Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Survey: eBay Hype for 1885 CC MS66DMPL or the Real Deal ?

Indicated as the "Finest I have ever see" by CasperCoins on eBay and starting at 15K or BIN for 20K as part of the Flannagan Collection. Any knowledgeable DMPL collectors agree or disagree ? Or is this just more of the same coin Hype on Ebay ?

Comments

• Options
    TorinoCobra71TorinoCobra71 Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭
    GOTTA LINK?

You hyping this coin for FLETCHER?

imageimage

TorinoCobra71

• Options

CasperCoins has NOTHING currently for sale......

TC71

....off to search PAST auctions........

• Options
    eBay # 110015657791----Sorry no Link
  • Options

<< <i>eBay # 110015657791----Sorry no Link >>

caspercoin.com NOT caspercoins

Link to Auction......

TorinoCobra71

• Options
    Most decent prices guides got it valued at $10,000. This guy wants TWICE what it is worth.....Its outta my price range anyways..... It is a GREAT Morgan for the date though!

TorinoCobra71

• Options
    TorinoCobra71---Thanks for the assistance !
  • Options
    Anytime. Just drop me a PM if ya ever need help again!

TorinoCobra71

• Options
    Is the FLANAGAN Collection considered one of the top10 Morgan Dollar Collections ?
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    To be honest, it doesn't look especially convincing to me as a DMPL.

This date is fairly common in both DMPL, PL and semi-PL finishes, so for the stupid money he wants, I would expect a coin that both knocks my socks off for the grade, and is a no-question DMPL.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    For someone who collects pedigreed coins and who regards pedigrees as vital to their collections will consider the asking price reasonable whereas somebody who doesn't consider pedigrees important will find the coin priced too strongly. The 1885-CC can be found without too much difficulty even in MS66DMPL.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options
    MyqqyMyqqy Posts: 9,777
    Well, at least he's picking up the shipping charge.... image
    My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable !
  • Options
    The guy's picture on the auction reminds me of Blue Moon. image

• Options
    FletcherFletcher Posts: 3,294
    Lol ... no, he's not hyping it for me image Casper's prices are always ridiculous ... even for me. I think my 85-CC 66DMPL looks every bit as good as that one and I got it from Laura for significantly less than $20k. It is at PCGS right now for a reholdering and a trueview photo. I'll post the pic as soon as they get it to me ... but here is Legend's pic of my coin for now.

• Options
    rsdoug81rsdoug81 Posts: 682 ✭✭
    I'm with Dennis. The pic doesn't show the amount of contrast that I'd like to see on a dmpl. It looks like a strong pl but nothing more. As fas as the price...image
  • Options
    bestclser1bestclser1 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    I have seen it in hand and Fletchers is just as nice,or nicer.Laura and Mikey have had better.IMO.
    Great coins are not cheap,and cheap coins are not great!
  • Options
    The last two to sell through Heritage (Jan. 6 & 7, 2006) went for $13,800 and $14,950.
  • Options
    jayboxxjayboxx Posts: 1,613 ✭✭
    The guy's picture on the auction reminds me of Blue Moon.

That's what I thought.
  • Options

<< <i>To be honest, it doesn't look especially convincing to me as a DMPL.

>>

Mee too!
  • Options
    lavalava Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭
    I think if you saw the coin in hand you would feel comfortable the coin is dmpl, but as in the case of Fletcher's coin, you might wonder if it is fully a 66. For whatever reason the CC mints have their own standards.
    I brake for ear bars.
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You're paying for 2 pedigrees, Flannagan and the fact that Casper
    selected/handled it.

Is that the same Flannagan pedigree with the bust dollars?
    It's the only one I am familiar with.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options

<< <i>You're paying for 2 pedigrees, Flannagan and the fact that Casper
    selected/handled it. >>

Are you trying to say that there isn't a premium for the Fletcher-Sperber pedigree image

• Options

<< <i>Indicated as the "Finest I have ever see" by CasperCoins on eBay and starting at 15K or BIN for 20K as part of the Flannagan Collection. Any knowledgeable DMPL collectors agree or disagree ? Or is this just more of the same coin Hype on Ebay ? >>

I owned the Flanagan PCGS MS66 DMPL 1885-CC dollar several years ago and sold it to Bear -- then later bought it back from him. I subsequently resold it to a mid-west attorney/vest pocket coin dealer for a little over $5,000 and lost track of it thereafter. The coin itself was exceedingly clean and at the high end of the grade designation but it wasn't very deeply mirrored and the field was a bit hazy. By today's PCGS standards I seriously doubt that this coin would make it into a DMPL holder. I can assure you that NICER examples of this date in MS66 DMPL condition are available from time to time for considerably less than TWENTY THOUSAND dollars.

Mikey image
    DE FALCO NUMISMATIC CONSULTING
    Visit Our Website @ www.numisvision.com
    Specializing in DMPL Dollars, MONSTER toners and other Premium Quality U.S. Coins

*** Visit Mike De Falco's NEW Coin Talk Blog! ***
  • Options
    Hey Mikey ... when are you going to drop that new High End DMPL article on us?

• Options

<< <i>Hey Mikey ... when are you going to drop that new High End DMPL article on us? >>

Hopefully, a short time after the Denver ANA...

Mikey image
    Specializing in DMPL Dollars, MONSTER toners and other Premium Quality U.S. Coins

• Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mikey:

Thank you very much for joining in this particular discussion. The rest of us are severely limited by not having seen the coin in hand, but you being a previous owner are THE person to tell us what's what. I love getting the straight scoop from someone who knows!
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    JSssonJSsson Posts: 891
    It still looks like a very nice coin!
  • Options

<< <i>It still looks like a very nice coin! >>

It IS a very nice coin -- the mirror surfaces just aren't quite deep enough to merit a DMPL designation by today's stricter deep mirror prooflike standards at PCGS.

Mikey image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file