Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Just bought some game worn hockey jerseys

MeiGray is having their summer sale right now, including some buy one, get one deals. I just picked up 6 game used jerseys which are all 2005-2006 jerseys:

Senators...Zdeno Chara...White...Set 1
Leafs...Tie Domi...White...Set 1
Bruins...Tim Thomas...Black...Set 3
Flames...Bryan Marchment...Red...Set 2
Flames...Chuck Kobasew...White...Set 3 and playoffs
Thrashers...Marc Savard...White...Set 3

All show good use except for the Thomas, which is black so the puck marks don't really show up, and the Domi was bought without a picture, so we'll see when they get here. For those of you that are wondering "What did they run you?" It was $1900 + shipping, not too bad for these decent names

They had a one day sale a couple weeks ago and I also picked up

Stars...Niko Kapanen...Green...Set 3 and Playoffs
Senators...Brian McGrattan...Red...Set 1
Flames...Brian Boucher...White...Set 2
Islanders...Garth Snow...White...Set 3

These four were $1000, originally over-priced at $2300, but reasonable at 60% off.

Just had to tell someone as my wife just looks at me like I am a nut, but doesn't say much either way.

Comments

• Your not nuts, I bought two yesterday. I had been eyeballing them for months waiting for a sale.

Stockton Thunder #39 Irwin, Joel White Set 1 w/A
    Stockton Thunder #19 Foster, Aaron Black Set 1

Something to wear to the games. And look at it this way, I spent $400 on two jerseys, or I could have sent in 80 cards to be graded. Doesn't seem like a bad deal when I look at it that way.
    Always buying 1984 Ralston Purina PSA 9s and 10s I NEED 19,21, and 29!!!
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    GUHoop

That sounds like a great deal! Congratulations.

Unfortunlately they're not ez to scan so we'll just have to use our imagination.

Will you be displaying them?

I just keep my BB jerseys on a hanger in the closet for now.

mike
    Mike
  • ElemenopeoElemenopeo Posts: 2,577 ✭✭

I'm not a hockey fan, but I've heard some fans get peaved if you call the top part of the uniform a "hockey jersey" instead of a "hockey sweater". I wonder, do they usually call it a jersey or a sweater on GU cards?
  • gameusedhoopgameusedhoop Posts: 3,535 ✭✭✭
    Not a real display per say, just kind of hang them off the curtain rods in a spare room. I can hang about 8 overlapping a little. I just keep the shade down about half way so they don't get sun faded. I'll keep them for awhile and eventually the newness will wear off and I'll sell some of them and buy more. People ask me what I collect and my answer is usually whatever I haven't sold yet.

Here's a couple that I have pics of, the Kapanen is still here, the Snow and Cleary have been sold:

Not really sweater material anymore. Just polyester air-knit. The old durene jerseys were much heavier and going back to the 50s and earlier they were usually wool, hence the sweater reference.

Plus sweater is more of a Canada thing, not too many around here use the term, and Massachusetts is a hockey hotbed, or so they say.
  • rvcrvc Posts: 559 ✭✭
    nice stuff, thanks for posting. i was watching that sale as well.

"Just had to tell someone as my wife just looks at me like I am a nut, but doesn't say much either way" hahahhahahhaha

Bob
  • do they smell?
    No, they get laundered after the games, before the are sent to MeiGray.