Home PSA Set Registry Forum

1976 Topps Baseball

Hello all,

This is my first post on the boards after lurking for a few weeks.

I just recently got back into the hobby a few weeks ago after a 10 year hiatus. I wandered upon the set registry and now I'm hooked. I'm in the very beginning stages of assembling a 76 Topps set in mostly 9's. After my purchases this week I should be nearly 20% complete.

Anyway, after seeing the recent ebay auctions and browsing the set registry, I've noticed that there are some SERIOUS and passionate 76 Topps collectors out there and I can see why. I LOVE this set. While some may think the design is simplistic, that's what I find so appealing. Plus it's got a great mix of HOFers early and late in their careers.

Well, I don't really see many discussions about this set on the boards compared to some other sets and I thought I'd say hello and see if I could strike up a conversation about it and see if any veterans could lend some advice to a novice. Also, if anyone has any extra PSA 9s laying around and wants to cut a new guy a deal, I'm all ears!

Mike

Comments

• gemintgemint Posts: 6,099 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome Mike. I'm a big fan of the 1976 set because it was the first set I collected as a kid. I like the design and some of my favorite cards are the Pirates players (since that's my favorite team), Steve Yeager, Wilbur Wood and Billy Williams. I don't collect the set graded but I did put together a nice raw set from vending. Some day I may get around to grading it but my priorities are grading the pre-1975 era sets.

Best of luck with your pursuit. It looks like you're well on your way.
  • sfmays24sfmays24 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭
    Hi gemint,

Do you have an extra 1976 Topps Traded Ken Reitz card? I don't know the number, but recall one was issued... it's the last card I need for my SF Giants Team set.

thank you,

Mike
  • gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    Welcome aboard Mike!
    Hope you enjoy it all as much as I do...
    --greg
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
  • NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    Welcome.

1976 Topps is one of my favorite sets (It's the first older cards I ever got as a kid.), and I'm working on the set in 8 and above.

Know the population reports on this set (you can figure them out easily by looking at other people's registry sets). Commons that aren't low pops should go for about $6 or less in PSA 9 - and the very high pop HOFers (McCovey comes to mind) sometimes are the same.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,275 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome! I duplicated your post about 2 years ago when I jumped back in after a looooong layoff. I started the 1978 Topps baseball set. With the 78's still readily available in unopened and just at the highest end of "reasonable" prices I had a blast cracking a rack case, a many wax boxes. But any earlier then 78 the prices just sky-rocket. Anyway good luck with you adventure! To me, their is no time period "better" then early to mid 70's Topps baseball. And this statement obviously does not have the dreaded word "value" factored in.

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• gaspipe26gaspipe26 Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭
    Keep your eyes open I usually list 10 and 20 cards PSA 9 group lots.
  • I just added the Brewers team set from that year to my 1977-82 team sets run. I love the pink/purple color layout for the Brewers cards. I was actually going to build the entire set but then I came to my senses! image
    Good luck with building it. Many commons in 9's can be had for $5-$10.

• << <i>To me, their is no time period "better" then early to mid 70's Topps baseball >>

Welcome aboard. I enjoy 70s era topps, both sports and non-sports. The cards are a blast. I remember a month or two back seeing a PSA 10 Eckersley rookie go for $9,000. There is a thread on that one somewhere. I was a very young kid in the 70s that destroyed their cards, so it is really fun to actually see these cards in high grade.
    My sets:
    1977 Topps Star Wars - "Space Swashbucklers"
  • Thanks for all the replies.

I'm not sure if this is just a temporary "spike" in prices or if a herd of collectors just started collecting the 76 set the same time as me, but I have noticed the ebay prices for the stars/HOFers have recently jumped a bit just in the short time I've been collecting it. They are nearing the SMR value in many cases, something which can't be said for many sets. Does anyone have historical values of this set? I'm particularly interested in the Eckersely RC and Pete Rose in PSA 9.

Thanks again. It's been great reading through this message board.
  • Mikey,
    Over the years I have been helping my daughter, Janelle assemble this set and I can tell you flat out that, the two cards you mention, are the cards that draw the most regular attention, especially in high grade (Rose and Eckersley RC). The Brett can also be tough (2nd year card). You will likely have to bid strongly for any of the three.
    Those were indeed the last three SMR noted cards we acquired.
    RayBShotz
    Never met a Vintage card I didn't like!
  • jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭
    Welcome
    I have been collecting the 76 set in PSA and SGC since about 2000. I can tell you that the Rose went as high as 1200 and as low as 400 before. I doubt it will see the 1000 dollar mark again but you can count on it going for 500 most every time. Over the years there have been some big spenders involved and usually you need to wait them out. Obviously the Brett and Eckersley are going to go for big money in 9's say 1000 for Brett and 400 for Eck. The Aaron is also an expensive card usually 350+ but the hardest HOFer is Lefty Grove it is one tough card?I could list a 100 commons that are just plain tough to find nice and centered but it would take too long. My advice to you is wait them out and you can/will build a nice set for less if you can wait for the next one? Pogwizd has done it and he is almost complete.
    Cards I would jump all over though are Geronimo,Fisk,Rice,Powell,Simmons,Yaz,Blue,Rudi,Campaneris,Tenece,Wynn and Torre or at least try finding them raw,its been awhile so things may have changed but anywho, Good Luck

John
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • gemintgemint Posts: 6,099 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Welcome
    I have been collecting the 76 set in PSA and SGC since about 2000. I can tell you that the Rose went as high as 1200 and as low as 400 before. I doubt it will see the 1000 dollar mark again but you can count on it going for 500 most every time. Over the years there have been some big spenders involved and usually you need to wait them out. Obviously the Brett and Eckersley are going to go for big money in 9's say 1000 for Brett and 400 for Eck. The Aaron is also an expensive card usually 350+ but the hardest HOFer is Lefty Grove it is one tough card?I could list a 100 commons that are just plain tough to find nice and centered but it would take too long. My advice to you is wait them out and you can/will build a nice set for less if you can wait for the next one? Pogwizd has done it and he is almost complete.
    Cards I would jump all over though are Geronimo,Fisk,Rice,Powell,Simmons,Yaz,Blue,Rudi,Campaneris,Tenece,Wynn and Torre or at least try finding them raw,its been awhile so things may have changed but anywho, Good Luck

John >>

Is the Luzinski still a tough card? I graded two and got one 8 and one 9. The 9 was the first graded and I sold it for about $250 if I recall. I haven't followed the set that closely in recent years though.
  • jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭
    John
    Its been awhile for me too. The Luzinski is very tough card, I kind of went through it quick and forgot that one. Off the top of my head a few more ,if your a centering/condition freak, that will not come easy.
    Jim Hughes,Monefusco,Frisella,North,Taveras,Lacy,Ford,Briggs and Jim Rice.........
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • The Rose card has fallen off quit a bit. The last 2 sold on ebay for $255. Both were bought by a rose collector and not a 76 registry holder. Link to rose auction