Home Metal Detecting
Options

Kinda OT, but I suspect the folks here will enjoy...

I'm a freshman at Georgia Southern University in Statesboro, GA. image

I'm also an anthropology major.

So today in my free time I went to help out at the Anthropology Lab. Students there have been working a site in SC callled Mont Repose, a c. 1750 plantation.

So I go and say "I'm here to volunteer, what do you need me to do?"

So they set me up with bags of artifacts and a washtub and drying racks and a toothbrush and say "Clean these artifacts" image Boy what fun it was!

I went through five bags in about two and a half hours.

There were shards of ceramics that still had bright glazes and pieces of glass, polished rocks, all sorts of things. I cleaned a couple buttons, pieces of broken glass art objects, a ton of rusted square head nails, wonderful things. The most nifty thing I cleaned I think was a drawer handle, it looked like it was in perfect condition! And it had such a gorgeous patina.

There were also some Indian artifacts mixed in, like flint knapping shards, a poorly made arrowhead and bits of pottery tempered with shell and gravel.

All in all, a very fun morning! image

I just thought I'd share it with you.

I don't get out metal detecting much. image But when I do, I use a Bounty Hunter Pioneer EX. image

-Amanda

I'm a YN working on a type set!

My Buffalo Nickel Website Home of the Quirky Buffaloes Collection!

Proud member of the CUFYNA

Comments

• Options
    kevinstangkevinstang Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭
    Sounds like an interesting old site. Not sure what would be more fun- digging all that stuff up or cleaning it as you did. I was an Anthro major myself once upon a time, never got to do an actual dig (only spent 2 years in that major)-we were supposed to do an 18th French Fort but the landlord backed out at last minute.
  • Options
    Ga Southern huh.....Good school. Sounds like you had a lot of fun..I have always wanted to detect these sites around Brunswick too...
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like a blast, to me. I find archaeology fascinating, but only so far- the part about the artifacts. When they start talking about faunal remains and pollen samples and stuff like that, my eyes glaze over.

Come hang out with us here on the Diggin' forum more, Leiana.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
    BTW, as to archaelogical artifacts being OT on this forum, they ain't. I have long thought that this should be called the "Treasure Hunting" forum instead of the Metal Detecting forum, since treasure comes in many forms, not all of them metallic.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    i have a friend who teaches at ga southern. maybe you know him ernie wyatt. language i think. if you see him tell him his bottle friend in london ky says hello. he collects old coca cola bottles like me.
    thanks greg
  • Options
    LeianaLeiana Posts: 4,349

<< <i>i have a friend who teaches at ga southern. maybe you know him ernie wyatt. language i think. if you see him tell him his bottle friend in london ky says hello. he collects old coca cola bottles like me.
    thanks greg >>

I've been here for three days, so I haven't met many people yet.

-Amanda

I'm a YN working on a type set!

My Buffalo Nickel Website Home of the Quirky Buffaloes Collection!

Proud member of the CUFYNA
  • Options
    robertprrobertpr Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭
    AWESOME! image
  • Options
    Very Cool!

I'm into archeology myself, what a fascinating field to go into!
    Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • Options
    Very Cool Leiana! Sounds like a ton of fun.

A class from Kennesaw State University is also doing a little digging this summer. They are excavating the Pickett's Mill Civil War battlefield this summer. According to the article I read, they've been out four times and have dug up over 100 items. The items are eventually going on display at the park after a little research. Here's a link to the article.....

http://acsdevl.kennesaw.edu/access/story.asp?sto=300

• Options
    I just graduated from the University of Alabama in May with degrees in Anthropology and History. I concentrated on Archaeology and while it's fascinating it's hard to find a job in my fields now that I'm out. image
    I lust for silver.
    imageimageimageimage