Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

How do you 'snag' the cool coins before someone else gets 'em???

dizzyfoxxdizzyfoxx Posts: 9,823 ✭✭✭
Besides this...imageimageimage
image...There's always time for coin collecting. image

Comments

• Options
    FletcherFletcher Posts: 3,294
    Did you take that pic dizy?

• Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    robertprrobertpr Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭
    You are fast at seeing what's out there, get your want list to dealers before they go to major shows (or just tell them you're in the market for ____ type of material), and you become well known for offering serious cash to get what you want. By the way, if you want to be known for offering serious cash, just let me know what you're looking for image
  • Options
    LeianaLeiana Posts: 4,349
    Magical space leprechauns? image

-Amanda

I'm a YN working on a type set!

My Buffalo Nickel Website Home of the Quirky Buffaloes Collection!

Proud member of the CUFYNA
  • Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You have to be in the circle of trust. It is the only way. image
  • Options
    clw54clw54 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭

<< <i>How do you 'snag' the cool coins before someone else gets 'em??? >>

It's easy. Most of the people here aren't very interested in the ones I find cool.
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Last coin I got, I was told within an hour there were 4 other people after it. I won image

I'm just that good
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    mirabelamirabela Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since I can only afford that kind of thing when the price is pretty advantageous, it's all about being quick on the draw. I've picked up a number of very wonderful things by watching the BST board like a hawk and jumping on listings about six seconds after they post. I don't do it that much lately, but it has worked in the past.
    mirabela
  • Options
    CoxeCoxe Posts: 11,139
    You really need to be in with the right dealers. Yes, you can compete on "some" of the pieces when they hit auctions. However, not all of those always go to auction. (You see them come there, but that is the nth step and you could have had a shot before the consignor even did.) Some very in-tine folks know the important collections and their collectors. If you are an good client of theirs and they know what you want, certain pieces can become available to you before the public and far before the auction. Many of my best pieces were not acquired through public auction and I am sure a lot of folks on here would say the same. (Some are though.)
    Select Rarities -- DMPLs and VAMs
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    what is a cool coin ? image

I snag mine outta the mint since '99... I just wish I knew back then which ones to snag in quantity before they were gone.
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    At a coin show: "Look! Did you see what Dave Bowers just put in his mouth?"

You really need to be in with the right dealers.

Bingo! And even then, sometimes I still have to jam Reece's phone line. image
  • Options
    RBinTexRBinTex Posts: 4,328
    Of course just 1 "angle" is how well one searches for what they want.

Just SOME (& partial at that) of my "search-bots" image

(doubled,double die,dbl die,ddo,ddr,tripled,tdo,tdr,quadrupled,qdo,qdr,l/s,s/l,lg/sm,sm/lg,large/small,small/large,rpm,d/d,d/s,s/d,s/s,repunched,rpd,misplaced,mpd,overdate,ovd,close,wide,vam,snow,light motto,heavy motto,top 100,top 50,hot 50,No D,No S,pointed bust,L on ri,matte,3 leg,full head)

(1805/4,1806/5,1806/6,1808/7,1812/1,1814/3,1815/2,1817/4,1817/7,1819/8,1822/1,1824/1,1827/6,1829/7,1849/6,1852/3,1853/4,1855/4,1855/54,1855/854,1858/7,1862/1,1863/2,1867/67,1869/69,1869/9,1881/0,1883/2,1887/6,1893/2,1894/94,1901/0,1909/8,1914/3,1918/7,1942/1,1942/41,1943/2,1955/55,1972/72)

(dcam,deepcam,deep cameo,ultra,cam,cameo)

• Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I buy only uncool coins.
  • Options
    dizzyfoxxdizzyfoxx Posts: 9,823 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Did you take that pic dizy? >>

Yep, I like to live on the edge... Good thing I had my Swiss army knife with me, I could have been in deep shimage.imageimage
    image...There's always time for coin collecting. image
  • Options
    bestclser1bestclser1 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    You got to step up and buy them.image
    Great coins are not cheap,and cheap coins are not great!
  • Options
    get to the show at the first hour of the first day
  • Options
    RickMilauskasRickMilauskas Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭
    Last coin I got, I was told within an hour there were 4 other people after it. I won.
    I'm just that good.

I wish I was like Jeremy. Maybe someday.image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file