Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1948 Baseball Hall of Fame exhibit cards

Need help: Becket states that the 1948 Hall of Fame exhibit cards (players are framed by Greek columns) were reprinted in 1974. He doesn't indicate which cards were reprinted. Beckett states that the 1974 cards are on extremely white stock. unfortunately white stock will darken over time, thus the color may not be a valid factor to cite. A current offering on eBay states that the "The ORIGINALS have a double line at the bottom of the "frame" just above the writing. The re-prints have a "single" line". Is that accurate? Another eBay seller states that "THEY WERE PUT OUT IN BLACK, WHITE, GRAY AND BROWN
TONES." Is there any way to date the cards based on the color ink?
Any comments, information, or help would be appreciated.
Bob

Comments

• Options
    Carew29Carew29 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭

I am not aware of any 74' reprints. I know the original are heavy cardboard stock and are black and white. The cards are unnumbered and are blank back. The Canadian version come in red, green, blue, and a redish brown color.

Lucky for us, Character is not a fantasy stat!!
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    I had a set of the '74 reprints back them- I remember the announcement when they were offered. Not positive but I think one card was not reprinted- was there 2 Ruths? I believe there might have been another press run about '77 as well.
    Sorry I'm not more precise- College and the late '70's happened after all of this, and some brain cells were lost.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    grayroadsgrayroads Posts: 211 ✭✭
    Thanks. At least the tinted cards now make sense (Canadian).