Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1985 Topps Traded Unopened Pack Question

Any value in this? I remember buying one out of a wax box at a show 20 years ago. Now that PSA will grade packs, I wondered if this was unusual and had any value to pack collectors.

Comments

• Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Any value in this? I remember buying one out of a wax box at a show 20 years ago. Now that PSA will grade packs, I wondered if this was unusual and had any value to pack collectors. >>

My guess is no. Although it may be novel that it was distributed via a pack, the bottom line is that the entire set is basically worthless. You can buy a set today for less than it cost in 1985 - and if you can buy a whole set for $5 - $8 or so, there really is no value to a pack other than as a different distribution mechanism.
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    if it helps bbc exchange sells a full unopened box of 85 traded for 360 so i would say that packs worth about 10 . Just because the set is worthless the packs were rare and unique
  • Options
    bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭
    Yes. They sell easily to pack collectors for $10 - $20 apiece.

Pack collectors don't always care what's inside the packs. Ask Griffins how much he spent on a 1974 Topps Stamps pack (stamps inside are basically worthless) or a 1970 Topps Story Booklets pack (again, story booklets are a dime a dozen). Since both of those were test packs, they're almost impossible to find.

On another note, I'd be interested to know if any of you have ever seen a 1984 Topps Traded pack? It was rumored that one existed, but I've never seen one.
  • Options
    tkd7tkd7 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭
    I've never seen an '84 traded pack.

I think its an evil rumor
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Yes. They sell easily to pack collectors for $10 - $20 apiece.

Pack collectors don't always care what's inside the packs. Ask Griffins how much he spent on a 1974 Topps Stamps pack (stamps inside are basically worthless) or a 1970 Topps Story Booklets pack (again, story booklets are a dime a dozen). Since both of those were test packs, they're almost impossible to find.

On another note, I'd be interested to know if any of you have ever seen a 1984 Topps Traded pack? It was rumored that one existed, but I've never seen one. >>

Bob

I like those kind of rumors. It keeps people interested.

But, keep an eye out at the Topps Vault - ya never know when they're gonna pull something out from the file and if a few packs existed - that's where they may be?

That would be cool.

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Pack collectors don't always care what's inside the packs. Ask Griffins how much he spent on a 1974 Topps Stamps pack (stamps inside are basically worthless) or a 1970 Topps Story Booklets pack (again, story booklets are a dime a dozen). Since both of those were test packs, they're almost impossible to find.
    >>

I concede this point, Bob. I guess, though, there is very little product since 1980 that carries a true premium for having an unopened pack versus what might be inside that pack. Even $10- a pack isn't a huge premium for 1985 Topps Traded. You are right about unopened pack colletors - but I think the really rare, expensive and esoteric packs that cost hundreds, if not thousands, probably exist with few examples extant [1969 Topps Super], and were likely test products.

~ms
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.