Home Sports Talk
Options

Yankees celebrate groundbreaking for new stadium - or is it an old stadium?

tkd7tkd7 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭
Is it just me or is anyone else wondering why the next Yankee Stadium is going to look older than the current version? I understand that there is the nostalgic trend towards ballparks that started with Camden Yards, but I think its about run its course.

Wrigley Field, Fenway Park, and Yankee Stadium were all constructed to be the most modern stadiums of the time. It seems like we haven't gotten past what was modern 80 years ago. When you look around the world and see the new stadiums (Greece Olympics) and renovated stadiums (Berlin World Cup) that are being built outside of this country, it seems like the rest of the world is leaving us behind. At least the Arizona Cardinals have a cool new stadium.

Let's get back to making new stadiums look new.

Comments

• Options
    bri2327bri2327 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭
    I think you can combine the look of an old stadium as well as incorporate most if not all of the modern amenities the newer venues have. Im not familiar with the entire plans for the new Yankee stadium, only that the outside will have the look of the original, but I imagine many of the modern conveniences will be taken into account inside.

This season I have had the chance to visit 3 of the newer ballparks for games, PNC park in Pittsburgh, the great american ballpark in Cincy, and this past weekend citizens bank park in Philly. i thought all 3 were impressive venues with everything you could ask for. Accessibility, esthetics, fan friendly atmosphere, open air spaces with alot to do and see. There wasnt a bad seat in any of the parks. To me they were extremely nice, well thought out stadiums.
    "The other teams could make trouble for us if they win."
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options
    I'm just saying that its time for something that looks new. From what I've read, it looks like the facade will be back above the stands, the large cathedral windows will be on the outside, even the Yankee bullpen will be in the same location as the original ballpark. It would be a refreshing change for a modern baseball stadium to be built instead of a retro stadium. After all, there are people that are nostalgic about new Yankee Stadium. It would be interesting to create something new and it would develop its own character. Why try to reinvent what has already been done?
  • Options
    I see your point, really I do. It is definately a sign of the times where everything has to be retro. It is one of the buzz words in todays society. Clothing, music, buildings, even cars are influenced by the terminology. Maybe we have just reached the age where everything that can be done or seen or heard has already been done. Either that or we have become too lazy for new thoughts and ideas.

Even so, if they are going to give one stadium the vintage, nostalgic look i think Yankee stadium is the most fitting. Plenty of history to fall back on and it will be a good reminder for newer generations.
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    Baseball has such longstanding traditions, that I don't see much wrong in heralding back to its roots while still having all the modern conveniences.

What you don't want, in thinking too 'futuristic', is to end up with the astrodome, kingdome, or the old expos' stadium...remember tomorrowland at disneyland, and how hopelessly out of date that became?

I think by having a 'retro' look to the stadiums, you're going to insure a building that looks and feels in place for a very, very long time.
  • Options
    Very well said Ax. I agree completely.

Sometimes modern doesnt always mean good, and you have shown by example the point very well......damn, did we just agree on something ?
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭

<< <i>Very well said Ax. I agree completely.

Sometimes modern doesnt always mean good, and you have shown by example the point very well......damn, did we just agree on something ? >>

Ack!

Hang on, let me edit my post....

• Options
    DirtyHarryDirtyHarry Posts: 1,914 ✭✭
    The Yankees will remain in "The Bronx" for many years. Transportaion systems and security will be improved to keep them there. It makes no sense to move the home venue elsewhere.
    "A man's got to know his limitations...." Dirty Harry

Unfocused, impulsive collector of everything ...
  • Options

<< <i>Baseball has such longstanding traditions, that I don't see much wrong in heralding back to its roots while still having all the modern conveniences.

What you don't want, in thinking too 'futuristic', is to end up with the astrodome, kingdome, or the old expos' stadium...remember tomorrowland at disneyland, and how hopelessly out of date that became?

I think by having a 'retro' look to the stadiums, you're going to insure a building that looks and feels in place for a very, very long time. >>

You bring up a good point with those examples, but I would be interested in knowing what the public opinion on the Astrodome was. As the first major indoor stadium, it did break new ground. Perhaps it wasn't perfect and I've never been there, but I do have some memories of the place just from watching games on TV and of all things, the Bad News Bears movie.

If it isn't Yankee Stadium, somewhere down the line some team will break from the retro tradition.
  • Options
    1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    I concur with Axtell .... basically took the words right out my mouth -- including the Tomorrowland reference.

Baseball Parks are different than any other arena. Part of the fun of going to the game is walking around, getting something to eat, people watching, etc. When I go to the Eagles game -- it is all about the game. I actually miss the Vet to this day, as it was so outdated and dirty watching the game is all you really could do. Site lines at the Link are much better however.

I think the "new" Yankee stadium is going to be pretty nice.
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • Options
    DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    I am not concerned about a retro look for a new stadium--it is a great idea. However, my main beef is with tearing down old Yankee stadium. A great job was done with renovating Berlin stadium, so the same can be done with Yankee stadium.

I just think Yankee stadium is too historical to tear down and a new one built in its place just because it lacks a few box seats.
    "So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • Options
    alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭
    Maybe the Yankees should have a green monster installed in the new stadium the way they played in Boston this past weekend....as much as I hate the Yanks, you had to be impressed with the shellacking they put on the Sox....
  • Options
    Does anyone here have any pictures from when Yankee Stadium was rebuilt in the 70's? I lived in New Jersey at the time, and from what I can remember, the Stadium was almost completely re-done. So much so that I never understood why they always refer to Yankee Stadium as being built in 1923 when there seemed to be very little left of the original when they were finished.

If anyone knows an online source of pictures from that time period, I would appreciate hearing from you.