Home Autographs Forum
Options

Entertaniment Autographs

Hi people,

Would anyone like to chat about the thrilling hobby of entertainment autographs?
I am a registered dealer but don't often just get to chat about it as a hobby. I would love to have some friendly banter with anyone interested.

That was the reason I got into this business to start with.....I love it image It is so exciting and rewarding. We are not just collecting but preserving history.

So post people post. image
www.autographs.com.au
"If They Signed It, We'll Find It"

Comments

• Options
    librtyheadlibrtyhead Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭
    I was interested in autograghs once,for the history but I got alittle scared when I realized that they could be counterfeited easily.How do you tell the real from the fake?
  • Options
    ManMan Posts: 1,002
    I got a few from the actual people.

Patrick Swayze
    Steven Spielberg

and a few others.

Never got any sports or historic autographs.
    And I would never buy any autograph.

If I ever find the Spielberg autograph again I'll post a picture.
  • Options
    It has become daunting in the past years. Especially on places like Ebay where you are battling with 95% fakes Vs authentics. Don't get me wrong, there are some reputable dealers that sell on Ebay, it is just a matter of finding them.

As for telling the difference, it is difficult. Some basic tips are - if you are looking at the autograph in "real life" not via the web, hold the autograph up and shine it against the light. The actual signature should be seperate from the photo. If not, then this is a copy or a pre-print. Don't just look at the autograph but the piece as a whole. EG, you can't get a John Lennon autographed CD. Why, because CDs came out some years after John passed away. Also think about the type of ink, pen, pencil etc used on specific items. Vintage autographs will generally be in pencil or ink, the biro came out much later and won't be seen on vintage autographs. A word on the Beatles too. They are one of the world biggest, most expensive selling autographs but half that sell are fake. They may have one or even two of the authetnics but not all. Also Niel Aspinall signed alot of their autographs unbeknown to the fan collecting an "in-person".

A final word, I generally don't like COA's but customers do, so I issue them. It is not the COA itself, but the dealer behind it that is worth something. Ask questions about the autograph and if you feel any doubt, don't buy. Another will always come along. Man, you are right, in person is the best way. Not only for the satisfaction and authenticity of it, but cost too. It is much easier for USA residents to get them than people like me who live in south Western Australia. Not many celebrities here!!
    www.autographs.com.au
  • Options
    ManMan Posts: 1,002
    Here's the Patrick Swayze and his wife autograph.

On the cover of their DVD movie.

Spielberg's autograph was signed to me and was written on a dinosaur bumper sticker. But I hid it for safe keeping now I can't find it.
  • Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    One way things have dovetailed between entertainment autographs and sports autos is the recent advent of tv and movie based autographed insert cards (I'm thinking of the various Star Trek, Star Wars, Alias, Charmed, Buffy and Lord of the Rings items, among many others.)

You lose the personal touch that way, but it's a good way to guarantee authenticity (because those inserts, like the sports ones, generally don't come unsigned, so if you have one, it's definitely authentic.)

Love your avatar, Susanne image
  • Options
    librtyheadlibrtyhead Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭
    My mother was in a resturant a few years ago and Sony Bono was in getting lunch (he would ski N.H.) she asked for an autogragh and got it on the napkin from the resturant I think having the autogragh on something that the person was known to be at or a picture of them signing would be sufficient to authenticate.
  • Options
    Absolutley, the best authentication method is the photo or unique item that was obtained in person. I always try to carry index cards around with me just in case of a celebrity sighting. It is sure to last a lot longer than a napkin. That is also where phones with cameras are handy. It's like the 21st century autograph.

Authenticating is the most difficult and stressful part for any collector who doesn't get them in person. Unless you can trust the dealer, then there is always that little voice in your head wondering about the item.

I also feel for the thousands of people who have a huge collection of autographs through the mail. Unfortunatley, a great deal of them are pre-prints or secretarials and are not signed by the celebrity themselves. image
    www.autographs.com.au
  • Options
    This is a thread I started under non-sports:

Star Wars Autographs

I collect Star Wars autographs, and I feel good about PSA authenticating some for me (the ones I don't get in person). Of course, autographs that are only worth $5 each aren't forged a lot either image

Paul H.
    www.disc-or-die.com
    www.jamesbondcards.com
    www.vintagestarwarscards.com
    paul@disc-or-die.com
    transparentpunk@hotmail.com
  • Options
    imageimageimage

Here are some images of autographs (from Star Wars) that I had authenticated by PSA. All were obtained in person, so the actual value is sentimental...

Paul H.
    www.disc-or-die.com
    www.jamesbondcards.com
    www.vintagestarwarscards.com
    paul@disc-or-die.com
    transparentpunk@hotmail.com
  • Options
    Hi,

Yes, I never doubt PSA. They are the leaders in the market at authentication. You are right, who is going to fake a $5 autograph? I always refer to Billy Ray Cyrus - Before "Achy Breaky Heart" you could buy his autograph for $5, after it - it was $150, now - you can't give them away. The "easiest" to fake these days is modern celebrities. If they sign anything it is generally in a rush and the autograph hardly ever turns out the same each time. There are a few exceptions to that rule (Tom Cruice to name one - his always looks the same).
    Tom Cruise example for you.
    www.autographs.com.au