Home Sports Talk
Options

Halladay wins 15th ... Cy Young Consideration?

Thought Roy deserved a special thread for this one. Where would my Jays be without this guy. He's a horse. I feel like this guy gets no love outside of Toronto. I know softy has mentioned his respect for this guy, but does anyone else think he deserves Cy Young consideration?

Comments

• Options
    He's a Top 5 pitcher in the Majors, in my opinion. I think he has a chance at it, but more than likely someone from a playoff team will take it.
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils
    1950s-1960s Topps NY Giants Team cards

Looking for Topps rookies as well.

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff
  • Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    He was on his way last year to it, before the injury.

He's been as consistent as anyone all year, but the lack of national exposure (canadian team players have always suffered this) and not going to the postseason will surely hurt his chances.

Verlander from Detroit has to be considered a strong possibility, second behind Liriano in ERA (he's likely done for the year), second in wins, his K's hurt though.
    Johan is dealing, too, third in ERA, 1st in Ks, same number of wins as Verlander.
  • Options
    gosteelersgosteelers Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭
    I think it will be:

1-Halladay
    2-Santana
    3-Verlander
  • Options

<< <i>I think it will be:

1-Halladay
    2-Santana
    3-Verlander >>

Looking at it objectively, Santana should probably win it. Subjectively, I'm cheering for Halladay.
  • Options
    bri2327bri2327 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭
    I cant argue with that. No clear cut winner in either league this year. Halladay definately is one of the most underrated players in baseball.
    "The other teams could make trouble for us if they win."
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options

<< <i>I cant argue with that. No clear cut winner in either league this year. Halladay definately is one of the most underrated players in baseball. >>

The downside of playing in toronto, so little american press.

How many of the great players in toronto (Overbay, Wells, etc.) get any noticable coverage here?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I cant argue with that. No clear cut winner in either league this year. Halladay definately is one of the most underrated players in baseball. >>

How many of the great players in toronto (Overbay, Wells, etc.) get any noticable coverage here? >>

Yup, that lineup is stacked and you never hear about them. Glaus, Rios, and Molina are having very good years, too...B.J. Ryan...They have a shot next year if they can add some more weapons...
  • Options
    bri2327bri2327 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

How many of the great players in toronto (Overbay, Wells, etc.) get any noticable coverage here? >>

Yup, that lineup is stacked and you never hear about them. Glaus, Rios, and Molina are having very good years, too...B.J. Ryan...They have a shot next year if they can add some more weapons... >>

A new manager wont hurt.
    "The other teams could make trouble for us if they win."
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Yup, that lineup is stacked and you never hear about them. Glaus, Rios, and Molina are having very good years, too...B.J. Ryan...They have a shot next year if they can add some more weapons... >>

A new manager wont hurt. >>

Agreed. The Jays brass can talk like they support Gibbons all the want. But perception is very important. How are they going to pick up any topnotch starting pitchers when the manager is perceived as a loose cannon? The players put on a brave face in front of the camera and say everything is fine, but I truly believe Gibbons has lost the players.
  • Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gibbons HAS to go. It is unfortunate that him and the ol GM were roomys once.

Halladay is the Cy Young at this point in my book image

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    I know Spammy's 52 alt ID's would like to give the Cy Young to Derek Jeter, but -

Halladay is my pick, but it's close between him and Verlander. A lot could depend on how they finish, if Halladay can win 20, and if Verlander can stay healthy over the rest of the season. Of course, Santana will get votes, and if Liriano kept going, he might have been your winner.
  • Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I know Spammy's 52 alt ID's would like to give the Cy Young to Derek Jeter, but -
    >>

Why do you say stuff like this? Why even egg him on? He is nowhere in this thread. Stop it already, the more you guys cry about this clown the more you talk about him.

And Jerry, you are no one to talk man with your endless rosy Sox propaganda thoughts. I don't know how many times you rammed the names of Lester, Hansen, and DelCarmen down our throats through the winter and early summer. What happened ??? THEY got nothing but rammed .....

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    I'd like to see Halladay get it, simply for the fact he's been solid all year, and well on his way last year to winning before the injury.

• Options
    I think Johan has this thing pretty much wrapped up...
  • Options

<< <i>I think Johan has this thing pretty much wrapped up... >>

Johan should get it. He may want to thank the Jays bullpen though. Halladay pitched seven innings last night and let in one run and then was removed. Accardo coughed up a grand salami in the 8th. And there went Halladay's 17th win. The bullpen has blown at least five leads for Halladay this year.
  • Options
    Santana should win it, provided the Twins get the wild card. Halladay should finish second. I expect Liriano, Verlander, Kenny Rogers, Barry Zito, Mariano Rivera, Ching Ming Wang and B.J Ryan will all end up in the top ten in voting...
    Next MONTH? So he's saying that if he wins, the best-case scenario is that he'll be paying for it two weeks after the auction ends?

Forget blocking him; find out where he lives and go punch him in the nuts. --WalterSobchak 9/12/12

Looking for Al Hrabosky and any OPC Dave Campbells (the ESPN guy)
  • Options
    CubbyCubby Posts: 2,096
    LaTroy Hawkins

BTW: Cubby=Cub Fan
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Santana should win it, provided the Twins get the wild card. Halladay should finish second. I expect Liriano, Verlander, Kenny Rogers, Barry Zito, Mariano Rivera, Ching Ming Wang and B.J Ryan will all end up in the top ten in voting... >>

I think Papelbon will be part of the top ten
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I think Johan has this thing pretty much wrapped up... >>

Johan should get it. He may want to thank the Jays bullpen though. Halladay pitched seven innings last night and let in one run and then was removed. Accardo coughed up a grand salami in the 8th. And there went Halladay's 17th win. The bullpen has blown at least five leads for Halladay this year. >>

My thoughts exactly. Writer once again I say watch out for the Jays next year, I really have been staying out of baseball threads do to the great collapse of my Red Sox but this thread caught my eye.
  • Options
    That's why I left a spot out. Papelbon makes it back before the end of the season and he's top five for ROY and CY Young.
    Next MONTH? So he's saying that if he wins, the best-case scenario is that he'll be paying for it two weeks after the auction ends?

Forget blocking him; find out where he lives and go punch him in the nuts. --WalterSobchak 9/12/12

Looking for Al Hrabosky and any OPC Dave Campbells (the ESPN guy)
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Santana wins the Cy Young for sure. He'll probably be the only guy to get to 20 wins (if he makes it). If so, it'll be unanimous. No one has been hotter than he in the second half and the Twins are right back in the thick of the wildcard race, too.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭
    Dang it! Roy got hurt again today.
  • Options
    Sometimes I wonder if Halladay has a target on him on the mound. They are saying no fractures though. He was hit with a line drive on the pitching elbow.
  • Options
    Johan will win what should have been his third in a row. Fat Colon, or should I say run support, won the award last season...and that case of robbery is now on file at the FBI.
  • Options
    NOT giving Santana the Cy Young would be a horrible move . The guy has kept the Twins in the hunt, hasnt lost after the break and is something like 32-2 in the last 2 years after the break.

BOX!
    Am I speaking Chinese?

• Options
    Santana will win the Cy Young. It's not even a race anymore. And I'm a huge Halladay fan.
  • Options
    Johan should also be considered for MVP. He's just meant so much to the Twins this year...