Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

GSA "Circulated" Dollars--Value

DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
OK . . I've done a bit of research, but the minds here cover a lot more ground . . . .

I've seen in numismatic writings that the original (blue leatherette-looking envelope, embossed poly sheet with one Morgan and a white "GSA-General Services Administration" plastic disc -- with certificate) GSA dollars (mine is an 1883-O) are a real sleeper. Not that much to look at (dollar is flatly struck from hammered old dies but is a 63-ish piece), but a nice piece of history. I'll obviously keep it exactly as it is . . . .but any idea as to value? I paid $45 to a local dealer who holds stuff like that for me.

It's not the traditional "CC" in the hard pack . . . but part of the fun is exactly that . . . I see 300 "CC"s to every one of these. I am aware of the basic history from my Morgan references . . . and I'm happy I bought it.

Value on these now??? Thanks . . .

Drunner

Comments

• Options
    That's sort of what I thought . . . not too much interest, but a fun piece of history . . .

Drunner
  • Options
    DUIGUYDUIGUY Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭
    Three years ago I was offered an 1893 cc in the "soft pack" . Price was $3900.00 image
    The seller backed out and decided to keep it , image
    Have not seen another since !!
    “A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly."

- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 106-43 BC
  • Options
    Thanks DUIGUY . . . wish mine was the 93-CC instead of an 83-O . . .
  • Options
    PM 777 , he is up on non cc hard pack prices GSA's and I would suspect soft pack prices as well . image
    “A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly."

• Options
    JulioJulio Posts: 2,501
    I'm into GSA Dollars. jws
  • Options
    PM sent . . thanks!
  • Options
    I think the GSA dollars that are non CC are alot rarer than their Cc counterparts but as you stated they are a sleeper coin and just in the past year or so have become more popular and have the potential to trade at atleast 2x the price of a morgan of that date and mint mark that is a non GSA. Its hard to give you a complete value because they just dont come on the market very much and its hard to get prices they sold for and stuff from dealers that sold them like you got yours from. In any account I think you did very well for the price you paid. all this above is my opinion only and others oppinions may vary from mine so you can take my reply with a grain of salt if you wish
  • Options
    Bryan . .

About as I thought. Nice history to them. I laugh at the "circulated" certificate included . . . obviously it is a mid-range unc., but the marketing of these required only certain options, and it apparently fit the "circ" option best. I'll always hang on to it.

JWS . . . I like them too . . . have a couple CCs in the GSA (including one textile bright orange 82CC). Most others are PCGS in my Registry.

Thanks for the help!

Drunner
  • Options
    gsaguygsaguy Posts: 2,425
    I forget the number of dollars that were sold in the "circulated" category, but they're not uncommon. Some dates, as pointed out by DUIGUY, are really tough to find in the GSA softpacks and bring a significant premium. I've actually got a circ Seated Liberty dollar in a softpack......there may be another out there, or mine may be unique.

Anyway, the 83-0 would not be considered one of the rare dates, but is still a cool coin to own in the original GSA packaging. I'll check my notes to see how many were sold in the softpacks. If my memory serves me, it was in excess of 125,000.
  • Options
    Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536
    I think the GSA softpacks are probably a lot tougher than most people would realize. A LOT of the coins that were sold in them were circulated and probably a lot of them got scrapped in 1980 when the silver value jumped to twice their numismatic value. Then after the advent of slabbing a lot of the Unc pieces were probably ripped out for slabbing because they were worth more in the slabs as MS (Especially during the market high of 88 - 89 ) than in a package that said they were circulated.

I think the survival rate for the GSA softpacks is probably less than half that of the hardpacks, and we know how popular the cracking out of those were during the 70's, 80's and 90's. But until they are appreciated for their historical context they will command little or no premium over the sheet value of a raw coin of the same date mint and condition.
  • Options
    LewLew Posts: 170 ✭✭✭
    I did not see this forum trail until a day or so ago. From my experience with the non-CC GSA I submit the following:

Flat packs – There are over 80 currently known to collectors of the flat packs; this includes both Morgan and Peace and some of the major varieties (7/8TF, O/S, etc). This also includes the Carson City except for 85CC and 89CC. Most circulated but many are uncirculated. Around two dozen of the flat packs are relatively easy to obtain. The remaining can be tough to obtain.

Hard packs – Number of known hard packs has stayed steady at 28 for the last 10 years or so. Several dates/mints have been reported but so far not verified; verified meaning actual viewed and examined by several knowledgeable collectors/dealers. The hard packs can divided into two groups 14 relatively easy to obtain and 14 very difficult to virtually impossible to obtain.

Yes gsaguy has a Seated Liberty in the flat pack. It has been reported to me (not verified) that three others may exist—59O, 60O, and 71P.
  • Options
    I think collectors are "catching on" to non-CC GSA's. Stopped at my local dealer yesterday and he had one 1883-O Unc hard pack for which he wanted $225. I bought a mint state 1885-O he had in the soft pack for $100. About x2 the price of the raw coin apparently is correct on the soft packs. The hard packs are going much higher. The price difference on 1890 and 1891-CC GSA vs non-GSA still absolutely amazes me. A lot of money for plastic.
  • Options

<< <i>I think collectors are "catching on" to non-CC GSA's. Stopped at my local dealer yesterday and he had one 1883-O Unc hard pack for which he wanted $225. I bought a mint state 1885-O he had in the soft pack for $100. About x2 the price of the raw coin apparently is correct on the soft packs. The hard packs are going much higher. The price difference on 1890 and 1891-CC GSA vs non-GSA still absolutely amazes me. A lot of money for plastic. >>

Price a 1879cc MS 64 Vam 3 GSA if you really want to have some FUN !! image

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I think collectors are "catching on" to non-CC GSA's. Stopped at my local dealer yesterday and he had one 1883-O Unc hard pack for which he wanted $225. I bought a mint state 1885-O he had in the soft pack for $100. About x2 the price of the raw coin apparently is correct on the soft packs. The hard packs are going much higher. The price difference on 1890 and 1891-CC GSA vs non-GSA still absolutely amazes me. A lot of money for plastic. >>

Price a 1879cc MS 64 Vam 3 GSA if you really want to have some FUN !! image >>

Yeah, didn't even look at those when I saw the difference on the '90 and '91-CC. On 1879-CC, the best I'll ever do on an upgrade is VF or XF anyway, so why tease myself by even looking image
    I do think its going to be up, up and away on GSA dollars. I was chatting with my dealer and he completely agreed. With a GSA, you can pretty much depend on the fact that you have an undipped coin on your hands.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file