Maddux to the Dodgers.

zef204zef204 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭

Wow.
EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions

Comments

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had a feeling he was on the way out when he tipped his cap to the fans after leaving the game in his last start over the weekend. The fans seemed to have a feeling he'd be traded, too. What a lost year for the Cubs. I can't see how Baker can keep his job much longer. I wouldn't be surprised if they lost 95 games this year.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,522 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Wow. >>

Wow
  • Options
    Good move for the Dodgers, quite a bit suprising though.
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils
    1950s-1960s Topps NY Giants Team cards

Looking for Topps rookies as well.

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff
  • Options
    the dodgers needed pitching and got it. why they traded a very good prospect for lugo is a bit surprising though.

maddux is on his final leg. im glad that he's going to the NL West...that way i can see him pitch when he comes to SF.
  • Options
    As a Cubs fan, I'm happy for Maddux.

Maddux is now the best pitcher ever to wear a Dodgers uniform. Please note that I did not say that Maddux was the best Dodgers pitcher ever. Big difference.

Remember these Chuck Norris Facts

1. When Chuck Norris does a pushup, he isn't lifting himself up, he's pushing the Earth down
    2. According to Einstein's theory of relativity, Chuck Norris can actually roundhouse kick you yesterday
    3. There are no such things as lesbians, just women who have not yet met Chuck Norris
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>As a Cubs fan, I'm happy for Maddux.

Maddux is now the best pitcher ever to wear a Dodgers uniform. Please note that I did not say that Maddux was the best Dodgers pitcher ever. Big difference. >>

I'm sorry but what's the difference?

Edited to add:

I just reread it several times and still don't see it. Are you are saying he's better than any previous Dodgers pitcher.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,522 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>As a Cubs fan, I'm happy for Maddux.

Maddux is now the best pitcher ever to wear a Dodgers uniform. Please note that I did not say that Maddux was the best Dodgers pitcher ever. Big difference. >>

Yea no offense but that makes negative sense. image
  • Options
    I think what he means is that Maddux is the best pitcher to wear a Dodgers uniform but that he didn't achieve that greatness while actually pitching for the Dodgers, like, say, Koufax or Drysdale.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

<< <i>I think what he means is that Maddux is the best pitcher to wear a Dodgers uniform but that he didn't achieve that greatness while actually pitching for the Dodgers, like, say, Koufax or Drysdale. >>

Yup, sorry for the confusion, but grote15 hit it on the head. Thanks

Remember these Chuck Norris Facts

1. When Chuck Norris does a pushup, he isn't lifting himself up, he's pushing the Earth down
    2. According to Einstein's theory of relativity, Chuck Norris can actually roundhouse kick you yesterday
    3. There are no such things as lesbians, just women who have not yet met Chuck Norris
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I think what he means is that Maddux is the best pitcher to wear a Dodgers uniform but that he didn't achieve that greatness while actually pitching for the Dodgers, like, say, Koufax or Drysdale. >>

Yup, sorry for the confusion, but grote15 hit it on the head. Thanks >>

Sorry but I'll take Koufax over Maddux any day of the week image Maybe Drysdale as well but not as much of a clear cut choice.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    Maddux in his prime is one of the few pitchers who could stand on the same mound as Koufax, and unfortunately for Koufax, injury ended his career early, so Maddux overall gets the slight nod, IMO. After all, this guy has won over 325 games in his career, most of which he played when pitchers pitched every fifth day instead of every fourth. As impressive and as nasty as Drysdale was, he's not on the same level as Maddux, career-wise.

• Options
    Koufax vs. Maddux is a debate with strong merit on each side. Depending on how greatness/dominance is measured vs. long time ability, there may be two correct answers for this. This is an interesting case.

Drysdale vs. Maddux? Come on. Any way this is looked at will certainly favor Maddux.
  • Options
    zef204zef204 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭
    I would take Maddux's career over both Koufax and Drysdale's. On a given night choosing Maddux or Koufax in their prime is a different debate.

I agree, Maddux is now the best pitcher ever to wear a Dodgers uniform.
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options
    bri2327bri2327 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭
    Nice comparison.

Overall career I would take Maddux. In their prime, thats another story. I never saw Koufax play but it would be hard to choose anyone over him when he was at his best.

I know I will get alot of guff over saying this, but Fernando is right up there as far as best in a Dodgers uniform if you take him at his best. Didnt the guy pitch like 7 or 8 complete game shutouts in his first dozen or so starts ?
    "The other teams could make trouble for us if they win."
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options
    maddux pitched in an era where bullpens were overused, pitch counts were watched very carefully, offense in general was at it's highest in nearly 4 decades and good, solid starting pitching was very scarce (at one point, such luminaries as pedro astacio and kent bottenfield were considered top of the line starters in the 90's). There's a reason that only a handful of starting pitchers, if that, produced in the 80's and 90's are hall of fame worthy.
  • Options
    I will admit that I'm a little biased with Greg. Being a NL guy, I would see his pitches a foot outside yet the ump would call a strike. Perez (I believe it was) would frame the pitch perfectly and he would get benefit of the doubt. Yes, he did deserve respect but it got to the point where hitters HAD to swing outside the zone because it was going to be called a strike.
  • Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    Maddux is like Jordan - always got the benefit of the doubt. The great ones always get it.

Maddux is an all time great, and deserves the respect that comes with it. You don't get to 300+ wins by getting balls always called outside.