tabs that doesn't have a bouncing signal. I started to probe the ground, made a small incision in the turf, stuck the probe in there and found the target... that's when I saw gold. I pulled this muddy ring out and thought it was going to be a class ring because it has one of those big stones, but it's not.

So, with silver and gold in my pouch, I thought- it doesn't get much better than this, and I ended my lunch hunt early today. image

I decided to check it out at home, rinsed these off and found that the ring is marked 14k with a designer's mark.

Here are some pics:
(by the way, the ring must have been worn by a big guy... it almost fits on my thumb!)

I like this one because of the way the stone provided the rainbow effect inside the shadow:

A shot of the items up on the kids' jungle gym ->

And finally, my son (almost 2 yrs old) came out there saying "whatzat?" image So, I let him pick up the finds and this was the only shot I was quick enough to get before he lost interest.

This was a rare lunch hunt today... both silver and gold in one short outing.

Hope everyone is enjoying the last bit of summer, but from the way some of you East Coast guys have described, it sounds like your detecting season is just starting...

HH!

Rick image

Comments