Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Shameless plug part 3 for me

when the UPS man came today and delivered a package from DSL it put me at the 70% mark for my 1966 Topps baseball in PSA 9 or better.
i have about 25 10's in that mix
the last 30% will seem to take forever, but i wanted to share this milestone with fellow collectors.

Comments

• Options
    bri2327bri2327 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭
    Congrats ! PSA 9 or better is quite the accomplishment. Good luck on finishing it up, and post some scans !
    "The other teams could make trouble for us if they win."
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    Good luck with the last 30%.

For some reason the 66 set is not popular. I am # 20 on the registry with only about 22% completion. I am trying for eights, but I have a some sevens and nines. There are some cards that have VERY low pops compared to other years, but they do not generate much activity when they come up for auction. In contrast, I have found the demand for 61s (which I am close to completing) to be quite high. I am at 98.98% in 61 with average grade of 7.88, yet I am only four places higher in the registry than I am for the 66s.
  • Options
    MorrellManMorrellMan Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭
    Nothing shameless at all - that's an incredible accomplishment to have 70% of the set in 9 or better. I haven't looked at your set - is the last 30% high numbers?
    Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
  • Options
    theczartheczar Posts: 1,590 ✭✭
    not the high numbers i need so much as some of the high $$$ cards. i have picked a couple here and there, but their prices seem to be slipping so if they are what i need to finish up down the road i can probably get them for less than i could today.
  • Options
    hit the 90% mark with the mail delivery day. have about 70 10's now. also got a blurb in this months SMR which had a write-up about the set.

targeting december 2010 to be at 98%+. the last 10 or so cards may not hit ebay before then.

with the new registry system i started digging through old records to start pieceing together what it has cost me so far. (TOO MUCH) the only upside to that is that i would have lost it in the stock market if i had not blown on the set so a least i have something to look at.
  • Options
    Amazing set, I stand in awe of your accomplishment.
    The Link below will take you to the PSA Boards 1952 Set Build, I also have made 5 slideshows each slideshow is 100 cards long, card numbers 1-99,100-199,200-299,300-399, and 400-407
    Link To Scanned 1952 Topps Cards Set is now 90% Complete Plus Slideshows of the 52 Set
  • Options
    mealewormmealeworm Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭
    Is the set closed to public viewing???
    1957 Topps 99% 7.40 GPA
    Hank Aaron Basic PSA 7-8(75%)
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bring it on home Czar. Way to go image
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    mrpeanut39mrpeanut39 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭
    I agree with Mark. Three years later, and this set gets no love. I have like 13% of the set graded and I'm in the low 30s on the Registry. I think the competion is pretty fierce however. I was frustrated by the infamous mets-71 many times on 66 high #'s last year.

It does seem like there are many cards available on eBay lately. Did I see fuzzdude breaking up his #1 set? Good luck on the final 10% of your set.
    "I think the guy must be practicing voodoo or something. Check out his eyes. Rico's crazier than a peach orchard sow." -- Whitey Herzog, Spring Training 1973
  • Options

Is the set closed to public viewing???

Unfortunately it is Mealeworm due to competition. Number one on the set has a great collection and it very paranoid about it. You will notice he has a second set in the top four. He also has a lot of financial resources. If he knows an active competitor needs a card he will think nothing of putting in a $300, $400 or even $440 bid. He originally did this so much that he accumulated so many duplicates that he started his second set. Recently a card came up that was a 1/3. He owned the other two and put in a bid over $400 on it.

All is fair in love and war. The thing that frustrates me in the registry and not only this set but all of them is the "retired" sets. These sets have been scattered to the winds of other collectors and sold in a lot of cases for big bucks. This all time greatest feature with retired sets on it is ludicrous. You want the publicity don't sell your set. You took the money so get lost off of the registry--delete it--bye bye and let someone who is actually collecting it get their due.
  • Options
    bxbbxb Posts: 805 ✭✭
    Most impressive of all, you did not mention your 9.12 GPA, which is the highest of any 1966 set on the board, even higher than the #1 set.

At this rate, you will be #1 after you get the final 10% - quite an accomplishment, especially considering the level of competition.

It's too bad that competition forces these sets to be closed to viewing - but I know where you're coming from.

Larry

Capecards
  • Options
    bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The thing that frustrates me in the registry and not only this set but all of them is the "retired" sets. These sets have been scattered to the winds of other collectors and sold in a lot of cases for big bucks. This all time greatest feature with retired sets on it is ludicrous. You want the publicity don't sell your set. You took the money so get lost off of the registry--delete it--bye bye and let someone who is actually collecting it get their due. >>

You said it, brother. For some sets, the top five all-time might be composed of all the same cards. image