Home Metal Detecting
Options

Found another...

...Barber quarter (1915). On top of that, I also found me another IHC dated 1891, the IHC #16 of the year.

I have been to this play ground a few times last two weeks and was told by one of the residents that it had been hit pretty hard. One thing though about hard-hit places is that if you can find something, it is going to be good since all of the trash had been removed. I found early Wheaties here and there namely 1910's, 1920's, and the 1891 IHC I thought there have got to be something else here. That something else is the Barber quarter. Nothing more satisfying than finding what others missed.

The IHC and one of the 1910 Wheaties had gone through the tater treat that is why you see a different toning.

Thanks for checking and HH!

Comments

• Options
    Nice one!.....The Barber looks pretty good, the poor Indians sure have suffed though.......image
  • Options
    phutphut Posts: 1,087
    Very niceimage
  • Options
    In a playground?? Wow
  • Options
    Another amazing find. Congrats!
    I lust for silver.
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    Thanks guys for the comments. Did I mention also that the coin came at the expense of my pinpointer? Yep, I busted the pinpointer.

<< <i>In a playground?? Wow >>

Yessir...It is designated as a city park but it is not much of a park to me since it has nothing but a couple of benches and a small tot lot. It's, however, one of the oldest hangout spots in town which I came to realize after a few tips. Folks back in the day came out here to watch the boat launch, told by the owner of the house adjacent to one side of the polygonal lot who stopped me while I was digging to ask me if someone lost something because, he said, there had been at least 10 MDists digging in this spot in the last two weeks...WOW!

I tried again the next day but found nothing. I'm quite pleased with the Barber, nevertheless.
  • Options
    ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭
    Very nice quarter!
    That's quite an achievement given how hard the place seems to have been hit. Was it deep or an iffy signal?
    You're being a steady silver hound as usual! image
    Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro
  • Options
    Thanks Zot.

<< <i>Was it deep or an iffy signal? >>

It was iffy when I swung over it the first time. See, I use the Ex. II and this machine works very well near electrical wires overhead. What I do is that I check again and again when I have faint sound at first or a pause in threshold hum. As fas as the depth, the hole was no more than 8 inches deep.

I reduced my swinging speed a lot and that helps me find better coins.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I haven't dug a Barber quarter since around 1995 (which was the third one I got).

I'm sure I have lamented that fact many times. Gotta do something about that.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PS- WTG, I am jealous!

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    gene2393gene2393 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭
    nice finds
  • Options

<< <i>I haven't dug a Barber quarter since around 1995 (which was the third one I got). >>

Yep, I remember you said that the last time I posted my very first Barber quarter.

You know what LM, it will take me years if not forever to find what you have found. Barbers are oldest silver type I have ever found.

Nevertheless, these are sooo sweet to see when they pop out of the dirt. It is just priceless! The silver quarters are maybe one of the hardest denominations to find, I believe, considering the buying power back in the day.