Home U.S. Coin Forum

Update-keez is winner #2, ziggy29 got it right-2222 Post Giveaway Contest - It is an 1863 3 cent pat

2»

Comments

• Great job Ziggy. Congratulations Ziggy and Keez.
  • keezkeez Posts: 842
    WOW, thank you MrSpud. I really like that silver pak. A very interesting collectible. Thanks for the giveaway. It's my first win (except for 2 wins on behalf of my 2 granddaughters), and congrats on 2222th post. I was sure that was a large cent. It was fun guessing, even though I was wrong, and learned something new. PM sent.
  • ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    Just wanted to acknowledge receiving the '21-D Morgan. Thanks again!
  • MrSpudMrSpud Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭
    You're welcome image.

Here's a good Karma story. Me and MrsSpud took a mini-vacation to Charleston this weekend. We had never been there before but wanted to go and there was a small coin show going on so we went down. While we were looking for coins for our sets, we also kept our eyes out for any 21-D's with die breaks, but we weren't finding any. Then one dealer who we had met before asked us what was going on with the 21 D's after we asked him to let us look at a small stack of them he had in one of his cases. He said that he had a bunch of them at the start of the show and that people kept asking for them and buying them but that none of the other date/mintmarks were moving. We told him that we were looking for VAMS and explained that people collected 21-D's by the die breaks. He then went and dug through some boxes and brought out a new stack and told us that here were some that noone had searched through yet. We found a couple with nice die breaks, including a later stage VAM 1J image which he sold to us with no extra premium for the VAM. It made our day.
  • ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i> We told him that we were looking for VAMS and explained that people collected 21-D's by the die breaks. He then went and dug through some boxes and brought out a new stack and told us that here were some that noone had searched through yet. We found a couple with nice die breaks, including a later stage VAM 1J image which he sold to us with no extra premium for the VAM. It made our day. >>

Glad to hear he didn't yell at you damn cherrypickers and chase you away like a certain dealer has allegedly done... image
  • MrSpudMrSpud Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Glad to hear he didn't yell at you damn cherrypickers and chase you away like a certain dealer has allegedly done >>

The dealer was just happy that so many of these common date Morgans were moving. I've actually had pretty good luck admitting to some of the dealers that I was cherrypicking their inventory. Some, like the one mentioned in this thread, are helpful and pull out more of the same kinds of coins that I am looking through. A guy at the last Whitman show let me look through an entire unsearched roll of 21-D's that he had and he even already knew all about the Fun with 21 book and everything.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file